New build. First one in 10 years.

Ravkin

So I am building a new system. Been about 10 years since I have built one and wanted some opinions on this build. Good/Bad/Things to change.

CPU - i7-980X

Mobo - Intel DX58SO2

GC - Sapphire Radeon HD 6970

Tower - Azza Hurrican

Power - Coolmaster Gold Series 1200w ATX 12v

Ram - G. Skill Ripjaws 12gb (3x4gb) 240 pin

HDD(x2) - Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 7200rpm Sata 6.0

CPU fan - Thermaltake Frio

Thanks in advance

BTW I will be running Windows 7 on one HDD and Snow Leopard on the other.

Edited by Ravkin

You do not need anything remotely close to a 1200 watt PSU.

Also, buy an SSD for your OS drive, the difference is remarkable.

:withstupid: You definitely can save money on a lower wattage PSU.

How are you planning on using your new system?

I agree with the others, if you aren't going to run two 6970s, that's way too much wattage. 750W would be fine, or if you will run crossfire later, 1000W.

Will OSX really recognize all that hardware?? aren't they only up tot 4870s?

Well the plan is when I get more money is to liquid cool the CPU, Mobo, Ram, HDD's and both cards. I checked it out last night and the 5870 is the top one you can get for MAC OS. So I will be adding that right away too. Would 1000w be enough for all that plus adding better fans, fan controller, temp monitor and in the future 2 SSD's and 4 HDD's?

New system will be used mostly for gaming. MAC side will be used for CS5.

Edited by Ravkin

Hard Drives, SSDs, and the other things you mentioned are pretty low on power draw. I wouldn't be very concerned with them. Unless you're dying to build this thing as soon as possible, I'd wait for the Sandy Bridge chipset problem to be fixed and go that route. OCC reviewed the i7 2600k and i5 2500K here:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_corei7_2600k_and_corei5_2500k/

The i7 2600K did pretty well against the 980X, at a third of the price. It's also a lot more power efficient. Just an option to think about. Then you can throw the savings into the water cooling you want.

Edited by Darth_Tom

Well the plan is when I get more money is to liquid cool the CPU, Mobo, Ram, HDD's and both cards. I checked it out last night and the 5870 is the top one you can get for MAC OS. So I will be adding that right away too. Would 1000w be enough for all that plus adding better fans, fan controller, temp monitor and in the future 2 SSD's and 4 HDD's?

New system will be used mostly for gaming. MAC side will be used for CS5.

I'm curious, why not just run CS5 on the windows side??

They said CS5 runs better on Mac. Hey, are you going to Hackintosh it?

Lot forum said more watt is more efficient....

Like this: a system consume 300 Watt with 500 Watt PSU while with 1200 watt, the consume only <280 Watt. weird if you ask me...

Edited by hermes09

They said CS5 runs better on Mac. Hey, are you going to Hackintosh it?

Lot forum said more watt is more efficient....

Like this: a system consume 300 Watt with 500 Watt PSU while with 1200 watt, the consume only <280 Watt. weird if you ask me...

There's no difference, I used it on both platforms. I actually heard it was gimped slightly for mac or was that CS4? I'll have to look it up, I still run CS3 anyway haha

i'm with IVIYTH0S, PC is faster for Adobe products. this is simply because Mac hardware is never up to date. say if you put two identical systems together OSX might be a second or 2 faster because less background stuff going on.

the OP has the right idea to make a hackintosh to save money but it won't preform any different and more of hassle than anything. personally i use PCs because i'm always getting new hardware and the newest software thus getting better results. I think the only right idea Apple had was to put in FB-Dimms which they have done away with and replaced it with normal ram thus making it no more stable than a PC in terms of hardware.

one could always argue that OSX is more stable and this is more or less true since Unix is much more of a cleaner OS (which oddly VIsta/Win7 is based on also). less stuff going in the background= less chance of programs crashing, less hassle but very little to no upgrade options. you are stuck with what Apple gives you in terms of drivers and support, if it doesn't work you are plan out of luck.

Edited by hornybluecow