Build my PC

I recently came into some cash and want to build a new PC. Problem is, I have no idea what is what or what is half decent.

You have $700. What do you buy?

I'll need the following:

(Keep in mind I don't have to purchase everything at once. I can add things like the A/C and PSU later)

I'm sure I could get a decent mobo/cpu/RAM for $700.

Mobo

CPU

Air cooling

PSU (able to handle two HD6870's in the future)

6 to 8GB ram (8 is preferrable cause it just sounds better, no?) :rolleyes:

I have no preference to AMD or Intel. i7, i5, (amd equiv?) just as long as it is sturdy, steady and reliable.

NewEgg, NCIX or .... BestBuy (kidding)

Primarily gaming. Oh, and I'm not an overclocker.

I've always found this board to be quick, courteous and professional. (why yes, I am buttering you up!)

Thank you,

Ken

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently came into some cash and want to build a new PC. Problem is, I have no idea what is what or what is half decent.

You have $700. What do you buy?

I'll need the following:

(Keep in mind I don't have to purchase everything at once. I can add things like the A/C and PSU later)

I'm sure I could get a decent mobo/cpu/RAM for $700.

Mobo

CPU

Air cooling

PSU (able to handle two HD6870's in the future)

6 to 8GB ram (8 is preferrable cause it just sounds better, no?) :rolleyes:

I have no preference to AMD or Intel. i7, i5, (amd equiv?) just as long as it is sturdy, steady and reliable.

NewEgg, NCIX or .... BestBuy (kidding)

Primarily gaming. Oh, and I'm not an overclocker.

I've always found this board to be quick, courteous and professional. (why yes, I am buttering you up!)

Thank you,

Ken

Hey mate :)

Thanks for the compliments we try to do out best :teehee:

How about the following:

CPU: i7 950 - $310

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X58 - $200

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 1600MHz (9-9-9-24 timing) - $70

PSU: CORSAIR 850TX 850W - $130

Total = $710

I would have recommended the 2500K but Intel has a few problems with the P67 chipset atm :(

Btw do you need to buy an OS?

You might be able to get a decent Phenom II based computer, but not an i5/i7 based one. Intel's premiums are too high for that budget, and their new set of processors has had an issue that should be resolved by the end of the month

Phenom II X4 955

Asus Crosshair IV Formula

Corsair 850w

G.Skill Ripjaws

Thermaltake Frio

Should do you nicely, with plenty of room for overclocking.

Hey mate :)

Thanks for the compliments we try to do out best :teehee:

How about the following:

CPU: i7 950 - $310

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X58 - $200

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 1600MHz (9-9-9-24 timing) - $70

PSU: CORSAIR 850TX 850W - $130

Total = $710

I would have recommended the 2500K but Intel has a few problems with the P67 chipset atm :(

Btw do you need to buy an OS?

He's from Canada, so add a bit of a premium to every item. Makes the i7 slightly out of his budget.

He's from Canada, so add a bit of a premium to every item. Makes the i7 slightly out of his budget.

Ah damn I thought newegg was Canada + USA wide at the same prices :(

EDIT: Ahh I see you need the www.newegg.ca rather than www.newegg.com - good to know!

Edited by Alexandre

Wow! That's fast, The internet never sleeps.

Yeah I heard about the recall, sounds like they'll get it turned around fast.

$700 is a self imposed cap. If the wife found out how much I was spending.... ~shudder!~ They may never find my body.

With that said, I could go higher. :whistling:

As for your question Alexandre about over clocking, I honestly had no idea. I guess I just assumed everything runs hot and must be cooled.

It's good to know I could get up and running without having to worry about that right now.

Is 8GB Ram worth it or a waste? It seems the quotes coming in are for 6.

As for the question about the OS. I'm running Windows 7 Ult 64 bit.

Thanks all, you don't know how much this helps. It at least gives me a starting point, something to research.

Wow! That's fast, The internet never sleeps.

Yeah I heard about the recall, sounds like they'll get it turned around fast.

$700 is a self imposed cap. If the wife found out how much I was spending.... ~shudder!~ They may never find my body.

With that said, I could go higher. :whistling:

As for your question Alexandre about over clocking, I honestly had no idea. I guess I just assumed everything runs hot and must be cooled.

It's good to know I could get up and running without having to worry about that right now.

Is 8GB Ram worth it or a waste? It seems the quotes coming in are for 6.

As for the question about the OS. I'm running Windows 7 Ult 64 bit.

Thanks all, you don't know how much this helps. It at least gives me a starting point, something to research.

Well if you go with the x58 chipset mobo (ie the i7 950) you will want to get a 6 gig set as opposed to the 8 gig set because you will want to run triple channel memory which requires 3 sticks minimum. 6 gig will be plenty for gaming - I've got that much RAM in my own rig and I have yet to see any game use all of my RAM.

If you go with the AMD rig you will want to go for either a 4 gig set or a 8 gig set to run dual channel memory (need a minimum of 2 sticks). I would then probably go with iskout's 8 gig suggestion since 4 gig might be a bit low for future games.

The stock heatsink/fan you get with the CPU is designed to make it run beautifully at stock CPU speed so if you don't want to overclock just save some money and stick to the stock fan :)

Btw I think the extra $50 is worth it ;)

EDIT: Yeah I'm from Australia - it's 7:00pm here so I am definitely not sleeping :lol:

Edited by Alexandre

You see? That's why I come here and post these n00b questions. I don't get flak for n00b questions and I learn something about RAM.

I'll admit, the quote for 3 sticks or ram made no sense to me and it kept me up last night.

I'm glad you explained it. You saved me money in the process and I'll sleep better.

Thanks all.

Ken

You see? That's why I come here and post these n00b questions. I don't get flak for n00b questions and I learn something about RAM.

I'll admit, the quote for 3 sticks or ram made no sense to me and it kept me up last night.

I'm glad you explained it. You saved me money in the process and I'll sleep better.

Thanks all.

Ken

Hey, for the most part we're all nice guys around here. Let us know if you decide on another price cap, as I'd definitely prefer to get you an i5/i7 over my phenom II suggestion.

Typically, Intel has better performance, but has a price premium along with that performance. AMD has a better price/performance ratio, but doesn't have anything that can compete with the highest of Intel processors.