Sign in to follow this  
aussieOC92

i7 2600K overclocking

ok so i overclocked my i7 2600K to 4.6GHZ @ 1.330Vcore. i also disabled turbo boost. now i did an IBT test with HT enabled and the max speed im getting with 8 threads is 50GFLOPS. but wen i disable HT and do an IBT with 4 threads i get a max speed of 66GFLOPS. i also did another IBT with HT enabled and did a 4 thread test and got 58. so what i wana know is should i leave HT disabled or enable it? im kinda regretting buying this 2600K. when i could have saved 120 dollars and gotten a 2500K. anyways you're replies would be greatly appreciated.

many regards mitch.

When overclocked, hyperthreading doesn't always help.

It's kind of a Mexican standoff. You can either have 8 threads at a decent overclock, or stick to 4 threads at a higher overclock. The only way to really figure out which one has better performance for what you're doing is tweaking settings and testing every single suite you can get your hands on.

Mind you, I don't own a CPU with hyperthreading (not since I sold my old P4) but this is my advice, based on what I've heard.

Edited by Locutus

For the majority of gaming titles - HT off and go for the highest cpu clock you can achieve with stability

Productivity Applications that can utilize virtual cores - HT on and settle for a milder overclock

Locutus used a great analogy when he said "mexican standoff"

That's really what you have because one way or another you have to decide which one your willing to sacrifice

On my i7 I run a lower overclock and keep HT enabled. Primarily because most of the time CPU Meter indicates that the virtual cores are being utilized to some extent regardless of what the computer is doing at the time.

I guess another consideration is heat and voltage. With HT disabled you should see a fairly significant drop in cpu temps, and you should be able to lower your cpu voltage by approximately .075v to achieve the same overclocking results. Or alternatively, you might be able to squeeze another 200Mhz overclock at the same voltage with HT disabled.

And of course a lot of this decision make come down to the cooling capabilities of your cpu heatsink/fan.

Regards,

the max cpu temp i get with HT disabled is 66 on the hottest core wen stressing it. but thats at an ambient of 25 degrees. i live in australia and it gets pretty hot lol. when i have HT enabled the temps go to 73 degrees. i honestly hate heat so ill stick with HT disabled. i honestly havent seen a difference with HT enabled or disabled. i use Xilisoft when converting and it doesnt use my 8 threads to the maximum. i think HT will be good in the next year or so when more and more applications support it. im actually thinkin about selling this rig and going with the 2500k and a better mobo. becasue basically im not using the 2600K to its full potential as im disabling HT. anyways thankyou all for your replies. OH also i'd like to add, i cannot overclock past 4.6ghz unless i put 1.39v or more. its pretty annoying that i can get 4.6 at 1.330v but to get another 100mhz i need minimum 1.39v and that isnt even stable lol. just to post.

many thanks mitch. i might get a CM HAF 922, i used to have one and it improves the temps alot with those huge 200mm fans.

Yup, read my sig on "Post your i7 2600k overclocks". Findings are the same everywhere you look. 4.6GHz is the sweet spot for 24/7 with good cooling and keeping temps under 73C. Anything higher than that requires a lot more voltage (but no one would run at those speeds, voltages, and temps 24/7 unless they wanted their CPU to last short term).

I think HT will be good in the next year or so when more and more applications support it.

HT has been around for a long time, it doesn't really need any specific application support, it is just a way of presenting one physical processing core as two logical cores.

Applications that benefit from more than one thread (be that a hardware processing core, or a virtual one in the case of HT) should benefit a bit from HT, but it will depend on the specific task being carried out.

In some cases (as mentioned) it might be beneficial to turn it off.

Edited by jammin

many thanks mitch. i might get a CM HAF 922, i used to have one and it improves the temps alot with those huge 200mm fans.

Having a great case doesn't always make a difference. If your current case is decent, you'd be better off spending your money on a better cooler.

im pretty happy with my NH-D14. and my case is an antec 200. i have fans in every hole except the side. as my cooler is in the way. but i can get an haf 922 for 50 dollars off my friend.

im pretty happy with my NH-D14. and my case is an antec 200. i have fans in every hole except the side. as my cooler is in the way. but i can get an haf 922 for 50 dollars off my friend.

I would personally leave HT on. You payed for the 2600k which gives you this function, so it's really pointless to turn it off. At 4.6Ghz your games will run fine and with 4 cores and 8 threads at 4.6Ghz your laughing all the way to the bank!

but why am i getting low GFLOPS with 8/4 threads with HT enabled. and also my cpu gets hotter with HT on. ino i shouldnt have purchased the 2600k but i just wanted the best.