AMD build vs. INTEL build *fixed*

TOMisCHEEZE

Basically put together two of the best builds factoring in price vs. performance between AMD and Intel and trying to keep it ~$800 and came up with these:

AMD build

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX - $149.99

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition - $199.99

XFX HD-685X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB - $184.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 PC1333 - $84.99

Intel build

ASRock P55 EXTREME4 LGA 1156 USB 3.0 - $149.99

Intel Core i5-2500K - $228.99

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1GB - $259.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 PC1600 - $99.99

I'm using these benchmark charts vs. price to get my general idea. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html and http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

By doing this I realized Intel really isn't a bad way to go.. it's only $80-100 more for their better efficiency and performance..

But before I go making any real decisions.. If ya have any personal experience opinions or upgrade options (mostly on the mobos) give and take a few bucks, please let me know!

EDIT: Switched from Newegg link to text.

Edited by TOMisCHEEZE

First do not let benchmarks sway you to much on components. Benchmarks are single moment snapshots performed under clinical conditions that never come true in real life. Also realize the motherbaord you listed will not run the CPU you listed for Intel. Now that being said I would have gone with a 970 for the Phenom Processor as it is a faster processor and like the 2500 is limited to 4 cores/threads. While the 1090T will not outrun the 2500 in most basic tests it demolishes it in heavy multithreading. However the simple truth is most do not need more than 4 cores today.

Also since you are using single video cards unless you are planning to go Crossfire I would just get an 870 base board. There is no performance lose in doing so.

[intel has released with the Sandybridge a very provacative chip, especially the i5 lineup for the price. However right now it is a none option since new boards are not yet out and the old boards are off the shelf. Plus Bulldozer is just around the corner and leaked benchmakrs make it worht a look. No way to confirm them so i am not saying they are true but still worth the look.

[intel has released with the Sandybridge a very provacative chip, especially the i5 lineup for the price. However right now it is a none option since new boards are not yet out and the old boards are off the shelf. Plus Bulldozer is just around the corner and leaked benchmakrs make it worht a look. No way to confirm them so i am not saying they are true but still worth the look.

+1 for Bulldozer!!! even though i mentioned it earlier... CeBit starts tomorrow :)

@eisbar - thanks man that definitely clears that up

@goxon - whoops! thanks for the look out man

@computerED - so you'd prefer that AMD build more? yea i would like to have the sli/crossfire option if i ever need it eventually, and definitely want to be on board with the USB 3.0 wave

Thanks for the replies guys, anyone else has anything to add let me know!

Gonna hold out and see what this so called "Bulldozer" is all aboot :D

Hope it ain't too pricey!