Sign in to follow this  
wowdoggy954

How I overclock HD6850 in Crossfire

Man, these GIGABYTE cards are great. I have two 6850's Crossfired and oc'd from 775/1000 to 950/1100 and I think they might go a little bit further but I don't want to push it.

First of all I am not saying a HD6850 is faster than a HD6870 - only that 950/1100 is faster than 900/1050 (HD6870 stock).

It took me awhile to figure out how to do it and here's how.

- Make sure the card BIOS's are matching and up-to-date (mine weren't)

- Get the most current version of Catalyst Control Center and leave it at default settings

- Get the most current beta version of MSI Afterburner

- Open MSIAfterburner.cfg in notepad and change EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0 to =1

- Navigate to the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

and change EnableUlps from 0x00000001 (0) to 0x00000000 (0)

Applying Afterburner settings to my Crossfire setup would result in a system freeze before I found out it was necessary to change the registry key value.

- Now you have voltage control and the sliders for the clocks can go past the 850/1200 limits imposed by CCC

I

Nice . I had a Sapphire HD6870 and got it to 1010mhz core and 1210mhz mem on 1.3mV and didnt have to change anything .

Nice, lets see some stability tests readouts and maybe a few benchmarks from before and after.

I'm sure you have seen a performance gain but I'm curious what your gain in performance is by numbers.