AddictedGamer93

Performance differences

My current setup and a 6950. How much of a difference will there be?

Well, you figure two 5770s are comparable to a 5870, which the 6950 is better than that so I say you'll notice some of a difference but not a huge one. More eye candy can be enabled for sure and you'll have higher framerates, but nothing super dramatic.

Wouldnt it be like going from a 5870 to a 480 if i unlock it?

Not really/kinda sorta.

the 6970 > 480/570... Unlocked 6950's fall into this area, but because they have very limited overclocking abilities a unlocked 6950 will never beat a 480 or 570 when they too are overclocked.

6950 > 470/560...

With the 5870/2x 5770 being approx equal to a single 470...

Comparatively speaking its a upgrade thats for sure! I upgraded from a 5770 to a GTX570 and its been a noticeably massive upgrade. I went from playing games on high/ultra settings with 0xAA & 0xAF @ 60-100FPS+, To playing games on high/ultra settings with 8xAA & 16xAF @ 100-150FPS+. With both cards being overclocked of course, and all at 1920x1080, with an i7 at 4.0Ghz, and 6GB DDR3-1914mhz RAM.

Games im getting these numbers from... Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Starcraft 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Starcraft has the most noticeable performance hit with high AA. Crysis warhead was very enjoyable at 16xAA & 16XAF with Enthusiast settings with 60+ FPS at any given time. Just dont forget my FPS numbers are coming from a 4.0Ghz i7, so your FPS will likely be alot less. But still more that acceptable!

• Like 1

Not really...

the 6970 > 480/570... Unlocked 6950's fall into this area, but because they have very limited overclocking abilities a unlocked 6950 will never beat a 480 or 570 when they too are overclocked.

6950 > 470/560...

With the 5870/2x 5770 being approx equal to a single 470...

Comparatively speaking its a upgrade thats for sure! I upgraded from a 5770 to a GTX570 and its been a noticeably massive upgrade. I went from playing games on high/ultra settings with 0xAA & 0xAF @ 60-100FPS+, To playing games on high/ultra settings with 8xAA & 16xAF @ 100-150FPS+. With both cards being overclocked of course, and all at 1920x1080, with an i7 at 4.0Ghz, and 6GB DDR3-1914mhz RAM.

Games im getting these numbers from... Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Starcraft 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Starcraft has the most noticeable performance hit with high AA. Crysis warhead was very enjoyable at 16xAA & 16XAF with Enthusiast settings with 60+ FPS at any given time. Just dont forget my FPS numbers are coming from a 4.0Ghz i7, so your FPS will likely be alot less. But still more that acceptable!

+1 Nice post, very informative. But I wouldnt think my fps would be much lower. If there's no bottleneck and all the load is on the card, idk how there'd be much of a difference.

+1 Nice post, very informative. But I wouldnt think my fps would be much lower. If there's no bottleneck and all the load is on the card, idk how there'd be much of a difference.

Because Crysis LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEESS CPU speed, lol. So does Starcraft 2, and BF:BC2... Other games are pretty meh on CPU speed. So you'd be great there.

Because Crysis LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEESS CPU speed, lol. So does Starcraft 2, and BF:BC2... Other games are pretty meh on CPU speed. So you'd be great there.

Hmmm, never knew that about crysis, thx for the info.

100+fps in crysis with a single 570? I call bull crap

Never seen that game run anywhere near that high on any rig...

:withstupid:

Our GTX580's cant even pull that much , cpu speed wont bring your Original Crysis FPS from around 45FPS to 100FPS

Maybe he meant in general , not specific to crysis .

100+fps in crysis with a single 570? I call bull crap

Never seen that game run anywhere near that high on any rig...

:withstupid:

Our GTX580's cant even pull that much , cpu speed wont bring your Original Crysis FPS from around 45FPS to 100FPS

Maybe he meant in general , not specific to crysis .

Crysis Warhead not original, Warhead is MUCH happier, Original Crysis was poorly optimized. And i didnt say i was getting 100-150 in Crysis, i said a comfortable 60+. And i looked back at my settings, it was 8xAA not 16, Heh. I do get 100+ in other games like Starcraft2, BF:BC2, CoD:BO. Giving a range of FPS of 35-150 just because one game brings it down is a poor example of an average though.

And high CPU speed's do drastically increase FPS in original Crysis, just not from 45->100, lol. I had some sections of the game that LAAAAAAAAGGGGGEEEED so bad with my i7 at 3.6Ghz, reboot set it at 4.2ghz and same section of the game was smooth as butter.

Crysis Warhead not original, Warhead is MUCH happier, Original Crysis was poorly optimized. And i didnt say i was getting 100-150 in Crysis, i said a comfortable 60+. And i looked back at my settings, it was 8xAA not 16, Heh. I do get 100+ in other games like Starcraft2, BF:BC2, CoD:BO. Giving a range of FPS of 35-150 just because one game brings it down is a poor example of an average though.

And high CPU speed's do drastically increase FPS in original Crysis, just not from 45->100, lol. I had some sections of the game that LAAAAAAAAGGGGGEEEED so bad with my i7 at 3.6Ghz, reboot set it at 4.2ghz and same section of the game was smooth as butter.

I saw this ...

To playing games on high/ultra settings with 8xAA & 16xAF @ 100-150FPS+. With both cards being overclocked of course, and all at 1920x1080, with an i7 at 4.0Ghz, and 6GB DDR3-1914mhz RAM.