New to OCC

combatzombie

Okay, I put together my own rig, and tried using the AMD overdrive utitlity which auto-tuned it to 3.8Ghz from 3.4Ghz on a 955 BE with a Xigmatek Red Scorpion S1283 H.D.T. CPU Cooler and artic silver 5 thermal paste, but

didn't run stable. I am new to overclocking, and decided it's best I do it in bios.

I don't want to change my RAM, just stuff on the mobo, and cpus

I have a AMD Phenom x4 965 BE processor with the above mentioned cpu cooler (which is idling at 41 degrees celcius, is this hot?)

and the motherboard I have is a Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3, Model: MA77OT-UD3P

I have an Antec 902 chassis and LOTS of fans.

I appreciate any and all help in assisting me to get this puppy running overclocked and stable, as well as advice/suggestions. If I left any details out of what I need to list, let me know

Welcome to OCC

41 at idle seems a little high, just make sure it doesnt go over 62 at full load, my 965 is at 45 degrees full load @3.8ghz so id say your a little warm, i wouldnt use the overdrive at all, do it in the bios, the 965 has an unlocked multi so that makes things easy, just bump the multipler up some and then add some volts, do it nice and slow a little bit at a time and stress test for a few hours checking the temps along the way, and when you get to where you want stress test for a much longer time, and if you run into instabilitys up the volts, unless its to hot, then lower the multi, and keep the volts down enough to get a safe temp, i try to keep mine under 55 degrees that way any changes in ambient air temps or dust build up wont hurt the chip.

Im sure some of the more experienced oc'ers around here will have more to say, good luck on your oc!

I just looked up the cooler that you have and it doesnt seem that beefy, so id say you wont get to 4.0 like a lot of these chips will.

Edited by camaro_dude15

Welcome to OCC :cheers:

41 idle is VERY HIGH! I would say you have an issue with the cpu cooler install. I would try re-seating the cooler and checking the temps again. I know when I had my AMD 965, it would idle around 28C, and like camaro said his load temps @ 3.8GHz are 45C. You definitely have a cooling issue right now, but it is probably either the contact the cpu is getting from the cooler, or the thermal paste application. Like I said, try re-installing the cooler, should probably fix this issue! But, make sure to pay attention to the thermal paste spread when you take the cooler off. If you don't have a very thin layer across the enitre cpu, then you applied it incorrectly.

Also, just a side note - this thread is for saying hi to everyone as a new OCC member. This kind of question would be better off over in this thread

Welcome to OCC cheers.gif

41 idle is VERY HIGH! I would say you have an issue with the cpu cooler install. I would try re-seating the cooler and checking the temps again. I know when I had my AMD 965, it would idle around 28C, and like camaro said his load temps @ 3.8GHz are 45C. You definitely have a cooling issue right now, but it is probably either the contact the cpu is getting from the cooler, or the thermal paste application. Like I said, try re-installing the cooler, should probably fix this issue! But, make sure to pay attention to the thermal paste spread when you take the cooler off. If you don't have a very thin layer across the enitre cpu, then you applied it incorrectly.

Also, just a side note - this thread is for saying hi to everyone as a new OCC member. This kind of question would be better off over in this thread

well i know that overclocking utilities are known for using far more volts than you need and that can contribute to his high temps, and im using a cooler probably twice the size of the op's

well i know that overclocking utilities are known for using far more volts than you need and that can contribute to his high temps, and im using a cooler probably twice the size of the op's

Maybe the volts set to "auto" could be running higher than needed, but I still don't think enough to cause 41C idle temps. His cpu would prob not even run that high idle with the stock AMD cooler. So although his load temps with his cooler might not be as efficient as yours, for an AMD cpu, his idle temps suggest a problem somewhere!

Welcome to OCC :cheers:

thanks guys, sorry for posting in the wrong thread, i'll respost in the thread you gave me a link too. Appreciate the input, and I will reseat the cpu cooler and hopefully apply it correctly. I've watched videos, done it before, but I think you're right...too hot for idle. I'm using

arctic silver 5 so the paste isn't the problem, it's apparently the "paste-ee". Thanks!