Curious about radiator fan configurations

broooooooce

Back in '05, I'd researched at tedious length everything I could find on water cooling. Back then, the prevailing wisdom was that fans shouldn't sit directly on the radiator, but should have shrouds to back the fan off enough so that there isn't a dead spot in the center. I was a bit skeptical given that the same amount of air passes through (more or less) and thus carries away the same amount of heat--but that's a pretty simplistic treatment of the situation and the guys that knew how and did enjoy doing the math back then opted for shrouds.

I've not seen anyones box on here using one? What gives?

Also, I've noticed a lot of people using fans on both sides of a radiator, a push pull configuration? Is that right? I was ALWAYS told that this was a mistake. That two fans that move at the same speed don't increase airflow at all (although it does increase power consumption) and that it could even create enough turbulence to be less efficient.

I'm not sure about the shroud thing, but the logic of 2 fans on opposite sides of a radiator still escapes me--has anyone here done any empirical testing of one configuration vs the other?

I'm not watercooling now, nor do I have any plans to in the near future--but this has been bothering me for a while now. Just curious if things had changed and if so, why?

Bruce

Im not sure what happened there. and I see your point as I cannot find anyone on the forums that is using a shroud in this thread that Nyt Ryda made. My issue with a shroud is that it takes up too much space to use the fans I want. I use a trio of Ultra Kaze 120-32mm fans that are just as large as the XSPC radiator that I am using. And there is about 1/4 of and inch between the fans and the motherboard so No shroud for me.

Im not sure how much more performance they would get out of using a fan shroud but there could be a huge difference.. ????

Maybe one of these days I need to put that too the test.