Dan's Computer News Updates and Stuff...

Noticed these boards with AM3+ support on Gigabyte's site today (old news?):

Gigabyte AM3+ Motherboards

Get Ready for New Generation of 32nm AMD AM3+ CPU

GIGABYTE's AMD motherboards are ready to support new generation of 32nm AMD AM3+ multi-core processors, delivering the very best platform for multitasking, multimedia and high performance gaming.

Mainly noticed because I saw that you could buy the GA-870-USB3 (Rev 3.1) at Scan here in the UK

Noticed these boards with AM3+ support on Gigabyte's site today (old news?):

Gigabyte AM3+ Motherboards

Mainly noticed because I saw that you could buy the GA-870-USB3 (Rev 3.1) at Scan here in the UK

amd is still the big boss so if its not compatible with am3+ then... I hope this is though :)

THE black socket suggests it is! :) :)

the major difference between this and the new 900 series is probably the native 6gbs and usb 3.0 native support along other goodies!

Edited by Dan The Gamer

SLI ON UPCOMING 990 CHIPSETS

"For so long, AMD enthusiasts have to resort to unofficial patches to make SLI work on their boards but not anymore. NVIDIA has finally agreed to make their SLI technology available for AMD 9-series chipsets boards supporting the Zambezi processors based on Bulldozer architecture. Only 990FX and 990X will be supported though so no luck for 7 and 8 series boards owners. AMD 990FX is able to support 2 PCIe x16 slots or 4 PCIe x8 slots so it can run 2-way (2 x16) or 3-way (3 x8) while AMD 990X is able to support only 2-way SLI (2 x8). There is no indication whether AMD 970 can support SLI at this point of time. The AMD 9-series launch is expected to be sometime in May so look out for it."

Source: http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-to-unlock-sli-for-amd-990-series-chipsets/11778.html

Edited by AddictedGamer93

"For so long, AMD enthusiasts have to resort to unofficial patches to make SLI work on their boards but not anymore. NVIDIA has finally agreed to make their SLI technology available for AMD 9-series chipsets boards supporting the Zambezi processors based on Bulldozer architecture. Only 990FX and 990X will be supported though so no luck for 7 and 8 series boards owners. AMD 990FX is able to support 2 PCIe x16 slots or 4 PCIe x8 slots so it can run 2-way (2 x16) or 3-way (3 x8) while AMD 990X is able to support only 2-way SLI (2 x8). There is no indication whether AMD 970 can support SLI at this point of time. The AMD 9-series launch is expected to be sometime in May so look out for it."

Source: http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-to-unlock-sli-for-amd-990-series-chipsets/11778.html

Good news!!!

Source: http://vr-zone.com/a...sets/11778.html

Honestly man, this is a gonna be a big reason for a lot of Intel heads to switch over to AMD, I'll just wait till benchmarks come out, then we'll really see!! biggrin.gif

New set of interactive videos for news about Bulldozer and more information. Just keep going back to the link and it will be updated as more information is released.

Honestly man, this is a gonna be a big reason for a lot of Intel heads to switch over to AMD, I'll just wait till benchmarks come out, then we'll really see!! biggrin.gif

I wouldnt hold your breath, but agreed wait till we see those benchies. i dont foresee anything within the next 5 years that AMD is going to do to win over Intel Enthusiasts. AMD is more geared for best bang for your buck. where as Intel is just sheer performance. Intel fan boys pay the big bucks to get the big performance numbers, you get what you pay for. Intel is holding off on thier 2nd gen i7 EE's to shroud the release of Bulldozer IMO. some may argue that the "k" ( unlocked multiplier) addition are the EE's but if you think about it Intel's EE's have sported Higher clock speeds, UM, and larger caches so going by that it may or maynot be but im leaning to the 2nd one. also the "k" addtion is just a play on AMD's "Black Edition" which is the SAME CPU just a unlocked Multiplier.

Who said theres no such thing as a entry level i7? lol its called the 620lm. The slowest and cheapest model is "entry level" in my dictionary.

Im not trying to downplay the release of Bulldozer. Im neither a fan boy of Intel or AMD im a fanboy of what works for me and my budget. If my budget this summer allows for my next build to be an i7 2600k which it should then by all means im building it, on the other hand if the Bulldozer release is cheaper and sports higher performance numbers then the 2600k well then you do the math. Im just as anxious as anyone over the Bulldozer.

Sorry Dan for this long post :(

Edited by DnaAngel

I know this article is old news but it brings up a raised eyebrow

"AMD Aims to Fight Core i7 “Sandy Bridge” with Bulldozer" - Xbit labs

Okay so as i re-read this article for the hundredth time a few key words stick out "price hike" and competing with i7 sandy bridge".

as we all know AMD has been the leader not in performance but in price and like to give us gamers a most wallet friendly approach to high end computing. but this "Bulldozer" is supposed to be ground breaking, earth shattering Technology witihn AMD. that nice to hear and all but why aim twoads the i7 2600k? that to me is setting yourself up for failure. first reason is the 2600k isnt the cream of the crop numbers wise the 2600k only ranks in at 11 on the CPU Benchmark list with a score of: 9,217 which is impressive none the less. But a somewhat long haul from the 1st gen i7 Extreme Editions which IMO would be more impressive if AMD was aiming the bulldozer at those and not just the 2600k. and with the 2nd gen i7 EE's not released yet, whatever ace in the hole bulldozer has over sandy is going to be disregarded with the release of the 2nd gen EE's. Which IMO is probably what Intel is waiting for. As one that is anxiously awaiting Bulldozer that article in particular is a letdown. but Bulldozer isnt released yet nor is its benchies so untill then..

Edited by DnaAngel

• ir_cow unpinned this topic