Sign in to follow this  
pii965be

new to occ and oc'ing...

ellow ppl. just registered here the other day, seems like there are sum vry knowledgable ppl here. ive built a few rigs over the years, nothing fancy, heck, i nvr had a graphics card that had over 128mb of memory, lol. ive recently completed my first high performance gamming rig. it consists of--

AMD PhenomII965BE quad [email protected]

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO MOBO

OCZ Reaper [email protected] (2x2gb)

ATI RADEON 5770(juniper)-1gb GDDR5 @875mhz-1250mhz

Cooler Master GX650 posu.

NZXT Lexi S gamming case w/ 2in. 2ex.

Samsung syncmaster BX2331 23"led display

7.1 surround sound setup ~3kw

I use it mainly for gaming and music/movies. since im new to over clocking i was hopeing sum1 would be able to help me squeze a lil more performance out of my setup.

I allready have CPU-Z, AMD Overdrive, CCC, and just updated my bios. thx for any help/tips ya'll can offer!!!

ellow ppl. just registered here the other day, seems like there are sum vry knowledgable ppl here. ive built a few rigs over the years, nothing fancy, heck, i nvr had a graphics card that had over 128mb of memory, lol. ive recently completed my first high performance gamming rig. it consists of--

AMD PhenomII965BE quad [email protected]

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO MOBO

OCZ Reaper [email protected] (2x2gb)

ATI RADEON 5770(juniper)-1gb GDDR5 @875mhz-1250mhz

Cooler Master GX650 posu.

NZXT Lexi S gamming case w/ 2in. 2ex.

Samsung syncmaster BX2331 23"led display

7.1 surround sound setup ~3kw

I use it mainly for gaming and music/movies. since im new to over clocking i was hopeing sum1 would be able to help me squeze a lil more performance out of my setup.

I allready have CPU-Z, AMD Overdrive, CCC, and just updated my bios. thx for any help/tips ya'll can offer!!!

Welcome to OCC mate! :thumbsup:

While I have never oc'ed a Phenom II I found this overclocking guide on the net which could be of use to you.

There are plenty of people here with their own experience in OCing your chip however so they may know some other tips that may help you out.

Hope that's of help :)

Welcome to OCC mate! :thumbsup:

While I have never oc'ed a Phenom II I found this overclocking guide on the net which could be of use to you.

There are plenty of people here with their own experience in OCing your chip however so they may know some other tips that may help you out.

Hope that's of help :)

thx alexandre. i found that guide very informative but, i think it would be best if i read sum other guides and got sum help from ppl that have oc'd a cpu identicle to my 965be. i know that talking to ppl that simpley have the same cpu wont meen that i'll get the exact results they did(because of variables, mobo, ram, posu, gpu). but i would like to get help so i can find what clocks/speeds would give me the best performance while putting the least amount of stress on my system. basicly, i dont want to heavily oc my system, but tweak things so that all my componants will work as good as they can together. that make any sense or is this just..... noob jibberish??? i hope every1 understands wat im tryin to say, im not sure the the best way to say it :( first hand help and guides much appriciated!!!!!

thx alexandre. i found that guide very informative but, i think it would be best if i read sum other guides and got sum help from ppl that have oc'd a cpu identicle to my 965be. i know that talking to ppl that simpley have the same cpu wont meen that i'll get the exact results they did(because of variables, mobo, ram, posu, gpu). but i would like to get help so i can find what clocks/speeds would give me the best performance while putting the least amount of stress on my system. basicly, i dont want to heavily oc my system, but tweak things so that all my componants will work as good as they can together. that make any sense or is this just..... noob jibberish??? i hope every1 understands wat im tryin to say, im not sure the the best way to say it :( first hand help and guides much appriciated!!!!!

What you are saying is slightly confusing to me. So let me start from ground up.

Overclocking - What are you doing?

When you overclock your system you are essentially increasing the clock speed or frequency of your CPU/GPU/RAM whatever it may be that you are overclocking. This in turn increases your performance due to the fact that your system can now complete tasks in a shorter amount of time. While you will get a boost in performance the downside is that you essentially void any manufacturer warranty you may have on the component being overclocked because you are making it run at a speed outside of the manufacturer's specifications.

