A weird network issue.

So one of the computers on my network which has Windows Vista home, has some issues when turned on. Its almost like the router isn't assigning the computer an IP when windows starts up...

My thoughts is that its Vista being crappy... I might upgrade it to 7 if I need too. When I bypass the router and go straight to the modem I get an IP and it connects just fine. Or when I unplug the network cable and plug it back in or into another port it connects...

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Every other computer on the network is fine and connects just fine.

So one of the computers on my network which has Windows Vista home, has some issues when turned on. Its almost like the router isn't assigning the computer an IP when windows starts up...

My thoughts is that its Vista being crappy... I might upgrade it to 7 if I need too. When I bypass the router and go straight to the modem I get an IP and it connects just fine. Or when I unplug the network cable and plug it back in or into another port it connects...

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Every other computer on the network is fine and connects just fine.

Have you tried to assign an ip to it to see if it connects without screwing with it? Maybe even try another network adapter?

It kind of sounds like to me that your LAN Port is not waking up during bootup.

You said it works fine if you unplug and then plug it back in. Which in my mind as soon as you plug it in would trigger it to wake up.

If it is an Onboard LAN there might be an option in your bios. Something along the lines of Wake-on-LAN (Maybe?) Its been a while since I have been in a Bios screen.

Make sure it is enabled or that it is turning on during the boot process.

If it is not onboard there might be a setting in windows but I am not positive. I would replace the card or try a different slot. It is possible that it might be going bad.