Ebay & PayPal Strike Again

Rokkaholik

This time my brother got the blunt force of their stupidity. He sold a Droid Incredible phone on ebay. A 0-feedbacker snuck in a bid at the last minute and won it for $200. On the plus side, he paid immediately with PayPal. Matt went to his PayPal and looked at the address and it showed CONFIRMED, so he boxed it up and sent it off the next morning. Later that day he gets an e-mail from the buyer wanting his phone and since he paid immediately, he expected it to be shipped immediately as well. Matt resent him the tracking number and then the guy messages him back that he sent it to the wrong address.

Keep in Mind that all these e-mails were sent through ebays messaging system, so they have record of them.

Matt looked at the address again in PayPal and told the buyer that it was the confirmed address and the guy then said that he had moved and told Matt that 5 days ago. How could he have done that before the auction even ended? Anyway, on day 3, the idiot files a claim against Matt, so Matt called PayPal and informed them what was going on. He made a timeline of the auction end, e-mail dates and times and what was said and the lady was clueless, but forwarded him to the aby people. They looked up everything and told him that he was covered since he sent it to the confirmed address. Back to PayPal, and they told him the same thing.

Matt checked the tracking and the phone was listed as undeliverable, so it was supposed to come back to him. The buyer then sends him another nasty e-mail about the forwarding address that he was supposed to have, etc... The buyer then messages him back again saying that he got things straightened out with the post office and the phone was rerouted to a forwarding address, but wasn't deliverable so it was coming back to Matt. The buyer dropped the case against him on ebay

Keep in mind that all these messages are still going through ebays messaging system, so they're right on file.

Matt got the phone back and that same day, the buyer told him that he'd get a positive feedback for all the troubles and wanted the phone sent to his new address. Matt sent it with insurance and SIGNATURE confirmation AGAIN and let the buyer know and gave him the NEW tracking number. The buyer filed ANOTHER claim against him the next day saying the phone wasn't as described. Matt looked up the tracking and it hadn't even been delivered yet.

He called PayPal back and gave them the NEW rundown of events and got yet another clueless moron who kept referring back to the closed case (the first one). He spent over an hour explaining to both PayPal and ebay what the buyer was doing and he had the PROOF that the buyer couldn't file an Item Not As Described claim since the phone was still in transit.

Today, he found that PayPal had decided in favor of the BUYER and gave him his money back (without even checking on where the phone was in tracking). He called them again and let them have it about their stupid claims. A few hours later, the phone was signed for in tracking. So the scammer buyer got the phone and his money back.

Furious would be an understatement right about now.

They had all the e-mail messages right in front of them as well as the tracking PROOF and they still sided with the buyer?

He's calling his Lawyer friend (a guy he trains at the gym) and they're going to call PayPal's legal dept to get some answers and tomorrow he's going to call the police department of the town the guy lives in and file a fraud claim.

1. This is why I don't like to sell to new ebayers.

2. This is why I empty my PayPal account BEFORE I ship an item.

Edited by Rokkaholik

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as the imbalance toward the buyer on eBay is horribly unfair, your friend made a huge mistake in shipping it out again to an unconfirmed address.

The first time it happened, he was covered because he sent it to the confirmed address and didn't listen to any of the buyer's BS. Then he sent it out again, when he should've issued a refund and let eBay know about the feedback. I have sympathy for the initial attempt at shipping, but not for the second. The second attempt was outside of the original transaction and was entirely his choice.

Anybody with zero feedback is prevented from bidding on anything I offer, I think that's the safest way and I never ship to unconfirmed addresses. I have 500+ transactions and to be honest no real problems so far.

As far as I know, you can't keep a 0-feedbacker from bidding on your items. The lowest settin is a -1 from what I know, but since you can't leave negatives anymore, who knows... If I get a 0-feedbacker, I cancel their bid. If they sneak it in or use Buy it Now, I'll refund their money and say it was sold locally and request a cancel transaction. Then relist it in 2 weeks

only had one scammer that failed at it. filed a claim saying never received and than i gave paypal the tracking number and the signature confirmation (both stating it was received) claim was dropped 2 days later. what a moron and i'm sorry paypal couldn't understand the signature confirmation for your case.

Speaking of ebay... I just got screwed as a buyer. Someone advertised a 4850x2 as a 2GB card... shows up today -- not really it's a 1GB card. :( Dealing with him via ebay but right now he's claiming he didn't mis-advertise and blah blah blah -- and how he's not going to give me my money etc.

Looks like it might be a good thing if Paypal does indeed side with the buyer... in my case anyway.