browning85

Installing components in correct order

It has been a while since I last built my own PC and a lot of things have changed in the world. I would like some expert advice on the proper way to install 3 of the main components of a gaming PC into my new case.

My new motherboard, CPU (plus CPU cooler) and Memory arrive on Monday. Should I fit the processor and RAM before screwing the motherboard to the inside-wall of the case or should I fit the board first and then the rest?

I am also getting a Cooler Master V6GT CPU cooler (which you would prob know weighs close to 1kg). I know I have to fit the backing plate etc so ill be doing that first, but not sure of the best order to fit the rest. Your advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone who would like to give me a step-by-step would be helping me out a lot. Thanks guys.

It'll be much easier to install processor outside so there are no restrictions and ram after so you can screw it in properly...I just installed new processor today so I know

good luck ;)

When I rebuild systems at work I start with attaching the mobo to the tray and building around it. Based on your CPU cooler I would say you attach the backplate first so you have something to attach the cpu cooler to, then work from there. Does the back plate attach the the mobo itself, or does it attach through the mobo to the cpu cooler? If it goes through the mobo, then you will have to mount your cpu, heatsink and fan before attaching the mobo to the case. Think of it like this, if you have to do it that way, the heatsink acts like a big handle to lower the mobo into the case haha

because of the cooler you should probably go: CPU>RAM>Cooler>Case.

To screw down the motherboard just use a long magnetic screwdriver

Edited by maenuwa

Think of it like this, if you have to do it that way, the heatsink acts like a big handle to lower the mobo into the case haha

:pfp: I am going to hope you are joking. That could warp the mobo or possibly break the hs mount. Or even just break the seal of the thermal compound. All bad. So @OP do nt listen to that piece of advice, it could damage your hardware.

It'll be much easier to install processor outside so there are no restrictions and ram after so you can screw it in properly...I just installed new processor today so I know

good luck ;)

This is always a good call. I have big hands. I usually tend to pull the Mobo out and slap in the CPU first.

When I rebuild systems at work I start with attaching the mobo to the tray and building around it. Based on your CPU cooler I would say you attach the backplate first so you have something to attach the cpu cooler to, then work from there. Does the back plate attach the the mobo itself, or does it attach through the mobo to the cpu cooler? If it goes through the mobo, then you will have to mount your cpu, heatsink and fan before attaching the mobo to the case. Think of it like this, if you have to do it that way, the heatsink acts like a big handle to lower the mobo into the case haha

This is great as well. Put the CPU in, and put the Backplating/Mounting Bracket for your CPU Cooler and then screw the motherboard on to the case.

If your lucky your Case will have a Slide Out Tray.

My latest PC build I just pulled the tray right out and built everything and when I was done I slid the tray in to the case and plugged everything in.

because of the cooler you should probably go: CPU>RAM>Cooler>Case.

To screw down the motherboard just use a long magnetic screwdriver

I would personally avoid magnetic screwdrivers.

Some people use them though.

Magnetic screwdrivers are fine to use for computers, as the strength of magnetism is miniscule, and won't affect any components.

They're actually fairly handy if a screw falls down onto the motherboard in a little nook, and you can't otherwise pick it out... just touch the screwdriver tip on it and fish it out that way :)

Sometimes, I'll screw/unscrew when the system is running (highly advise against this, lol) and a magnetic screwdriver helps to prevent screws dropping onto live PCBs... just don't try this and then cry when a screw actually falls off and short-circuits something :lol:

Sometimes, I'll screw/unscrew when the system is running (highly advise against this, lol) and a magnetic screwdriver helps to prevent screws dropping onto live PCBs... just don't try this and then cry when a screw actually falls off and short-circuits something :lol:

lmao!!

:pfp: I am going to hope you are joking. That could warp the mobo or possibly break the hs mount. Or even just break the seal of the thermal compound. All bad. So @OP do nt listen to that piece of advice, it could damage your hardware.

For what it's worth, I lowered my mobo into the case in a similar fashion, but I took extra care to support the mobo from the bottom and keep it straight and I have had zero issues with anything after being on 24/7 and folding for a month. But I agree with you, it is not the preferred method and I wouldn't have done it that way again as it was quite scary. It had been a while since i had built a non-OEM computer and I didn't take space into account. I really should have just removed everything from the case haha