Sign in to follow this  
dario_92

Pc on all night?

I know that i am probaly just being paranoid when i ask this question... Is it ok to leave my pc on all night folding? i have a surge protector socket but my room is roasting and my i5-760 is folding at about 37-40c...

Would it be ok to do this?

I don't see why not, plenty of people leave their PCs on all night and I'm sure some even have them folding all night. If you're worried the room is too hot, you could always bring in a small fan to help move the air around in the room.

i left my computer work all night for few days. its nothing to worry if is not overheating:) sorry for bad english:)

I run my PC for months at a time. I don't fold on my desktop (power bill is high enough <.<), but it's overclocked at 3.6 GHz, and it's perfectly fine. So far, my longest uptime was about 3 months, but I restarted for an update.

Beware the increased power bill.... :ph34r:

:withstupid: Lol, thanks for pointing out that Alexandre. People some times don't realize it but It sometimes costs a pretty penny to run these High Performance Rigs all night Working.

Now for the question. Are you using the Processor with the old client or the Video card High performance SMP client to fold?

37-40c is by no means too hot. But the question is what is folding here? If you are folding with the Processor then this is just fine. Leave the door open with a fan on. If you want to make sure nothing can happen and be redundant about it use core temps Shut down feature and have the PC shut down @ 60-65C. Its a really easy to configure.

If your folding on the Video card then whats its temperature by chance?

Besides your electric bill, nothing to really worry about.

yup i leave mine on all the time my best uptime was with a 1.3 cely folding 24/7 for just over a year with no reboots as i didnt bother with updates lol but as other have said if your worried about anything it should be the power bill :)

I think my uptime is at 90 days now since my last restart o.o.

I don't fold anymore, but it is just connivance for me... I should really turn it off, but I get lazy lol..

I really gotta replace the fans in my server so I can leave it on all the time lol. They are way to loud atm...

If my old computer could sleep I would but it never would while it was overclocked. Hopefully my new one can

Beware the increased power bill.... :ph34r:

I discovered that. :wacko: I think it jumped 100kwh's and thats only going 20/7 (i would set it to go to sleep 5 hours after i went to bed)

I find that if I leave mine on for more than a few days at a time it doesn't ever want to shut down or restart the system just hangs at the logout screen.