I'm a n00b...again.

imm0rt41

I joined OCC waaaaay back in '04 when I had my AthlonXP 2500+/ASUS A7N8X-e deluxe based rig (still going strong too @2.3GHz on year 6 now) and back then this site helped me so much with learning hardware and overclocking.

Fast forward a few years and I have graduated from the Management Information Systems program at the University of Arizona and am working in the industry. I had been missing PC gaming pretty bad the past few months, and I got lucky when I found a guy selling an AthlonII x4 based rig on craigslist for dirt cheap. I couldn't resist, and that is when I went on the long journey of trying to recover my OCC password without access to the original account I used to create the account. Thanks, Bosco for hooking me up!

My updated system specs are:

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 620 @stock for now

COOLING: Xigmatek Loki SD963

MOBO: MSI 790XT-G45

RAM: 5GB mixed brands (prev owner just filled the slots, I guess. Looking to upgrade)

GPU: eVGA GeForce GT240 1GB (soon to be an MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Twin Frozr)

SOUND: SoundBlaster Audigy II (so oooooold lol)

PSU: Corsair TX750W

CASE: Raidmax Smilodon

I aim to upgrade slowly as I don't make a ton of money after bills, but for $300 it was hard to pass up. So far, the limiting factors in overclocking are the memory. If I can get that upgraded and the vid car upgraded I will be in a good spot for when the next round of CPUs hits.

Anywho, enough rambling. It's good to be back at OCC :)

Edited by imm0rt41

Welcome back - and don't fret that waaaayyyy old Audigy 2 sound card. Still one of the best cards Creative ever sold IMHO.

First things first is to get that miss matched set of RAM out of there and replace with some good stuff.

Then the new video card and you should be golden for a while.

Cheers.

I joined OCC waaaaay back in '04 when I had my AthlonXP 2500+/ASUS A7N8X-e deluxe based rig (still going strong too @2.3GHz on year 6 now) and back then this site helped me so much with learning hardware and overclocking.

Fast forward a few years and I have graduated from the Management Information Systems program at the University of Arizona and am working in the industry. I had been missing PC gaming pretty bad the past few months, and I got lucky when I found a guy selling an AthlonII x4 based rig on craigslist for dirt cheap. I couldn't resist, and that is when I went on the long journey of trying to recover my OCC password without access to the original account I used to create the account. Thanks, Bosco for hooking me up!

My updated system specs are:

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 620 @stock for now

COOLING: Xigmatek Loki SD963

MOBO: MSI 790XT-G45

RAM: 5GB mixed brands (prev owner just filled the slots, I guess. Looking to upgrade)

GPU: eVGA GeForce GT240 1GB (soon to be an MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Twin Frozr)

SOUND: SoundBlaster Audigy II (so oooooold lol)

PSU: Corsair TX750W

CASE: Raidmax Smilodon

I aim to upgrade slowly as I don't make a ton of money after bills, but for $300 it was hard to pass up. So far, the limiting factors in overclocking are the memory. If I can get that upgraded and the vid car upgraded I will be in a good spot for when the next round of CPUs hits.

Anywho, enough rambling. It's good to be back at OCC :)

Probably not as cheap as dirt by the pound...

In europe you'll be lucky to find a pc like that for $700 or more...I never heard of a pc with 5gb ram before?

I'm guessing Mr.Ivy is going to mention flashing the 6950 to a 6970lol2.gif

This Dan doesn't have to say that since you did :teehee:

So what all of the rig was part of the $300, I want to see if you did better than I did on my cousin's x4 620 system ;)

Welcome back, love to see older members here!!

Welcome back - and don't fret that waaaayyyy old Audigy 2 sound card. Still one of the best cards Creative ever sold IMHO.

First things first is to get that miss matched set of RAM out of there and replace with some good stuff.

Then the new video card and you should be golden for a while.

Cheers.

I love this Audigy 2, I transferred it over from my AthlonXP rig and it still works perfectly after all these years!

I was planning on getting a 4GB kit of DDR3 that will fit under my heatsink and the video card at the same time because my tax return will show up right around my birthday so I'm gonna clean house.

I'll probably use the old stuff to rebuild a microatx machine out of a shuttle I have lying around lol

I'm guessing Mr.Ivy is going to mention flashing the 6950 to a 6970lol2.gif

I was hoping so, since that is the reason I want this version of the card. Good cooling and the ability to flash to 6970 = win!

This Dan doesn't have to say that since you did :teehee:

So what all of the rig was part of the $300, I want to see if you did better than I did on my cousin's x4 620 system ;)

Welcome back, love to see older members here!!

Everything posted except the cpu cooler and the audigy 2 was included in the $300. More importantly, it let me play some games again and with my planned upgrades all games again :P

Oh and the 5GB is because they put 1x2GB and 3x1GB in there for whatever reason.I hope to remedy this cluster ASAP because seriously, who does that?

Edited by imm0rt41

Oh crap, I looked at the specs for the 7890X-G45 not the XT lol.

Would it even be worth it to use DDR2 or should I just save for a new mobo to use DDR3?

DDR2 isn't much more expensive (and the performance difference is negligible) - and considering you have a bunch of it already - I'd keep what you have and get a Black Edition CPU for it. BluePanda has that exact motherboard and it works great! :cheers:

up to you, I think someone was selling 4GB of 1066mhz sticks on here. (he doesn't want to part out, but everyone wants him too and the memory is unclaimed ;) )

Throw up $50 for it and if he doesn't accept than maybe get a new board.

Nice, my next upgrade after GPU and RAM is the CPU. I was thinking I could go with a 1090T because they will be dirt cheap by the time I am looking to get it, or if the new offerings from Intel and AMD are out by then I would look into that for sure.

I definitely want to upgrade the RAM though. I don't think the RAM that is in there is all that great to be honest. I'll need to look in to it further lol

I definitely want to upgrade the RAM though. I don't think the RAM that is in there is all that great to be honest. I'll need to look in to it further lol

If you get a Black Edition CPU I wouldn't worry about the RAM at all - you won't need to overclock it at all to get a good clock out of the CPU. As long as it's stable I say leave it be (aside from pulling the extra 1 GB stick - you can run mixed dual channel as long as both banks have 2 GB of RAM total). :cheers:

Edited by Waco