Sign in to follow this  
indydakota

Build my PC

Typically, Intel has better performance, but has a price premium along with that performance. AMD has a better price/performance ratio, but doesn't have anything that can compete with the highest of Intel processors.

YET

Go ahead, price it out. :biggrin:

I just want to get the best I can for $700. If this means I can only afford the mobo/cpu or mobo/cpu/ram right now that's absolutely fine.

My current rig hasn't failed me thus far so buying a PSU and/or 6GB Ram at a later is not a problem.

Thanks again.

Ken

Go ahead, price it out. :biggrin:

I just want to get the best I can for $700. If this means I can only afford the mobo/cpu or mobo/cpu/ram right now that's absolutely fine.

My current rig hasn't failed me thus far so buying a PSU and/or 6GB Ram at a later is not a problem.

Thanks again.

Ken

;)

I'll see what I can do.

Unless you want to wait for the Sandy Bridge/P67 silicon fix to come through in a month or so?

;)

I'll see what I can do.

Unless you want to wait for the Sandy Bridge/P67 silicon fix to come through in a month or so?

What is the benefit? Is SB/P67 a step up in performance/technology?

(off to do some research)

I have no problems waiting. By that time I'll probably have a bit more cash as well.

Edited by indydakota

What is the benefit? Is SB/P67 a step up in performance/technology?

(off to do some research)

I have no problems waiting. By that time I'll probably have a bit more cash as well.

It's got a legitimate performance gain over anything up to an i7 950, and it's newer technology. It's Intel's newest socket, which means that there's a chance for upgrades in the future. It overclocks well (K versions only), and simply, since almost all of the OC'ing is done via multiplier.

And it's well priced. $330 for an i7 2600K, $230 for an i5 2500K.

Edit: those prices are in USD. Not sure what it would be in CAD

Edited by iskout

If you can wait indy then I would suggest you do so and get a sandy bridge system. Like iskout said the unlocked multiplier or "K" CPUs like the i5 2500k and the i7 2600K are really great CPUs which run better or on par with the i7 950 and overclock really well with very little effort.

I know you said you're not planning on overclocking but if you get one of these chips it is so easy to overclock to such high clocks on a stock fan/budge aftermarket cooler, I would still recommend you do it. :thumbsup:

If you want best performance/price on the SB I would go for the 2500k CPU which will save you about $100 and will perform just as good/maybe a little worse than the 950 (due to the fact that the 2500k doesn't have hyperthreading). But if you got the money then go for the 2600k which does have hyperthreading and performs better than the 950 while costing the same amount of money.

Check out OCC's review on 2500k/2600k :)

Thanks Alexandre.

There is a fellow selling this one for $300 but I don't know how to tell if it is affected.

The product sheet says it's "Based on Intel X58/ICH10R chipset"

I don't know what that means. Is there a way to tell?

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=141-BL-E760-A1&family=Motherboard%20Family

Selling one what sorry?

The product in the link you gave me is a X58 chipset motherboard designed for first generation i7s like the 950. Whenever you see X58 think socket 1366 and i7 950.

It isn't a SB mobo if that is what you're asking. This is though. SB run on the P67 chipset so if you see P67 think socket 1155 and 2500k/2600k.

Edited by Alexandre

Ok, now it's coming together. Thanks.

I think I will let this thread trail off and sit idly by while hours turn to days. Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

Thanks again to everyone for your patience and knowledge.

Ken

Ok, now it's coming together. Thanks.

I think I will let this thread trail off and sit idly by while hours turn to days. Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

Thanks again to everyone for your patience and knowledge.

Ken

I guess we'll be seeing you in a month's time! Till then :cheers:

Edited by Alexandre

And while you're already waiting, Bulldozer becomes an option as well (AMD's new flagship socket to be)