Sign in to follow this  
Speedway

IBM Watson Computer vs The Best 2 Jeopardy Players ever

So as a computer enthusiast, and avid Jeopardy fan I have been watching this week's competition that pairs the 2 best Jeopardy players ever against the IBM Watson Computer. So far the Watson has dominated, but tonight Ken Jennings is so far hanging in there! Anyone else been watching this week?

I haven't been watching the shows unfortunately, but Ive been reading about each show the day after they aired. IBM has done a surprisingly good job with Watson.

Tonight was the last night, and Ken Jennings was looking solid, but the Watson prevailed! Winning every night!

I've only watched the one episode yesterday, although I wish I could have seen them all so far. I'm quite astounded by the abilities that Watson has, but I'm so sick of all the things I keep hearing from the media about how it's a stupid computer, because it should be 100% accurate all the time. These people don't seem to understand, that Watson isn't just programed with the questions and answers and just reads them. He has tables of data which he has to analyze based on the answer given, and has to be construct a question that is accurate. This is an amazing step forward in technology. Hell, I wish I could even find a program that can pronunciate as well as Watson does.

What I do find odd about Watson though is the dollar amount selections that he makes for daily doubles and the final jeopardy. They seem so random.

I absolutely love Ken's response for tonight's Final Jeopardy question. "(I for one welcome our new computer overlords)" :lol:

Btw, this is a good article about Watson, though it's only about the first night but it does cover how he comes up with the responses.

I watched all three days as they aired.

I don't really care that Watson won, I think just seeing the percentage of his certainty on each question was the coolest part. He was hard to beat because when he was very confident, he rang in almost immediately upon completion of the question, meaning Ken and Brad had to be extremely quick on the trigger. So for me, it was simply more impressive the number of questions he knew.

However, there were a couple flaws that should have been addressed:

1. It didn't seem Watson "remembered" the category for the questions. For example, the first game's final question topic was "U.S. Cities" and he answered "Toronto." Even more glaring is when there is one of those "unique" Jeopardy categories, like when all answers will have a similarity (eg. "mouse" in all answers).

2. Watson had no way of knowing answers that were already given. For those that don't know, Watson cannot hear speech, he receives a text file containing the question. So, on day one, when Ken gave an incorrect answer and Watson buzzed in, he gave the same exact wrong answer. If he knew that the answer was already given, based on the top 3 shown on the screen, Watson's 2nd choice wound up being the correct answer.

And lastly, as malm said, the bidding was just odd. It would have been nice if they explained how he calculated what to bid. If I had to take a guess, it simply used a random number generator from 1 - Current Total.

Overall, it was very cool. They said how this could provide great strides in the healthcare industry. On a more selfish, non-helping-society frame of mind, I'd love to see this make it into gaming for NPCs/AI, but that would be WAY off in the future seeing how much computing power is required.

I'd love to see this make it into gaming for NPCs/AI, but that would be WAY off in the future seeing how much computing power is required.

Are you talking way off in normal terms, or in computing terms?

Either way, I would imagine having the power to do something like it sooner than you may think. Whether someone actually decides to go ahead and implement it is probably a different story.

I agree that would be awesome.

Are you talking way off in normal terms, or in computing terms?

Either way, I would imagine having the power to do something like it sooner than you may think. Whether someone actually decides to go ahead and implement it is probably a different story.

I agree that would be awesome.

Well when I say it's a ways off, I guess I should have been a little more specific. I think the soonest implementation that could occur in gaming would be in an MMO since you have a server infrastructure in place. For a single player game, like let's say creating "fully aware" NPCs in an RPG, like Elder Scrolls, I don't see that happening any time soon because of the sheer amount of data that would have to be housed. Now that's in its fullest extent - for a particular game, I would assume there could be some specificity to data stored. So, Watson's process for understanding spoken/written language would be fully implemented, but the data it has to query would only be related to the game. In other words, in Elder Scrolls, it would only have data pertaining to the Elder Scrolls universe and not about current events. Currently, querying all the data take massive computing power (I forget the exact number of CPUs), but it would obviously take less computing power when there's less data, so who knows, maybe in the limited scope game data would be, it is possible with today's technology, or at least something soon.

Watson has ten server racks which contain 100 IBM Power 750 server units. Roughly 2,800 regular computers. It also has 15TB of RAM.

I do agree that it would sweet to see some of the AI in games, but I do feel it will be quite some time before we actually see it used well.

They should have put Andy Richter on.

He would dominate that ..

Nah, it should go against Sean Connery ;)