Unofficial OCC 'Beer Discussion' Thread

Andrewr05

2011 OCC 'What beer are you drinking now?' Thread

Everyone likes beer and if you say you don't like beer than you haven't had a good beer...

Beer is awesome and there truly is a beer for everyone.

If you are of drinking age and want to discuss beer then this is the place!

Ideas for topics:

• Asking for recommendations
  • Talking about specific styles, types, flavors or brands
  • Showing off what beer you're drinking now
  • and for people who care about this sort of thing, talking about glassware, beer temperatures and beer tasting in general.

This isn't a beer snob thread or a 'brag about how much you can drink thread' either, just a thread for all things beer.

Do not put down peoples beer choices.

Think about it like computers:

People who call anyone who buys micro beer a 'beer snob' are akin to people who call anyone with a custom PC a nerd.

Just as anyone who calls someone who exclusively drinks macro brew a 'beer noob' is akin to elitist custom computer users putting down someone just for owning a Dell.

Sure, under certain circumstances people are stubborn and either refuse to try micro brews and some people refuse to drink macro brews.

Regardless of which group you fall under lets try to be 'nice' to the other.

:cheers:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just turned 21 a few months back so I'm kind of trying different things. Lately I've been enjoying Spaten Optimator. It's the first dark beer I've ever had and I like it a lot better than the light beers I've tried. Does anyone have any recommendations for some sweet tasting or flavored beers?

I just turned 21 a few months back so I'm kind of trying different things. Lately I've been enjoying Spaten Optimator. It's the first dark beer I've ever had and I like it a lot better than the light beers I've tried. Does anyone have any recommendations for some sweet tasting or flavored beers?

I don't know of any Texas breweries, but you should be able to get some great beers from California breweries. Stone is a good brewer from CA and have a great IPA and Pale ale. The Double Bastard Ale is also very good, but it is very strong. Also if possible get anything from Ale Smith! They brew the best beers anywhere!!

I have just found one of the best beers I have tasted and I want to share it.

It is Called Schell's Firebrick. It is probably the only good beer vrewed in Minnesota and has been family owned for 150 years.

Here is Beer Advocates Review of it and I have to say it the best beer I have ever had.

My review.

An very nice off white head that subsides quickly to a fine foam on the surface.

It smells lightly smokey with a touch of fruit. Smells like a Lager.

Taste is lightly bitter and sweet at the end. Taste is very roasted with lots of hops.

Good lacing on the glass with a nice finish. 5.0% alcohol and very drinkable, so drinkable that you may drink more than you thought you would so buy a case for the week.

Cheap. $15 for a twelve here in Bemidji MN.

I don't know of any Texas breweries, but you should be able to get some great beers from California breweries. Stone is a good brewer from CA and have a great IPA and Pale ale. The Double Bastard Ale is also very good, but it is very strong. Also if possible get anything from Ale Smith! They brew the best beers anywhere!!

Thanks. That Double Bastard looks pretty good! Fortunately there is a distributor here for those. Doesn't look like I can find Ale Smith around here though. I'll definitely give a few of those Stone beers a try though.

I am a huge fan of Newcastle Brown Ale. It is a darker ale (not black like a stout or anything, but darker) but it has a smooth taste with an almost caramely/sweet after taste. I find that I can drink it all year round without thinking twice and it really hits the spot after a crap day at work haha

The reason I mention drinking it all year round, is that I live in AZ and a lot of beers becomes too heavy for the summer months. Oddly enough, I think the Mexican brewers have the summer beers down. There's nothing like a Pacifico or Sol while sitting on a secluded beach in Mexico smoking your cubans and nothing having a care in the world :P