Custom PC build. Comments

s0up2up

Hey everyone,

Just have a build in mind and was wanting comments on it.

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced (Black)

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W

RAM: 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 PC10666/1333MHz CL9 4GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 Box

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6870

DVD: Asus DRW-24B3ST

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 32MB 1Tb

Is there anything that I have missed out?

Also looking at fitting a second 6870 somewhere down the track and maybe overclocking the CPU (Hence the P67 mobo and K series CPU) so is the PSU all sweet? When over clocking the CPU I would be adding a aftermarket fan for the CPU and the extra fans if I need it. (There is space for an extra 7 fans if its needed)

So have I screwed up anywhere?

Cheers,

Brendan

Hey everyone,

Just have a build in mind and was wanting comments on it.

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced (Black)

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W

RAM: 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 PC10666/1333MHz CL9 4GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 Box

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6870

DVD: Asus DRW-24B3ST

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 32MB 1Tb

Is there anything that I have missed out?

Also looking at fitting a second 6870 somewhere down the track and maybe overclocking the CPU (Hence the P67 mobo and K series CPU) so is the PSU all sweet? When over clocking the CPU I would be adding a aftermarket fan for the CPU and the extra fans if I need it. (There is space for an extra 7 fans if its needed)

So have I screwed up anywhere?

Cheers,

Brendan

Changing PSU to Seasonic X-650 650W. Anyone think there will be any problems with wattage strain?

Also would be looking at using for Gaming mostly. I also a NZer, so some components may not be available here.

Firstly welcome to OCC s0up2up! :thumbsup:

Your planned system, even with overclocks, a few extra fans and a second 6870 graphics card, will run fine on a decent 550w PSU with at least 37 amps on the +12 volt rail. That Seasonic X-650 is an excellent pick for a PSU as it has 54 amps on the +12 volt rail and has proven to be an extremely well built PSU.

The rest of the build looks great although I am slightly confused as to how much RAM you are getting. Is that 2 sets of 4 gb sticks or 2 sets of 2x2gb sticks or just 2x2gb sticks?

Also, while I am not sure how much you are willing to spend on your build, I would highly recommend that you consider getting a SSD of at least 60gb in size. Getting an SSD would probably be one of the most rewarding components, performance wise, than any other component in your build as it really makes things a hell of a lot faster. SSDs are well worth it!

:cheers:

Edited by Alexandre

Looks solid mate :thumbsup:

If your going to overclock, i would change the ram to a 1600mhz set.

I would also change the hdd to a samsung f3 1tb as they have better performance :) also have heard a lot of people having problems with seagate drives.

other than that, its going to serve you well

Cheers

Edited by eisbar

Looks solid mate :thumbsup:

If your going to overclock, i would change the ram to a 1600mhz set.

I would also change the hdd to a samsung f3 1tb as they have better performance :)

other than that, its going to serve you well

Cheers

Do you think he'll need a 1600MHz set? Generally people get them for overclocking using the FSB but since he can't really alter the FSB on the SB chip do you think it will really matter?

I am actually curious as to the answer to this question myself...I don't really know if high frequency DRAM sets are worth it for SB systems in general.

Anyone have any thought?

well, seeing as 1333mhz and 1600mhz are pretty much the same price (atleast they are in aus) it wouldnt hurt would it?

If you're the type of person that runs dozens of applications all at once, then a higher memory frequency does help, particularly when you're running demanding software. However, our testing shows that memory rated at over 1,866MHz doesn't give much extra performance. Worse still, in some applications only 1,333MHz memory gives a performance penalty, meaning that 1,600MHz memory is fine.

EDIT: If you're doing anything other than heavy multi-tasking - this goes for gamers in particular - then a 1,600MHz or 1,866MHz kit is plenty. You could opt for CL8, as we saw some advantage in the video encoding test, but we wouldn't obsess over this factor, especially if a CL9 kit is much cheaper.

source: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/12

EDIT: after reading again, i realised that post had nothing to do with overclocking, im actually not too sure. I dont know too much about overclocking the sandybridge cpus so maybe your right. but i mean, if its only one or two bucks more, whats the harm? it could help.

Edited by eisbar

well, seeing as 1333mhz and 1600mhz are pretty much the same price (atleast they are in aus) it wouldnt hurt would it?

source: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/12

EDIT: after reading again, i realised that post had nothing to do with overclocking, im actually not too sure. I dont know too much about overclocking the sandybridge cpus so maybe your right. but i mean, if its only one or two bucks more, whats the harm? it could help.

Yeah if it is only a few bucks difference then your probably right though I don't think there will be much of a noticeable performance increase.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the comments guys,

SSD is going to push the price out alittle bit too far, that I can handle, I would really like to own one... Could be an upgrade option latter on :-(

Build is now this.

Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 32MB 1TB

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz

G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9

Lite-On iHAS324

Sapphire Radeon HD6870

Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse

Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced (Black) Midi tower chassis

Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Motherboard

Corsair CMPSU-650HX 650W

TP-Link TL-WN851N

It should cost me just under NZ$2000 all up in total.

Unless you guys can see any way of making it cheaper?