speculation regarding next gen consoles

UT66

ok, so Microsoft is seeking staff for the next box

Lets speculate:

1) release date? > 2012 / 2013 / 2014 (lol)

2) price? > 200$ / 250$ / 350$ / 400$ (lol)

3) GPU / CPU / MEMORY @ horsepower ( mii2 aka ocd 360 / mild changes / brand new architecture)

4) control? (gamepad, kinect alone, kinect + motion controller clone, kinect + gamepad + motion controller)

5) Other gimmicks ( emphasis in 3D, kinect, other BS)

6) Form of media? ( DVD, bluray, SD cards, digital distribution)

7) Storage? ( HDD, SSD, ETC)

8) branding? ( same name, new name, etc)

what i want ( as a pc gamer)

1)2012

2) $350

3) GPU more powerful than HD 6990, COMPETENT 6 CORE CPU, 4GB DDR5

4) motion control ( refined wii clone)

5) please no

6) digital distribution

7) SDD

8) dont care

what i would do?

1) 2012

2) $250

3) GPU more powerful than HD 5770, improved xenon, 2 GDDR5

4) motion control ( refined wii clone)

5) please no

6) online digital distribution

7) SDD

8) new name

whats ms going to do?

1) 2013

2) $350

3) slightly improved ( dx12?) Xenos / xenon, 768 MB ddr5

4) old gamepad + kinect bundled in all boxes.

5) "improved" kinect, heavy focus on pseudo 3D, HD movies, 3D movies, etc

6) proprietary dvd format

7) regular HDD

8) xbox " something- something"

the article

Microsoft is ramping up development of its next generation Xbox console according to job positions being advertised on business networking site LinkedIn, brought to light on the Beyond 3D Forum.

The first position advertised is for a Graphics Hardware Architect, working with the team that is "responsible for defining and delivering next-generation console architectures from conception through implementation".

"The responsibilities include architecture analysis, key technology selection, architecture specification, communication and collaboration with extended Microsoft teams and partner companies," according to the advert.

Microsoft's preferred person for the position has been involved in the creation of graphics hardware and is familiar with the concepts of design, production yields and cost analysis, and at the same time is aware of how the hardware interfaces with PC and console operating systems.

"The ideal candidate will have been the lead architect and/or implementation lead of a 3D graphics core. The candidate must have taken designs from investigation to end-customer shipment during their career."

The second position has Microsoft hunting for a new Senior Architect and Performance Engineer for the Xbox Console Architecture Group.

"Our group is involved in product definition from early evaluation all the way through high volume manufacturing," the LinkedIn ad read.

"The main focus of this position is on performance evaluation and modelling. However, involvement in all aspects of product development regularly occurs. We are looking for someone who is flexible, and wants to be involved with various stages of the product life cycle. During different stages of the product life cycle responsibilities will vary."

The final position sees Microsoft seeking a Senior Hardware Design Verification Engineer, responsible for elements of development in both Xbox 360 and its next-gen successor.

"You will be responsible for the design verification and qualification of the Xbox console at the component, motherboard, and system levels," according to the platform holder.

"You will lead test strategy discussions, develop test methodologies and plans and project-manage qualification cycles."

So, what does this recruitment drive actually tell us? Are there any clues as to the make-up of the next console? Right now, not much, but it does appear to be the first official confirmation that development of the new machine is underway.

However, the most intriguing element of the story is just how early on in production we appear to be - far earlier than many had suspected. Unless Microsoft is actually planning pre-production of the next next-gen console, the evidence seems to suggest that the system is so early in development that the graphics hardware at the very least hasn't been locked down.

Edited by UT66

mmm, good input guys, that was an interesting discussion on the subject. Lets do this again sometime :no:

just because nobody responds within 8hrs doesn't mean anything. and when you double post with sarcasm you're either just trolling or are just plain impatient. also if you didn't leave such large gaps in your post people would find it easier to read and make an educated response.

Ontopic: i feel its way too early to speculate about the next gen consoles based on a couple of job advertisements from microsoft. when you look at inovation from the last generation to the current its hard to predict future inovation without insider knowledge. one of the positions sounds like they're going to be able make 1 person accountable for failures like the 360's RROD.

personally i would not want the next gen of consoles to launch before 2013. given that the ps3 has the latest disc format I see nintendo and M$ updating sooner than sony if only to adopt the bluray format (and nintendo getting some HD graphics). i predict the launch cost of the next gen M$ console being in the $400+ range

Edited by bilcliff

Sony will make adopting BluRay economically not viable for MS and Nintendo. They own the format and are best prepared for games that are rapidly growing in size and will command a huge premium to let their competition benefit from it too.

You'll not see anything until around 2013/2014 in reality.

innovation ? "__" you are talking about the wii here, right? i mean both sony and ms just copy paseted the pc gaming experience and downgrade it to the bare minimum... 8 guys pear to pear lag fest, ridiculous retro old gamepad ( for shooters!) , sub HD, sub 30fps, 8 hour incomplete games ( downloable content!) no depth no innovation. not a single original idea. to me the wii is the only original console. the other to are just "pc lites"

getting back to the subject, i have the feeling both ms and sony are just clueless of what to do next ( just look at the new psp, it does everything and nothing) ms tried to disrupt the market with the kinect thing, but is clearly not working for them,

( i mean games?) sony half baked the move thingy... nice move people love ping pong balls specially big glowing ones ( reflecting on my big arse LCD)

, if they want to compete they MUST 1) launch with a competent wiimote clone, 2) compelling software

3) or try something new, something risky, and radical, different, besides " HD ·3D interrractive grafics"

• Like 1

innovation ? "__" you are talking about the wii here, right? i mean both sony and ms just copy paseted the pc gaming experience and downgrade it to the bare minimum... 8 guys pear to pear lag fest, ridiculous retro old gamepad ( for shooters!) , sub HD, sub 30fps, 8 hour incomplete games ( downloable content!) no depth no innovation. not a single original idea. to me the wii is the only original console. the other to are just "pc lites"

getting back to the subject, i have the feeling both ms and sony are just clueless of what to do next ( just look at the new psp, it does everything and nothing) ms tried to disrupt the market with the kinect thing, but is clearly not working for them,

( i mean games?) sony half baked the move thingy... nice move people love ping pong balls specially big glowing ones ( reflecting on my big arse LCD)

, if they want to compete they MUST 1) launch with a competent wiimote clone, 2) compelling software

3) or try something new, something risky, and radical, different, besides " HD ·3D interrractive grafics"

Personal Opinion Much?

