Yet another first build ever...

TheBeardedMann

Ok, so I'm building a computer. I've had a Dell E510 for about 7-8 years now. I am looking to build a computer that I can keep for a while without having to update later on, but if I have to, I will. It will be a family computer used mainly for burning Blurays from our camcorder, a little family photo editing, MS Office stuff, internet and basic computer stuff. Not really for gaming, that's what my XBOX is for. So based on that, this is what I have set to get. I looked hard for mail in rebates and daily deal stuff. Also, I like Newegg. They have given me great customer service on past purchases, so I want to keep my business with them.

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H (I like the integrated ATI Radeon HD 4290, I can add a stronger video card later if needed)

Hard Drive - Kingston SSDNow V100 Series SV100S2/64GZ 2.5" 64GB (I want to go with a SSD for Windows 7 and programs)

Hard Drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB (Storing videos, photos, etc.)

RAM - Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 (Not sure on what RAM to get)

Disc Drive - LITE-ON 12X BD-R 8MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner (I like the Lightscribe)

Power Supply - OCZ StealthXstream II OCZ600SXS2 600W ATX12V (Nice deal with the case)

Case - NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Nice deal with the PS)

Monitor - Acer G215HAbd-1 Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LCD (Again, nice deal, Daily Deal on www.newegg.com)

Router - TRENDnet TEW-652BRP 802.11b/g/n (It was on sale and I got it)

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Six-Core (Might be overkill, but it's just a little bit more than the quadcore)

CPU Cooler - Thermalright U120eXtrem1366RT R-C (Not sure if I will need this, OCing is in the future, but not now)

Mounting Clips - Scythe SCCLV-1366 1366 Mounting Clips (Same as CPU Cooler)

Paste - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

So that's it. I have bought the Router, Case, Power Supply, SSD and Monitor already. There were some good deals and mail in rebates, so I bought those items.

Any help would be great. I have a feeling I will be on these forums quite a bit once I get started on this project. Looks like I won't be on the XDA forums much anymore (HTC Incredible!!!).

Ok, so I'm building a computer. I've had a Dell E510 for about 7-8 years now. I am looking to build a computer that I can keep for a while without having to update later on, but if I have to, I will. It will be a family computer used mainly for burning Blurays from our camcorder, a little family photo editing, MS Office stuff, internet and basic computer stuff. Not really for gaming, that's what my XBOX is for. So based on that, this is what I have set to get. I looked hard for mail in rebates and daily deal stuff. Also, I like Newegg. They have given me great customer service on past purchases, so I want to keep my business with them.

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H (I like the integrated ATI Radeon HD 4290, I can add a stronger video card later if needed)

Hard Drive - Kingston SSDNow V100 Series SV100S2/64GZ 2.5" 64GB (I want to go with a SSD for Windows 7 and programs)

Hard Drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB (Storing videos, photos, etc.)

RAM - Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 (Not sure on what RAM to get)

Disc Drive - LITE-ON 12X BD-R 8MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner (I like the Lightscribe)

Power Supply - OCZ StealthXstream II OCZ600SXS2 600W ATX12V (Nice deal with the case)

Case - NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Nice deal with the PS)

Monitor - Acer G215HAbd-1 Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LCD (Again, nice deal, Daily Deal on www.newegg.com)

Router - TRENDnet TEW-652BRP 802.11b/g/n (It was on sale and I got it)

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Six-Core (Might be overkill, but it's just a little bit more than the quadcore)

CPU Cooler - Thermalright U120eXtrem1366RT R-C (Not sure if I will need this, OCing is in the future, but not now)

Mounting Clips - Scythe SCCLV-1366 1366 Mounting Clips (Same as CPU Cooler)

Paste - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

So that's it. I have bought the Router, Case, Power Supply, SSD and Monitor already. There were some good deals and mail in rebates, so I bought those items.

Any help would be great. I have a feeling I will be on these forums quite a bit once I get started on this project. Looks like I won't be on the XDA forums much anymore (HTC Incredible!!!).

Looking good man, looking good. I have a couple suggestions for you though to save some money, or slightly increase performance!

