OCing i7 2600K on GB P67A-UD3R

aussieOC92

hello, just built a new sandy bridge system and looking to overclock my i7 2600K to at least 4.5-4.7GHZ. i have an Noctua NH-D14 and MX-4 paste. ive currently got the i7 at 4.2 ghz @ 1.260 Vcore. now i need to know about the TURBO RATIO. ive been told that disabling the 'turbo boost' wont allow the cpu to be overclocked. but i dont want to disable it. but currently its set as 38 for 1 core. but im running all 4 cores at 42. so should i adjust all the turbo ratios. to the same as the CPU multiplier or above the cpu multiplier. so for example. 42x 100 for all 4 cores and 44x for 1 core and 43 for 2 cores?

sorry for the noobness.

would really appreciate it if i had a couple of solid replys.

oh and my MAX TEMP on the hottest core of the i7 gets to 58. on a 32 degrees Celcius day in Western Australia. using ITB. Stress level HIGH and 8 threads. i don;t believe in PRIME 95 as in reality i would never put ym cpu under that much load as prime does.

many regards mitch.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Mitch and welcome to OCC! :thumbsup:

Great to see another Aussie here!

While I don't have much experience with overclocking the new SB system (others can help you in that area) I want to say a word about Prime95.

Yes, I agree with you that Prime95 loads the computer way more than any program or application may load it but that is the whole point about Prime95. It load your system to high levels hence allowing you to discover errors in a very short amount of time.

You may use software which doesn't load the CPU/system as much but if there are errors occurring, due to overclocking, which the weaker stress test doesn't find, it still won't change the fact that these errors are occurring on your system which need to be addressed.

Prime95 is a great program mate and I would highly recommend using it :)

The best way to overclock is to leave the Turbo multipliers alone (you can disable turbo if you want)! Just adjust the main CPU multiplier there is no need to play with the turbo settings.

If you need any other help feel free to private msg me or ask in this thread.

jackbrennan2008, i see you have an i7 2600K urself. do u have turbo boost enabled? and how did you manage to get 4.5 on 1.265V?

I've had this chip up to 5565Mhz so it's very possible to get an extremely high clock on these chips; with that being said an extremely nice 24/7 overclock is also there to be had! But firstly what BIOS are you using? I've found certain BIOS require either more or less Vcore. For example the BIOS i am on now requires 1.285v for my 4.5Ghz overclock compared to my previous BIOS which only needed 1.265v (I changed BIOS due to it not having the 'sleep' bug).

Go here to check for the current latest BIOS for your board. Although don't upgrade your BIOS just yet as you shoud have a play with the current one first. If you set your Vcore to 1.30 and the main multiplier (You don't need to disable turbo or change any turbo settings) to 45 see if you can boot into windows @ 4.5Ghz. Leave everything else on AUTO, but be sure to set the correct DRAM voltage for your RAM.

Almost everyone can boot at 4.5Ghz with 1.30v so you should be good to go with that setting. Then if it boots without problems you can wind down the Vcore until it doesn't boot, then take it up a bit and you should be stable. Once you have 4.5Ghz worked out you can then press on to 5Ghz if that is what you want to do.

After 5Ghz i've found increasing the CPU PLL voltage helps a bit, for example, for me to boot and have a benchmark stable 5.5Ghz i need 1.96 CPU PLL, anything lower and it won't boot.

Edited by jackbrennan2008

im looking to get 4.5ghz 24/7 stable clock. i have the latest bios F7. not the F7a. the F7. the only thing thats holding me back is whether to change the turbo boost. because i want my cpu to have a higher clock when using 1 or 2 cores. so say if i have 4.5ghz for 4 cores. i would like 4.6-4.8 for 1 or 2 cores if u get me. so if i leave the turbo ratio alone i will have 3.8ghz as my max clock for 1 core?

im looking to get 4.5ghz 24/7 stable clock. i have the latest bios F7. not the F7a. the F7. the only thing thats holding me back is whether to change the turbo boost. because i want my cpu to have a higher clock when using 1 or 2 cores. so say if i have 4.5ghz for 4 cores. i would like 4.6-4.8 for 1 or 2 cores if u get me. so if i leave the turbo ratio alone i will have 3.8ghz as my max clock for 1 core?

Well you have the option to increase the turbo multipliers, but you will have to set the Vcore so it supports the highest boost otherwise you might get BSODs. I personally feel setting the CPU to specific multiplier and just letting Intels power saving technology do the rest. When my pc loads up it works at 4.5Ghz and when it's idling it works at 1600Mhz. But if you set the main multiplier to 4.5Ghz the turbo doesn't do anything and is essentially nullified as the CPU uses the main multiplier instead.

If however you want the CPU to boost depending on how many cores are loaded then you can overclock using the turbo boost. Just remember to set the Vcore according to the highest boost.

Overclocking is very trial and error dependant so just give it a go and see how it works out for you.

ok i have set my bios setting as so.

CPU multi: 42

vcore: 1.260

turbo ratio: 45,44,43,42

all the other voltages and power saving is set to either the required voltage or AUTO.

i did another ibt. and its not going over 60C. but the humidity is very high atm in Perth WA. so wen it cools down ill see better temps. i also like to say that i have HT enabled.

i shall do a Prime 95 test wen it cools down as im not running it in this 30 degree/ 70% humidity conditions. :\

i might re seat my nh-d14. im also looking at replacing the 120mm fan with a 140mm flex :).

so for now i will stick with my clocks until it cools down. then ill look at hitting 4.5ghz on 4 cores. maybe 4.8ghz on 1 core :)

ok i have set my bios setting as so.

CPU multi: 42

vcore: 1.260

turbo ratio: 45,44,43,42

all the other voltages and power saving is set to either the required voltage or AUTO.

i did another ibt. and its not going over 60C. but the humidity is very high atm in Perth WA. so wen it cools down ill see better temps. i also like to say that i have HT enabled.

i shall do a Prime 95 test wen it cools down as im not running it in this 30 degree/ 70% humidity conditions. :\

i might re seat my nh-d14. im also looking at replacing the 120mm fan with a 140mm flex :).

so for now i will stick with my clocks until it cools down. then ill look at hitting 4.5ghz on 4 cores. maybe 4.8ghz on 1 core :)

I don't think the Turbo Boost works if you manually set the CPU multiplier to anything other than default. If you want to use Turbo Boost you should only change the Turbo Boost ratios.

Edited by jackbrennan2008

Click the link on my sig for "Overclocking the i7 2600k". :P

In my stress tests, I've noticed it's easy to get into Windows, but stress testing verifies that it's stable.

Safest temp and voltage overclocks will be in the 4.4GHz and 4.5GHz range.