Sign in to follow this  
SpeedCrazy

Photoshopping side business, project, thing.

Hey guys

Like most of us probably, i am short on extra cash for things like my comp. So i came up with this idea.

To begin with, i am an avid photographer and i love editing and enhancing my images, and compositing images. So my idea was, to put out an offer in my community to enhance and fix images, idk how well it will work but what i want some advice on is pricing for different services. Bear in mind that as i also have to hold down all my studies i need to get my times worth out of this.

The services i was considering offereing are as follows:

Image exposure adjustments.

Object removal.

Bordering.(eg. at bottom of post )

Bordering with Text(above only with text added)

Object addition (eg. head from one shot everything else another)

Resizing for printing

General cleanup, including enhancements, lens dust/dirt and unwanted object removal.

General cleanup, including enhancements, lens dust/dirt and unwanted object removal plus border.

General cleanup, including enhancements, lens dust/dirt and unwanted object removal plus border with text.

General cleanup, including enhancements, lens dust/dirt and unwanted object removal plus image resizing.

General cleanup, including enhancements, lens dust/dirt and unwanted object removal plus image resizing and border.

General cleanup, including enhancements, lens dust/dirt and unwanted object removal plus image resizing and border with text.

If i decided to do this i would consider it an investment and buy myself Photoshop CS5 Extended. Only $199 for students.

So my only thoughts so far on prices is something like this.

Longer time commitments, object removal/addition and borders with text more expensive than shorter time commitments. With enhancements being the cheapest(really quick and easy) And the complete cleanups the most expensive. Batch processing would for easy jobs would be raised incrementally every 10 to 15 and every 5 or so for harder/more time expensive jobs.

Any ideas suggestions?

Thanks

eg. of borders.(my image, 3 people removed enhanced and bordered )

Edited by SpeedCrazy

To be honest it'd probably be pretty hard to make back the $200 for Photoshop...most people want their photos fixed but won't pay much for it to be done.

Also - I'm fairly sure you can't use the student edition commercially (it violates the EULA, if you care about that sort of thing).

Ah yes, forgot that. :snap:

Hmm. I was thinking price wise like 25 cents lowest and maybe $2 highest. And then keeping this going over the summer, i'm sure i could get alot of vacation pics to fix. but the software would last a couple of years and i will use it alot for my own work.

yeah your going to have to pay full price if you want to sell your services. cheap alternate to PS is coral draw, i never got into using it but some people swear by it.

I have tried coral draw and gimp but i still prefer my old copy of photoshop 5 to either of them.

I just read through the EULA on Photoshop CS5 Extended and nowwhere could i find a clause that restricted me from making money with the software. Could some one check that for me so i know i have not missed anything.

All the education references i could find were in these paragraphs.

16.3 Educational Software Product. If the Software is Educational Software Product (Software

manufactured and distributed for use by only Educational End Users), you are not entitled to use the

Software unless you qualify in your jurisdiction as an Educational End User. Please visit

http://www.adobe.com/go/edu_purchasing_ae to learn if you qualify. To find an Adobe Authorized

Academic Reseller in your area, please visit http://www.adobe.com/go/store_ae.

and

NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, YOU MAY NOT TRANSFER EDUCATION, PRERELEASE,

OR NOT FOR RESALE COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE OR SOFTWARE OBTAINED

UNDER AN ADOBE VOLUME LICENSE PROGRAM EXCEPT AS MAY BE EXPRESSLY

PERMITTED BY ADOBE WITHIN THE TERMS OF A VOLUME LICENSE PROGRAM.

also

2.6 Restrictions on Secondary Use by Volume Licensees. If the Software was obtained under an Adobe

volume license program (currently known as Adobe Open Options) by any licensee other than an

educational volume licensee, the second copy of the Software made under Section 2.5 must be used solely

for the benefit and business of that volume licensee. For more information about secondary use by volume

licensees, please visit our Web Site at http://www.adobe.com/go/open_options.

So as far as i can see i am free to make money off of it.

I got the EULA from here. I was viewing the EULA labeled Adobe Photoshop CS5 Exteneded

Please verify this for me.

Thanks

eg. of borders.(my image, 3 people removed enhanced and bordered )

What did the original look like?

i'll look for were it states the agreement, but it also very well known even if you can't find it. you also could just email adobe and i'm sure they will tell you.

Download the demo.

See if you can make your money back in 30 or how ever long it is.

If you can't, well do the illegal.

Pay for it once you have the money.

That way you won't feel bad and you have a legal copy.

Also, you're allowed to make money using the program.

Edited by jjjrmy

Good. That image panda was like this.

If it wasn't for image upload restrictions i would post examples for all the processes as shameless self promotion.