Nice motherboard, love your choice of a board with the 4290, its currently the most powerful integrated graphics available, arguably the new Intel HD on the new sandy bridge CPU's is better, but i doubt it. Intel always has crappy drivers. Getting 8Gb of ram is Also a fantastic idea, its not needed, but with the price of ram these days its by far the best option to spend the Extra $10-15 and just get the 8gb because by the time you would actually need more ram, the entire computer will be out of date. However getting DDR3-1600 is not required for a standard use home/office computer. I would highly recommend these Mushkin modules for only $82.99 on the egg, but better than that, its in a combo deal with your MoBo of choice!!! Making them a EXCELLENT buy over the patriot ones. Even this this somehow turns into a crazy gaming machine or something, DDR3-1333 is still very fast and is far more suited to your needs while saving you a couple bucks in the process, you will never notice the difference in speed.

That SSD is nice, but its overpriced for its performance. For $10 more you can get a SSD that will run circles around it in performance, totally worth it IMO. Here is the SSD id recommend, good SSD with a sandforce controller and a GREAT american based company with great customer service should you ever have any issues with the product(this speaks from experience with the company).

Ok... There is actually no reason to get the 1090T... Yes, it does have higher stock clocks, but you save a butt load of money off the bat going with the 1055t, and it perform just as good for your purpose! Heres the clutch part, Quite simply overclock it just alittle to the 3.2Ghz that the 1090T it at, its very simple and likely wont require anything more than a simple bclk bump in the BIO's!!! And on to the overclocking part, Current gen AMD CPU's run pretty cool, and something such as the cooler you picked is total overkill. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is all you need, for a 1055t/1090t. The Hyper 212+ you will easily be able to handle overclocks of upto 4.0Ghz on the 1055t/1090t. And it actually comes with the required hardware to mount an addition fan, so you wont need to buy anything else for it!(Im actually confused as to why you need the Intel socket 1366 mounting clips?? your getting a AMD socket AM3, something im missing??)

Last but not least, Arctic Silver 5 has for many years no longer been the best thermal paste, and its actually "dangerous" on the fact that its electrically conductive and if it gets anywhere on the board it will short the board out. Obviously this almost never happens but point is, modern day thermal pastes are not conductive and perform even better for the same price or less! Here is are couple recommendations that are cheap and more effective: AC MX-4 and Arctic Silver MTX, Ive personally used both of these pastes, i think the MTX is alittle better and its cheaper because you get less of it. Thats a good and a bad thing heh. Chances are you wont need more than the MTX comes with. However the MTX is very viscous and having used the Hyper 212+ before you need to apply alot of paste to the cooler itself to ensure that there is plenty of paste to fill in the gaps caused by the direct contac heatpipes. For this task the MX-4 is better as it spreads easier and will make filling in all the gaps much easier! Of Course your only gonna to apply the paste once if maybe twice ever. So i cant imagine spending an additional 30 seconds to save $10 will be very bothersome biggrin.gif!!

Sorry for the wall of text, hope this was helpful!

That SSD is nice, but its overpriced for its performance. For $10 more you can get a SSD that will run circles around it in performance, totally worth it IMO. Here is the SSD id recommend, good SSD with a sandforce controller and a GREAT american based company with great customer service should you ever have any issues with the product(this speaks from experience with the company).

Ok... There is actually no reason to get the 1090T... Yes, it does have higher stock clocks, but you save a butt load of money off the bat going with the 1055t, and it perform just as good for your purpose! Heres the clutch part, Quite simply overclock it just alittle to the 3.2Ghz that the 1090T it at, its very simple and likely wont require anything more than a simple bclk bump in the BIO's!!! And on to the overclocking part, Current gen AMD CPU's run pretty cool, and something such as the cooler you picked is total overkill. The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is all you need, for a 1055t/1090t. The Hyper 212+ you will easily be able to handle overclocks of upto 4.0Ghz on the 1055t/1090t. And it actually comes with the required hardware to mount an addition fan, so you wont need to buy anything else for it!(Im actually confused as to why you need the Intel socket 1366 mounting clips?? your getting a AMD socket AM3, something im missing??)

First off, THANKS! I greatly appreciate the suggestions.

I'll get that RAM and paste.

The SSD I chose was because of a nice $40 mail in rebate. It's in the mail and I don't mind returning it if indeed the Mushkin is worth it.

There is a $20 difference with the 1090T and 1055T, that was my reasoning on getting the 1090T. So basically, is it worth an extra $20?

As far as the clips, not sure either. Must have been part of another system I was putting together. Brainfart.

I choose that cooler because I was hoping for a longer lasting system. I figured getting a better cooler now, would benefit me in the long run. But if I can save money and get the same performance/benefits, that's super!

First off, THANKS! I greatly appreciate the suggestions.

I'll get that RAM and paste.

The SSD I chose was because of a nice $40 mail in rebate. It's in the mail and I don't mind returning it if indeed the Mushkin is worth it.

