Groedius

New computer build

Looking to help my australian friend get an computer put together. So far from what is available within there budget i have come up with.

System 1 - this comes to about 1200 which is the budget

1 TB seagate barracuda 7200 RPM

AMD phone II X6 AM3 1090T

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 890GX ATX M/B

4 GB DDR3 Ram

600W thermaltake Lite power supply - Or would i need more ?

MSI geforce GTX 460

Coolermaster HAF 922

Samsung DVD-RW drive

System 2 - this comes to about 1350 which is over so not too sure if they could afford this

AL-GA-X58A-UD3R Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Intel Core i7 950

4 GB DDR3 Ram

MSI geforce GTX 460

Coolermaster HAF 922

Samsung DVD-RW drive

Was leaning towards system 1 and would the power supply be ok and any other suggestions.

Looking to help my australian friend get an computer put together. So far from what is available within there budget i have come up with.

System 1 - this comes to about 1200 which is the budget

AMD phone II X6 AM3 1090T

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 890GX ATX M/B

4 GB DDR3 Ram

MSI geforce GTX 460

Coolermaster HAF 922

Samsung DVD-RW drive

System 2 - this comes to about 1350 which is over so not too sure if they could afford this

AL-GA-X58A-UD3R Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Intel Core i7 950

4 GB DDR3 Ram

MSI geforce GTX 460

Coolermaster HAF 922

Samsung DVD-RW drive

Was leaning towards system 1 and would the power supply be ok and any other suggestions.

My Suggestions:

Drop the CPU in system 1 to a 1055t... Then use the saved money on a after market cooler(Such as the cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212+, its around $30US) And overclock the 1055t to 3.6Ghz or so, or even higher, but since its not your computer no reason to go for a more intense overclock, just a nice bump in speed will do. At the very least just bump it up to the level of the 1090t, for cheaper.

Any money left over from the CPU downgrade, use to try and get a 750w PSU. If not 600w will be enough for whats in the system. Unless you use a hacked BIO's in the AMD board you wont be able to use SLI anyways. So i guess adding another GTX460 down the road wont be as big an issue. But i dont think a 600w PSU will handle an overclocked 1055t and 2 GTX460's in SLI. Might be ok if you dont overclock the 460's.

My Suggestions:

Drop the CPU in system 1 to a 1055t... Then use the saved money on a after market cooler(Such as the cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212+, its around $30US) And overclock the 1055t to 3.6Ghz or so, or even higher, but since its not your computer no reason to go for a more intense overclock, just a nice bump in speed will do. At the very least just bump it up to the level of the 1090t, for cheaper.

Any money left over from the CPU downgrade, use to try and get a 750w PSU. If not 600w will be enough for whats in the system. Unless you use a hacked BIO's in the AMD board you wont be able to use SLI anyways. So i guess adding another GTX460 down the road wont be as big an issue. But i dont think a 600w PSU will handle an overclocked 1055t and 2 GTX460's in SLI. Might be ok if you dont overclock the 460's.

There not perticularly tech savy so i doubt they will be Overclocking the system. I might do it for them if they wish when i finally get a chance to go see him later on this year. The CPU though was on special in a bundle so it was actually quite cheap anyhow for it.

There not perticularly tech savy so i doubt they will be Overclocking the system. I might do it for them if they wish when i finally get a chance to go see him later on this year. The CPU though was on special in a bundle so it was actually quite cheap anyhow for it.

Well then... I guess theres not much else you can do for the system. If your already at your budget max then theres nothing you can add to it, and there isnt really much you can change.

The AMD system looks like a solid build! Go for it!

I LOVE my 1090T and agree with everyone else. Also, 600 watts is WAY more than enough. The system in my signature runs on a 560 with tons of room to spare, and I had a GTX 460 before I had the vid card that is in there now and ran with no problems at all. I also love my Gigabyte Motherboard--which isn't quite the same, but they are similar to be sure. I'd spring for a higher QUALITY power supply, but thermaltake is still a dependable namebrand that should serve your purposes well.

Bruce

Get the Phenom II X6 build, the i7 one is incomplete AND over budget.

Are you referring to the fact that the i7 build doesn't have 3 sticks of RAM for triple channel? Because it looks like it's complete.. :dunno:

@ OP Where are you buying from? MSY Australia?

With/without SLIing the 460s I would go with a good 750w PSU for most power efficiency, lower temperatures and less noise.

The 460's in SLI require about 500w with the AMD system so a 600w PSU could handle it but it will be running at its limits where it is less efficient.

Check out OCC's Recommended Power Supply list for a good list of trusted and reliable PSUs.

