Post Count Gone

LobbDogg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the stars and the post count but what i like really doesn't matter now does it? its what teh great powers from above think is best haha. anyway it hink it will help keep the spamming down but then u got the stars that everyone has mentioned.

I don't think we should take this too far. removing post count is fine, if you standardize stars you get a lil more into it...

If stars are removed, at least keep the names (advance member, member, etc) or let the user customize them (like the high posters can now) so further removal of "status" is allowed

I believe that users spamming should be monitored by the moderators, this removal of post count is a way of takin some work off their shoulders. Honestly I dont think users spam just to get stars, perhaps some but not all that have a high post rate do that to gain "seniority" they just have nothing else to do with their free time.

I personally did not join to long ago, and my post count is pretty high. I am on this site very often and that is why. I know that there are those out there who think I spam or that I used to, to be honest I did excercise my right to post a little too much, and was banned for it.

lesson learned

Users may spam to gain higher rankings because people treat them like noobs, that is part of the reason I started like that; I was new, didnt know the rules and felt like noone respected my opinion. If this is the case with others I think that more respect should be given towards new users, make them feel more at home here. This would help prevent spamming.

If someone spams, its obvious, all the users know and there is a nice little button to report it. Moderators will argue that this is used excessivly, and it may be, but people who use it without proper support should feel the wrath too. This is another thing I have done.

This forum is meant for people to express opinions, learn, give and receive help, and maybe make some money. That being said, let's try to make a civilized decision here, as it effects all of us somewhat. Perhaps a poll should be made or something of that matter, I think that this thread is a very good start. I am interested in hearing from all of you on what I have said, positive or negative, and thanks for reading this whole thing ;)

Then what about the stars? The same problem will occur with the number of stars, the new members will think that the stars show the expertise level of members!

If you have to get rid of this expertise/spamming problem, you will have to remove all evidence of one member being any different from another!

Mind you I like the stars :D, but I just wanted to point out that little aspect of the problem!

:P

Yes, that is a good point and I have already came up with an idea to defeat that :)

I'm going to start working on a code (system) soon that will give stars to members based on a number of things. Posts do not play a major roll in gaining stars, with this new system.

Then what about the stars? The same problem will occur with the number of stars, the new members will think that the stars show the expertise level of members!

If you have to get rid of this expertise/spamming problem, you will have to remove all evidence of one member being any different from another!

Mind you I like the stars :D, but I just wanted to point out that little aspect of the problem!

:P

Yes, that is a good point and I have already came up with an idea to defeat that :)

I'm going to start working on a code (system) soon that will give stars to members based on a number of things. Posts do not play a major roll in gaining stars, with this new system.

So now what? I have to bend over backwards and touch my toes to keep my stars?

Whatever, its all the same to me. But at least let us keep our custom names.

Users may spam to gain higher rankings because people treat them like noobs, that is part of the reason I started like that; I was new, didnt know the rules and felt like noone respected my opinion.

Well theres an old saying that says "respect has to be earned", and you assumed by posting a lot people would care? If you have an answer give it, but telling someone when they ask a question about intel you say something like "I know nothing about them because I'm an AMD man myself, but good luck" I mean what the heck kinda answer is that, did it even need to be posted, NO!! Do you think anyone who reads that will gain respect for you? No. Will they think your post count now shows you to be less of a n00b? no.

On top of that there are still these back an forth chatroom antics going on (1 liner to one liner between two people). Or the response to every post by that person. If something needs to be said and it takes longer then 4 extra questions to get the whole answer, somethings not right, especially when the 4 answers came from a singular "someone". Things like that, I find to be an annoying waste of server space.....

So I repeat

Users may spam to gain higher rankings because people treat them like noobs, that is part of the reason I started like that; I was new, didnt know the rules and felt like noone respected my opinion.

You are a n00b because you didn't know the rules or ediquette and acted like one, thus you should be treated like one. Now you are complaining that the mods are too lazy? While you could have solved the problem by earning repsect over time and not being lazy and spamming useless stuff?

I don't see that mods as having a problem here, it's the people that feel that they could possibly have 100 useful posts in a day or 1 line could answer the question. People get respect because they see others being helped, not by post count. And the people that actually notice the post count (more advanced users with less posts) are the people that despise the spamming.

I like it, I am glad that they are gone. More people win this way

You are a n00b because you didn't know the rules or ediquette and acted like one, thus you should be treated like one. Now you are complaining that the mods are too lazy? While you could have solved the problem by earning repsect over time and not being lazy and spamming useless stuff?

First off I was not saying that the mod were too lazy, simply that doing this is taking weight off their shoulders.

Seccond I stated that I was a noob, and being on I made mistakes. This was the first forum that I have ever joined, I had read the rules and thought I understood them; unfortunately I didnt and thus made some mistakes that were corrected.

Your comment about the intel thing was valid, but that was a while ago, I have stated multiple times that I made a mistake, appologized to those who it effected the most, and moved on, I wish you would do the same.

I had moved on two seconds after it happend, but if you are over it, then why care so much about the post count? If they only set people up to look like n00bs, why stand up for keeping them? Isn't that what you were all about on your previous post?

I meant to put it more this way

If you care so much about status with n00bs not feeling respected here, then why even care about member titles, or stars or all of that? You say you don't care about post count, but how are the stars, or titles any different then post count in making people feel seperated?

The problem is, that's the point of class seperation in the forums, I mean I would trust syk's opinion any day over someone that I have read posts from at the end of every thread on the forum, because yet somehow you have "close" post counts.

I like the idea that post count is gone, and so do you appereantly, but when it seems like everyone agrees with you, you want have an open challenge to it (poll). I figure if you truly didn't care, you wouldn't have asked for it to be up to debate.