Advice for new build.

Cryonics

Hi Guys,

I am getting ready to build a new system and I have been watching the situation unfold regarding the new Intel procs.

So the big question is do I wait until this is resolved or do I go with parts that are available now?

My current build is an i7 980 Extreme based on the p6x58d premium board with 12 gigs of the dominator 1600 9-9-9-24,

120gig force ssd for the o.s., xfired 5970's.

My budget for the next build is around $4k

Hi Guys,

I am getting ready to build a new system and I have been watching the situation unfold regarding the new Intel procs.

So the big question is do I wait until this is resolved or do I go with parts that are available now?

My current build is an i7 980 Extreme based on the p6x58d premium board with 12 gigs of the dominator 1600 9-9-9-24,

120gig force ssd for the o.s., xfired 5970's.

My budget for the next build is around $4k

Your 980x is still better than anything else out there at present. wait for Bulldozer and Ivybridge and see how they are compared to your 980x. For that matter your CF 5970's also very good. Would also wait for next gen Gpus as well.

Your 980x is still better than anything else out there at present. wait for Bulldozer and Ivybridge and see how they are compared to your 980x. For that matter your CF 5970's also very good. Would also wait for next gen Gpus as well.

Thanks for the input dihartnell!

Thats what I was thinking but some of the early benchmarks are impressive.

Dude that is one AWESOME computer system you have there! Are you be looking to upgrade or just get another computer? The one you have doesn't fit some need?

EDIT: Btw I have the P6X58D Premium board too - it is an amazing board eh?

Edited by Alexandre

Nice setup ! That 980x will definately get rid of any bottleneck on those 5970's which I dont think the 2600k would . Wait for Intel's Ivy Bridge and AMD's Bulldozer but it will more likely be that Intel will reign king with 28nm cpu's compared to Bulldozer's 32nm die .

Dude that is one AWESOME computer system you have there! Are you be looking to upgrade or just get another computer? The one you have doesn't fit some need?

EDIT: Btw I have the P6X58D Premium board too - it is an amazing board eh?

Its a great board I really like it. Oc'ing is a breeze and its extremely stable. They really did a very nice job with this board.

It fits all my needs I haven't come across anything it won't handle. Just itching to build a new system. I was checking out some parts on newegg last night.

And of course this exceeds my budget but I can always increase that. :evilgrin:

I know it is last years board but I was looking at the sr2 rev. a2.

Then we gotta add wc so everything stays nice and frosty.

This is what I had picked out

Procs My link.

Ram My link

Graphics My link

Hard drives for the o.s. My link

Hard drives for storage SR2 My link

PSU My link

SR2 My link

Edited by Cryonics

Nice setup ! That 980x will definately get rid of any bottleneck on those 5970's which I dont think the 2600k would . Wait for Intel's Ivy Bridge and AMD's Bulldozer but it will more likely be that Intel will reign king with 28nm cpu's compared to Bulldozer's 32nm die .

Thanks Nyt Ryda!