P.TRIV

Going Unstable P6T Deluxe V2

I've run my baby for over a year with no problems until lately,

It no longer sees my 6GB of memory but sees 4.

I have to reset at boot up 1/2 the time.

Mouse cursor goes unresponsive.

I'm still running Vista but I did reinstall it in an attempt to stabilize this issue.

About the Ram I've tried everything, it seems to be a problem with this board.

I don't want to give up on the motherboard just yet so I've ordered a new cooler

the Antec kuhler-h20-620-liquid-cooler...probably a waste of money but I've read

a few things that suggested it could help with the ram. (the weight of the cooler on the processor).

The 2nd thing I thought I may try is to replace the "Mushkin Redline 6GB DDR3 1600" with ????? suggestions?

The Mushkin was not on their approved list but did for fine for quite awhile. Win 7 should be added also.

After that I'm thinking the motherboard is out.....suggestions? What about the

ASUS Sabertooth? This should still work with my i7 920 right?

I built this computer with help from this forum and have really enjoyed the experience as

Well the performance I’ve gotten from this rig.

Now I want to extend its life again with your help.

Did you change any hardware/software before you started seeing only 4 gb of RAM?

Edited by Alexandre

Whats the chances you've done a BIO's update yet? Chances are updated BIO's will fix your RAM issue atleast.

Open up the memory tab on CPU-Z and see if it recognizes that it is all there. You might have had a stick go bad. In that case I would just do a RMA with Mushkin

Edited by TheHippi

Yes CPU-Z, BIO's update all have been tried,thanks. CPU-Z will see all the memory, this has been discused in many other threads and seems to be a common problem.

I'm at the point now guys that I'd like to fix my problem by upgrading the system, I'm fishing for Ideas using most of what I currently have.

Yes CPU-Z, BIO's update all have been tried,thanks. CPU-Z will see all the memory, this has been discused in many other threads and seems to be a common problem.

I'm at the point now guys that I'd like to fix my problem by upgrading the system, I'm fishing for Ideas using most of what I currently have.

Still seems like your system is worth fixing, It doesnt really get much better than an overclocked i7-920... You could just get a new motherboard, Or RMA your current board to Asus, if its as common a problem as you say chances are its something they will fix/replace!

Your only way out and into an upgrade is Sandy Bridge, which you cant buy yet(because of the recall) And using your 3 sticks of ram giving you a set of dual channel and a set of single channel on a sandy bridge would hurt your performance. So you would either need to only use two sticks, Or buy another 2gb stick with similar time/timings, its pretty hard to find a high quality single stick of ram. So i guess you could buy new ram too, 2x4gb set.

IMO, fix your current system(either by more google, or RMA) or replace the motherboard hopefully resolving all current problems.

Thanks for the comeback MercuryDoun, I adgree replacing the motherboard seems to be the logical fix

that is why I was asking about the Sabertooth board, it has that MemOK! feature, which may solve the memory problem.

I love to RMA the old board but I never seem to keep hold of my paperwork! that & I'm not entirely certain anything is wrong with it.

Thanks for the comeback MercuryDoun, I adgree replacing the motherboard seems to be the logical fix

that is why I was asking about the Sabertooth board, it has that MemOK! feature, which may solve the memory problem.

I love to RMA the old board but I never seem to keep hold of my paperwork! that & I'm not entirely certain anything is wrong with it.

Sabertooth board is a nice MoBo. I dont think its as nice as my P6X58D-E, but meh, its like $30 cheaper too. Ive used the sabertooth x58 in a build at work for my boss. Got a i7-950 to 3.8Ghz prime95 stable(for 8 hours anyways) and it literally took my 15 seconds to pop some generic settings in that i know for a fact work on my P6X58D-E, and just over shot the vcore by alittle to make sure it would be enough, its got a Hyper 212+ on top of it so its nice and cool still.

Great board IMO. Its definitely a good option! If your used to Asus Bio's you will have no problem navigating the sabertooth and it will be like nothing hardly even changed, lol.

Maybe replace your board, then try and RMA your old one anyways, so long as you have the serial number you should atleast be able to try an RMA it, if you get it RMA'd and its "fixed" could try and sell it for cheap, be straight forward about why you replaced it and why you RMA'd it and sell it for like $50-$75 im sure someone would be happy to "Take the risk" at that price.

Thanks again MercuryDoun, nice to hear first hand on that board.

I'm going to start with the cooler, maybe I'll get lucky, and go from there.

I'm not sure you need the receipt for Asus RMAs, did you order the stuff online?? If so, and they do need proof of purchase than you'll be able to retrieve the information that way.

Hello IVIYTHOS

I’m sure you don’t remember but you were a lot of help when I built this rig in 09.

This is all good info, I’ve never been big on returns but with the price per piece on this hobby…..

it would be stupid not to. Almost all parts came from NewEgg.

yeah even if you return it for the new one, you shouldn't just take the $$ hit for no reason :P