Edited by Alexandre

Are you referring to the fact that the i7 build doesn't have 3 sticks of RAM for triple channel? Because it looks like it's complete.. :dunno:

@ OP Where are you buying from? MSY Australia?

With/without SLIing the 460s I would go with a good 750w PSU for most power efficiency, lower temperatures and less noise.

The 460's in SLI require about 500w with the AMD system so a 600w PSU could handle it but it will be running at its limits where it is less efficient.

Check out OCC's Recommended Power Supply list for a good list of trusted and reliable PSUs.

I disagree 100% with the PSU thing. If they aren't planning to SLI, and even if they are, PSUs are most efficient at ~50-70%. That box would spend most of it's time drawing much less than 300-400 watts, to add a larger power supply just makes that optimal range even further away from assumed normal conditions. This would result in running at a lower efficiency most of the time (and at a higher initial cost). They aren't overclocking and likely not folding 24/7 so anything higher than 600 would be a mistake IMHO.

FYI: I can't even hear my PSU run. When I had the GTX 460, the PSU would often run fanless (which according to it's specs means that it was < 20% of it's capacity)--bear in mind that this is the exact CPU/GPU he is talking about with the AMD build. I would have shot even lower on the wattage, however I wanted to be able to drop a 580 in it later if I so desired. Also, lower efficiency causes excess heat because of the increased amount of wasted power that gets dissipated, it'd be better price wise, temp wise, and efficiency wise to stick with the 600 (and if not planning to SLI or overclock or fold 24/7, maybe even drop to 550).

Bruce

I disagree 100% with the PSU thing. If they aren't planning to SLI, and even if they are, PSUs are most efficient at ~50-70%. That box would spend most of it's time drawing much less than 300-400 watts, to add a larger power supply just makes that optimal range even further away from assumed normal conditions. This would result in running at a lower efficiency most of the time (and at a higher initial cost). They aren't overclocking and likely not folding 24/7 so anything higher than 600 would be a mistake IMHO.

FYI: I can't even hear my PSU run. When I had the GTX 460, the PSU would often run fanless (which according to it's specs means that it was < 20% of it's capacity)--bear in mind that this is the exact CPU/GPU he is talking about with the AMD build. I would have shot even lower on the wattage, however I wanted to be able to drop a 580 in it later if I so desired. Also, lower efficiency causes excess heat because of the increased amount of wasted power that gets dissipated, it'd be better price wise, temp wise, and efficiency wise to stick with the 600 (and if not planning to SLI or overclock or fold 24/7, maybe even drop to 550).

Bruce

I agree in part to what Bruce is saying, people automatically assume that a PC is going to be run at full throttle all of the time which doesn't happen in reality, does it? It's very hard to select a power supply to take advantage of maximum efficiency, which by the way I'd put at between 40% and 60%, but that's nit picking, it all boils down to the average power consumption of the PC. The average power consumption is very difficult to quantify unless a PC is doing the exact same work all of the time. I fold on two GTX460's for perhaps 12/7 of the time and have been pleasantly surprised by a power consumption of only 270W. I've seen review figures of around 450W for two GTX460's in SLI on reasonably powerful systems but this is using stress test programs that produce power consumptions rarely achieved in the real world.

Efficiency and the 80 Plus program doesn't help the average PC user much in my opinion but it does, via a cumalative effect, help the environment and reduce losses to the power generation industry. Take two power supplies, one at £50.00 with 70% efficiency and another at £100.00 with 85% efficiency, taking efficiency, an average UK electricity cost, and 500W (DC from the psu) consumption into account it would take a year at 8 hours a day to make up the difference in cost. This figure could probably be stretched to two or three years because very few people will draw 500W for 8 hours a day, 365 days a year, would they?

A good quality power supply of 600W is more than enough for two GTX460's in SLI. If you want cool and quiet get a Seasonic X-Series 750W and you'll still get great efficiency! :lol:

I agree about the PSU suggestion, I really can't brag on the Seasonic X-Series highly enough (although I'd still suggest that 750 is overkill). I love my 560 Watt, but you definitely pay for the quality--but I tend to look at it like this: I'll still be enjoying the quality long after I've forgotten about what I had to spend.

And 40-60, 50-70, each PSU tends to have it's own efficiency vs load characteristics. If it were up to me, they'd have to print that graph on the side of the box it comes in.

Bruce

Very well, I concede your points about the PSU wattage. Since you both have more experience with 460s and more understanding on the issue then I trust you in your judgment that 600w will be fine :)

Thanks for that :cheers:

Very well, I concede your points about the PSU wattage. Since you both have more experience with 460s and more understanding on the issue then I trust you in your judgment that 600w will be fine :)

Thanks for that :cheers:

As you should!! I mean heck you're running a 550W with a 1366 i7 for crying out loud :teehee: