Sign in to follow this  
Dariuas

Overclocking FAQ

Hey Guys, I am sure most of you have seen the old overclocking FAQ (http://www.overclock.../overclock_faq/). It is a bit dated, and we would like to update it,

so in order to update it with all the great information floating around, I'd like to have you guys post some edits to it or updates to it here, and we'll get them put up.

Anything that you think may be relevant to add or change to the document would be greatly appreciated. If you want to write a complete new FAQ

fantastic, but if you just want to edit a section or change verbage or complete paragraphs, update methods, or best practices. Thanks!

Holy crap, that is really, and I mean, really old! :P

Some pictures would help, too.

I would make the risks of overclocking in red font so it stands out and people know what they're getting into.

We should also divide it up in to 2 different sections.

CPU Overclocking

GPU Overclocking

Within each, divide them up into different types.

CPU Overclocking

Intel

- LGA 775

- LGA 1156

- LGA 1366

- LGA 1155

AMD

- AM2+

- AM3

- AM3+

GPU Overclocking

Nvidia

AMD

Within each of those, you can get into more specific details about memory overclocking, cooling, etc.

Also, in regards to just a FAQ, I find it more beneficial to go through a step-by-step list of what's being done to overclock (particularly in the BIOS), and explain what that does in each step. Most people that get into overclocking won't understand that easily just reading a FAQ, but if they know the type of CPU they have and find steps that go through and explain the settings that changed and why, it makes it easier to relate.

Also, in regards to just a FAQ, I find it more beneficial to go through a step-by-step list of what's being done to overclock (particularly in the BIOS), and explain what that does in each step. Most people that get into overclocking won't understand that easily just reading a FAQ, but if they know the type of CPU they have and find steps that go through and explain the settings that changed and why, it makes it easier to relate.

I wont be able to to help much but i can proof read to make sure it makes sense from a noobs point of view.

Bit late there dar. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=180151

;)

Anywho, I might be interested in divulging some of my precious information. XD

I'll have to get around to it.

As a side note, you might want to ask BP9801 or Nemo to perhaps post an announcement about this. I found this thread by chance, not everybody looks in this subforum.

I would make the risks of overclocking in red font so it stands out and people know what they're getting into.

Umm.. What Risks? Overclocking is full of WIN!

(not being serious biggrin.gif)

Just crank up the multiplier to 40 and set the volts on auto...its perfectly safe :evilgrin:

On the bright side, :lol:, you get to watch your computer start to burn :popcorn:

It would be really cool if it was updated though, could help a lot of people.

Edited by Krieg1337

I wont be able to to help much but i can proof read to make sure it makes sense from a noobs point of view.

+1