I believe Sony is doing just fine offering new stuff to gamers. The new PSP is pretty much packed full of the stuff that people want now a days, Touch Screen and Cameras on both sides, people love that stuff. The Move is pretty successful from what I've seen, I don't know anyone that has said much of anything bad about it, most people I know love the fact that it looks like a "toy". You can't say the Move sucks because you got a stupid glossy TV, who does that? Aside from people that love mirrors. Try something new and risky besides 3D? Isn't that what Nintendo is aiming for? You can't call Nintendo innovative and then later say that the thing they're aiming for isn't innovative.

As for what I think about the next generation of consoles, I think sony is going to hold for quite a while yet as their Cell processor seems to still be putting them in the game so far. I think Nintendo could hold out for a while yet if they wanted to but I think they're going to attempt to release alongside Microsoft. I have no idea what Microsoft plans to do, I think Bungie is pretty much tired of producing cashcows for the xbox, their only hope in my opinion is release before Sony and Nintendo because the big attraction with the xbox is the online community, so the sooner they get people onto the next xbox the better their chances are of using people to sucker friends into getting it.

i hope you are joking about the price...

hmm deathmineral im starting to think you like ps3/sony a lot more than xbox/microsoft...

You are correct with that assumption. :P

It's not that I like PS3 more necessarily, it's just that I don't like xbox at all, mainly because of it's fanbase. However if you're referring to how I didn't comment on the Kinect, I haven't tried it personally, but I've heard good and bad things about it, most of the good stuff being how you can use it on PC.

Edited by Deathmineral

Personal Opinion Much?

I believe Sony is doing just fine offering new stuff to gamers. ( i believe yu are wrong) The new PSP is pretty much packed full of the stuff ( thats not good, is like they are trowing st to the wall to se what sticks, no clear focus) you nn that people want now a days, Touch Screen and Cameras on both sides, people love that stuff. ( really? nah, you got it al wrong > less is more) The Move is pretty successful from what I've seen, (lol?) I don't know anyone that has said much of anything bad about it, most people I know love the fact that it looks like a "toy". You can't say the Move sucks because you got a stupid glossy TV, ( no sir, the glowing ball is freaking stupid, my lcd is fine thanky verymuch, i mean i like to play with my lights off, reflection or not, who the HELL wants a glowing ball in the face? is freaking distracting, so much fail... ) who does that? Aside from people that love mirrors. Try something new and risky besides 3D? Isn't that what Nintendo is aiming for? You can't call Nintendo innovative and then later say that the thing they're aiming for isn't innovative.

( there is a big difference, with sony you have to 1) buy the big butt sony 3d lcd 2) wear ridiculous silly glasses ( silly is like a sony philosophy now it seems) 3) is not the main focus of the system, just another of your favb bullet points .

with nintendo, you dont have to use silly glasses, dont have to buy anyhting except the 3ds, and 3d is the main focus of the system, not just an afterthought)

As for what I think about the next generation of consoles, I think sony is going to hold for quite a while yet as their Cell processor seems to still be putting them in the game so far. (lol? how so covering the poor rsx arse? because the cell dsnt seem to work for the rest of the devs @ world judging from the terrible performance of every single multiplat game in town ) I think Nintendo could hold out for a while yet if they wanted to but I think they're going to attempt to release alongside Microsoft. I have no idea what Microsoft plans to do, I think Bungie is pretty much tired of producing cashcows for the xbox, their only hope in my opinion is release before Sony and Nintendo because the big attraction with the xbox is the online community, so the sooner they get people onto the next xbox the better their chances are of using people to sucker friends into getting it.

agree. ( finally) I think Ms is going first, ( worked find for them) and sony later. nintendo is a wild card. i think they dsnt care about places ( as long money is in) they are going to squeeze as much $$$ they can out of the wii regardless of both sony and ms. ( while focusing on the 3DS) new bundles, colors, lower price and when the 3DS starts to print money, they will focus on the wii2.

btw, iIm a pc gamer. never in my life owned any console, ever. dont care about nintendo, mario, zelda etc. The same goes to Ms and sony. do not care about metal gear BS, " uncharted" LOL, Gears of war , halo, etc to me thats all trash.

i do respect nintendo, why? they dont fk up pc games

It's a shame the OCC Awards Nominations are closed or I would totally nominate you Worst User of English Language. I can't even take you seriously with the kind of grammar you use, not that I need to since you're clearly trolling.

Edit: Actually the nominations are still open.

Edited by Deathmineral

It's a shame the OCC Awards Nominations are closed or I would totally nominate you Worst User of English Language. I can't even take you seriously with the kind of grammar you use, not that I need to since you're clearly trolling.

Edit: Actually the nominations are still open.

Thats ok, i would totally nominate you " most obtuse user ever" ( if i cared ) guess you have to recur to the nazi grammar angle since you just cant dispute my points. btw trolling what? did i offend your console sensitivity or something?