1st Build...Lots of questions

MCABC

First time posting here...

All, I am thinking about building myself a new PC principally for trading applications. I don't really have a set budget (I need something that works, w/good bang for the buck, I guess), it will be used nights and weekends as well as maybe a day or two a month (when working from home).

I absolutely need either a motherboard w/integrated dual-monitor support or a separate video card.

I will not be using the computer for gaming, but I run a lot of applications that tend to be somewhat resource-hogs simultaneously (Bloomberg, etc). Many of these applications pull large amounts of data from the internet. I also have large excel sheets with complicated calculations and access databases that are pulling data regularly.

I'm wondering if my best setup would be something similar to what the poster ended up in the following thread:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=179520

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MCABC

You may not get many replies as this is a pretty mundane build for the typical enthusiast on this site.

Haven't looked at the link but you definitely need something with good CPU horsepower. Either AMD or Intel will suit your needs. Look for the newer high-performance CPUs from either of these companies. A basic motherboard should do you fine. You don't need Crossfire or SLI support as you should probably go AMD for the graphics and use their Eyefinity offering.

Most video cards support dual monitors these days, but you'll want to make sure they can run both at high resolutions depending on the native resolutions of your monitors. For instance, I had an old video card that could only do 1920 x 1080 on ONE monitor and 1024x768 on the other. Just watch out for that. As for the rest of it. You don't need much storage given you aren't playing games or watching movies, etc. What storage you do need if you want a crisp response should be from an SSD--get at least 128GB with at least 250mb/s write capabilities. Any high end processor will do, I love my AMD 1090T, but it's your choice really. Any decent quality motherboard would suffice, I'd suggest going with 8GB RAM and therefore you'd want to use a 64 bit operating system, proabably Windows 7 64 would be best for what you are talking about. A couple of 24 or 25 inch monitors can be had pretty cheaply from newegg.

OR... if you wanted to get outlandish, you could get something like this a video card for 4 monitors (although the stands for 4 big monitors are unusually expensive, sadly)

Most video cards support dual monitors these days, but you'll want to make sure they can run both at high resolutions depending on the native resolutions of your monitors. For instance, I had an old video card that could only do 1920 x 1080 on ONE monitor and 1024x768 on the other. Just watch out for that. As for the rest of it. You don't need much storage given you aren't playing games or watching movies, etc. What storage you do need if you want a crisp response should be from an SSD--get at least 128GB with at least 250mb/s write capabilities. Any high end processor will do, I love my AMD 1090T, but it's your choice really. Any decent quality motherboard would suffice, I'd suggest going with 8GB RAM and therefore you'd want to use a 64 bit operating system, proabably Windows 7 64 would be best for what you are talking about. A couple of 24 or 25 inch monitors can be had pretty cheaply from newegg.

OR... if you wanted to get outlandish, you could get something like this a video card for 4 monitors (although the stands for 4 big monitors are unusually expensive, sadly)

Yes, for the video card go AMD for their eyefinity. and the rest ---> :withstupid:

Also, Why don't try custom computer builder like iBuyPower or else? search something that has horsepower. However, i don't recommend to go 980X directly unless you got a very deep pocket(it got horsepower alright!). and for networking, i suggest try finding better solution for ethernet card unless onboard solution is more than enough for you.

Edited by hermes09

Sounds like an AMD machine is in your future!!

Check out some of the Athlon II quads, maybe 4GB of DDR3 memory (1333mhz will be fine), an 890GX motherboard (which has integrated graphics, but am not sure if it can run dual monitors....I'd look into it) if not the integrated I'm sure a cheap newer graphics card could, get a nice case that you'd like the looks or the functionality of, a modest power supply (probably don't need more than a 400W). Then of course your keyboard, mouse and monitor(s) of choice!