Pc on all night?

dario_92

we have 6 PCs that are on 24/7-365 (unless rebooted)

and have been for years...

nothing wrong with leaving them on and with either Sleep or Hibernation turned on they use very little power sleeping

You my friend are a crazy man :) How is your power bill like? :P Or are these company computers?

Edited by Alexandre

I don't think there's any harm in leaving our computer on 24/7.

I don't do it because it increases the electric bill, increases the amount of dust which means I have to clean my computer more often, i've also found it wears out the fans and the hard drives faster but those parts are relatively cheap to replace and if you replace your computer often that isn't something you have to worry about.

Edited by fire_storm

I don't think there's any harm in leaving our computer on 24/7.

I don't do it because it increases the electric bill, increases the amount of dust which means I have to clean my computer more often, i've also found it wears out the fans and the hard drives faster but those parts are relatively cheap to replace and if you replace your computer often that isn't something you have to worry about.

If you use features such as Cool-n-Quiet and the Hybrid sleep that is built into Vista and Windows 7 then leaving a PC on 24/7 does not make a huge difference in your electric bill. My PCs in idle mode suck up about 80 watts of power due to CnQ. After 20 minutes of not being used they drop to sleep mode and pull about 2 watts of power. BTW just turning off the PC and not disconnecting the power still pulls 1 watt. It is very possible to run a PC 24/7 and not make an impact on the light bill.

If you use features such as Cool-n-Quiet and the Hybrid sleep that is built into Vista and Windows 7 then leaving a PC on 24/7 does not make a huge difference in your electric bill.

Those generally dont work in overclocked conditions.

You my friend are a crazy man :) How is your power bill like? :P Or are these company computers?

well it has very little impact on the power bill...generally 1 PC uses around the same power as a 100watt light bulb unless you are doing intensive stuff...we usually dont. little gaming and more media usage from the server than anything.

my server even being a Quad core AMD and 4 hard drives uses a little less than 100 watts even with 4 other PCs pulling media from it. here is the short list...

1) My main rig ( c2q )

2) wifes rig ( AMD dual core)

3) Server ( AMD quad core)

4) kids PC ( AMD dual core 939)

5) HTPC (AMD dual core)

6) Monster-in-laws PC ( AMD dual core)

These 6 are on 24/7...

7) my gaming rig (i7-860) this rig gets very little use.....

Those generally dont work in overclocked conditions.

:withstupid:

I don't like using those power saving options because I've found they cause a lot of problems with speed meaning when your doing something intensive the bios never full brings the cpu up to full speed which causes performance problems and turning it on and off it is just a pain.

I know that i am probaly just being paranoid when i ask this question... Is it ok to leave my pc on all night folding? i have a surge protector socket but my room is roasting and my i5-760 is folding at about 37-40c...

Would it be ok to do this?

a year or two back when i was folding alot, there were three machines running 24-7, contributing to the task. yes it kept the house warm at night, and yes the power bill went up. as far as leaving your machine on all night, it's up to you...if it runs cool enough then why not ? ...