Dark Souls

WhenKittensATK

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be happy you even get to play the dang game. Demon's Souls had such low sales in the NA, its a wonder they even localized Dark Souls.

Do you have a reference with that? It's my understanding that Demon's Souls sold very well in NA and is in fact on the Greatest Hits list, which usually only games that sold well make it onto.

They only sold ~280,000 after a few months, which isn't a lot. Then they practically cut the price by a lot and threw "Greatest Hits", most likely due to the game ratings and at last 250,000 sales. Then, it started selling much better.

Dark Souls practically sold that much in the first week alone.

Edited by AZNguyen

While I'm not sure you guys would be in the majority, I do fully recognize that there are quite a few people that feel that same and will not buy the game simply because of GFWL. I definitely think it's a huge mistake for Namco Bandai to choose GFWL over Steam with Steamworks, but I also realize that porting to GFWL from the Xbox 360 is a lot easier than porting to Steamworks. I personally think that if they announced a delay in the game, with the reason being they decided to switch to Steam, most PC gamers would not merely accept that, but actually embrace it. But with a little less than two months away, I don't see that happening.

Well it is coming from the PS3, but outside of that quick correction I would agree with you here. Though coming from the PS3 is one the biggest reasons I am surprised it is not going to Steam ...seeing as how Steam has already formed friendly relations with Sony/PS3. Oh well.

Like NicoDG said, GFWL was a good idea in concept... but horribly implemented.

Edited by Fogel

Well it is coming from the PS3, but outside of that quick correction I would agree with you here. Though coming from the PS3 is one the biggest reasons I am surprised it is not going to Steam ...seeing as how Steam has already formed friendly relations with Sony/PS3. Oh well.

Like NicoDG said, GFWL was a good idea in concept... but horribly implemented.

Sony may have a relationship with Valve, but they have nothing to do with this - Namco Bandai is the publisher and From Software is the developer.

Also, FYI, Dark Souls is on the Xbox 360, so yes, what I said is accurate - it's a lot easier to port to GFWL because of that, rather than to Steamworks.

Sony may have a relationship with Valve, but they have nothing to do with this - Namco Bandai is the publisher and From Software is the developer.

Also, FYI, Dark Souls is on the Xbox 360, so yes, what I said is accurate - it's a lot easier to port to GFWL because of that, rather than to Steamworks.

Good point I stand corrected on all accounts - makes more sense now that I know Dark Souls is also on Xbox 360 ...thought it was a PS3 exclusive, guess that is just Demon Souls. Since Dark Souls isn't an exclusive that definitely gives Namco Bandai more room to work with.

I've never heard any of my 360 friends talk about Dark Souls though, so I wonder what benefit it will get with a smaller online community. I am totally guessing here, but I am guessing the point of going with GFWL is so that so that PC people can interact with console players. There is definitely a bigger playerbase with PS3 and Steam. If they could somehow tie those two communities together the online XP with Dark Souls would be immense. Though maybe they have no plans to allow 360 players to interact with GFWL players. Really no point in spending time/effort to get that to happen when not many 360 players even play the game.

360 is a little over half of sales that the PS3 made. This game and the previous was mostly word of mouth. I've gotten most of my 360 friends to buy this after I played Demon's Souls. It would be hard for 360 players to recommend this game, if they've never experienced Demon's Souls.

PS3/Steamworks relationship is only due to the fact that Valve owns both the game and the service. You really don't see developers who make PC Steamworks games releasing the console version as Steamworks either.

Edited by AZNguyen

• 1 month later...

I'm at work so can't check most gaming sites. Does this mean the Steam version won't have GFWL? Also I read something about it being capped at 30 FPS and 720p...this true?