Please help, I'm going crazy

bandit_one89

Hey all,

so I recently decided to test the capability of two SATA III hdd's in a raid 0 configuration, I was comparing this to my single SATA II ssd as a constant.

~However~

I discovered that both WD Caviar black 1TB hdd's fail when attached through the marval raid controller... these are my only SATA III ports available and out the the 3 drives I tested only one works

(I receive a 'read error' when running HD Tune and my system crashes)

but when attached through a SATA II port the drives function fully and without fail

I need to know if this is an error with the HDD's or if I need to purchase PCI-x raid controller to manage this setup,

thanks for the help

I have heard somewhere that the Marvel 6 gb/s ports don't support/run raid very well but I can't find exactly where I heard that from...

EDIT: Removed suggestion.

Edited by Alexandre

Wait why do you want to use the SATA III ports for spinning HDDs? You will only really need the 6gb/s for really fast SSDs and even then very few things are reaching the speed limit of SATA II these days.

I would probably suggest sticking to the SATA II ports rather than getting a separate raid card.

I bought the SATA III hdd's and thought I'd get better read/write levels using the 6Gb/s ports,

and the drives fail separately when attached to the SATA III ports, I ran the HD Tune setup on each drive individually when the array failed

I bought the SATA III hdd's and thought I'd get better read/write levels using the 6Gb/s ports,

and the drives fail separately when attached to the SATA III ports, I ran the HD Tune setup on each drive individually when the array failed

Even if the HDD says SATA III, I really doubt that it faster than SATA II speeds just due to the physical limitations of the spinning hard disks. Here is a good discussion on this issue.

I would say don't worry about the SATA III ports for these drives - only worry about them if you get a SSD

I found out its the HDD's, I bought a pci-x raid controller card and ran the same tests and they were conclusive with the on board marvell ones.

but one of the three HDD's did work (bought one for a friend and tested it out haha) and it got higher levels on its own through the SATA III ports than the SATA II