There is a $20 difference with the 1090T and 1055T, that was my reasoning on getting the 1090T. So basically, is it worth an extra $20?

As far as the clips, not sure either. Must have been part of another system I was putting together. Brainfart.

I choose that cooler because I was hoping for a longer lasting system. I figured getting a better cooler now, would benefit me in the long run. But if I can save money and get the same performance/benefits, that's super!

Missed the part that you already had the SSD. No big deal, its still a good SSD, you just could have gotten better. Dont return it, too much work!! Lol

Well here is the only real difference between the 1090t and the 1055t, the 1090t is a Black edition which makes it easier to overclock(because of the unlocked multiplier). Thats pretty much it, They are both capable of hitting 4.0Ghz or higher pretty easily at that. I personally would go for the 1055t. Unless you wanna experiment with some extreme overclocking i just dont see the point in getting the 1090t, even if it is only $20 more. Just my personal opinion. Maybe the simplified overclocking appeals to you on the 1090t, but for what you talking about with some possible overclocking the in future your probably not looking to break any world records and its still really quite easy to get a 1055t to 3.6ghz and higher.

The hyper 212+ at stock speeds will keep either the 1055t or 1090t at nice an chilly temps far superior to the stock cooler. And when it comes time to overclocking temps overall the TRUE will be better, and noticeably so at that. But that doesnt change the fact that at anything except high OC's of 3.8Ghz+ the Hyper 212+ will offer amazing temps that ensure long life of your CPU and even at high OC's such as 4.0Ghz still offers perfectly acceptable temps. Your call if you wanna get the better cooler, as a avid overclocker myself i wont tell you NOT to get the better cooler, lol. You just dont need it haha.

Missed the part that you already had the SSD. No big deal, its still a good SSD, you just could have gotten better. Dont return it, too much work!! Lol

Well here is the only real difference between the 1090t and the 1055t, the 1090t is a Black edition which makes it easier to overclock(because of the unlocked multiplier). Thats pretty much it, They are both capable of hitting 4.0Ghz or higher pretty easily at that. I personally would go for the 1055t. Unless you wanna experiment with some extreme overclocking i just dont see the point in getting the 1090t, even if it is only $20 more. Just my personal opinion. Maybe the simplified overclocking appeals to you on the 1090t, but for what you talking about with some possible overclocking the in future your probably not looking to break any world records and its still really quite easy to get a 1055t to 3.6ghz and higher.

The hyper 212+ at stock speeds will keep either the 1055t or 1090t at nice an chilly temps far superior to the stock cooler. And when it comes time to overclocking temps overall the TRUE will be better, and noticeably so at that. But that doesnt change the fact that at anything except high OC's of 3.8Ghz+ the Hyper 212+ will offer amazing temps that ensure long life of your CPU and even at high OC's such as 4.0Ghz still offers perfectly acceptable temps. Your call if you wanna get the better cooler, as a avid overclocker myself i wont tell you NOT to get the better cooler, lol. You just dont need it haha.

Sweet dude. Thanks. I'll go with the 1055T. $20 saved is nice. And $30 saved on cooler is nicer!

Still debating on the SSD.........

Once again, I greatly appreciate your thoughts, and thanks for the quick reply. If you are out in Bakersfield CA ever, I'll buy you a drink.

Sweet dude. Thanks. I'll go with the 1055T. $20 saved is nice. And $30 saved on cooler is nicer!

Still debating on the SSD.........

Once again, I greatly appreciate your thoughts, and thanks for the quick reply. If you are out in Bakersfield CA ever, I'll buy you a drink.

Dont forget the like $35 saved on the ram with that combo either haha!! And it was my pleasure to help, I can happily go about my day ruining other peoples hopes and dreams knowing that my good deed for the day is complete. evilgrin.gif HAH!!

Also i wouldnt take the SSD very seriously, its really not that big a deal. The only time you will probably ever tell a difference is when you are installing something. The read speed on that Kingston is nice and it has a similar access times due to the MLC design of the SSD's... Your day to day use of the machine will still be fantastically fast and more than acceptable lol. Have you ever used a computer with a SSD boot drive/basic app drive before? It will spoil you, if you use a computer all the time at work you will get frustrated due to comparatively epic slowless on non-SSD machines. Its awesome, lol. The next piece im dropping in my rig is a Mushkin SSD similar to what i linked before. But maybe a 90gb or 120gb so i have room for a game or 2, lol. Just didnt have the budget for it when i built my rig last June.