Now you said you do want to stress your system - if that is so then the best thing you can do is set (or leave) everything on their stock values because the components are designed to be run at those values safely.

This is why I am confused at your reply because it seems like you are asking "Can you help me overclock this?" while at the same time saying, "I don't want you to help me overclock it because it will stress my system". You can't have it both ways.

I'm glad you found the guide I suggested informative, I found it informative too. I am also glad that you are wise enough to listen to other peoples' experiences on these chips in order to help you learn more about overclocking - that is great.

However, you will never find someone who has a CPU identical to yours as you yourself have pointed out. You have a unique CPU which runs on a unique system so it is up to you to find out how far it can go on you system.

Overclocking Guides - Why are they not specific to my CPU?

I don't know if you have wondered why there isn't a specific guide for a 965BE chip or any other chip like the Intel i7 930. The reason has to do with the way CPUs are made.

A Phenom II x4 965 BE is basically the same chip as a 955 BE or 970BE. The difference between these chips is their silicon quality. The 955 is a lower quality chip compared to a 965 and a 970. Likewise the 965 is a lower quality chip compared to a 970.

Lower quality chips produce more heat when running at the same clock speed so, under certain conditions (ie using the stock fan given to the end user), the chips which run at a slower speed at a chosen manufacturer's safe temperature, would be labeled as the 955, the chip that runs at a slightly faster speed (within a certain error range), at the same temperature, would be labeled the 965 and so on.

The important thing to note is, like I have previously stated, that all these chips have the same architecture and the same design - they just have different grades of quality. This is why there really is only a need to write one overclocking guide for ALL the Phenom II x4 chips - because the method should work for them all. Now while this is true, you're still right about the fact that each chip is of different quality and is under difference circumstances, and this will, in turn, affect their individual overclocking performance. This is why even a person with the same chip can't really help you as specifically as you may like because you may find that their optimal settings are completely different to your optimal settings - they could be higher or lower depending on the system.

The performance of your system, the limit of you hardware, the optimal settings for your CPU - these can only be discovered by one person - YOU! - and they are found by testing and trying to overclock for yourself.

Yes we can, and are quite happy to give you pointers, which is what I believe the guide that I gave you is great for, but they will only be that - pointers. You have to take the plunge and do the dirty work for yourself if you wish to discover the potential of your hardware and who knows, you might just find that you love doing it! Then you will truly understand why OCC exists.

Sorry for the wall of text. If I have, in any way, misunderstood you or if something which I have said doesn't quite make sense, then please let me know and I will try to clear it up.

Thank you for your patience in reading this and I hope you found it beneficial (and not just a complete waste of your time :P)

EDIT: Spelling and grammar

Edited by Alexandre

thx 4 ur time, other forums left me hangin on a response similar to my last response. i guess wat im tryin to say is, i DO want to overclock my system but, i DONT want to achive crazy numbers. id like to get each component to work as well as possible with the other components in my system. is there any way to achive this or, is the answer simply: overclock my system.?? I hope im not buggn ya, or askin dumb questions. i just want to get the most out of my system.

thx 4 ur time, other forums left me hangin on a response similar to my last response. i guess wat im tryin to say is, i DO want to overclock my system but, i DONT want to achive crazy numbers. id like to get each component to work as well as possible with the other components in my system. is there any way to achive this or, is the answer simply: overclock my system.?? I hope im not buggn ya, or askin dumb questions. i just want to get the most out of my system.

You're not bugging me nor asking dumb question mate so don't worry about that :)

So basically you are asking for help to do a mild overclock? Like up to 3.8GHz?

If you want to get the most out of your system then the only way to do that is to overclock it to it's limit and go slightly below that wall so that you system achieves stability. A stable system has all its hardware components working well together and if it stable (and not too hot) at an overclocked state, just below its limit, then you will get the most out of your system with all your components working as well as possible.

A lower overclock will allow you to get more out of your system then at stock settings but it won't get you the most out of your system - for that you will need crazy numbers :)

Since I have never really overclocked the Phenom II chip excessively I can't really give you guidelines as to how you can go about doing it. Hopefully that guide I gave and other people on this forum will be able to help you out with that.

Btw it might be better to ask for overclocking help in the Overclocking and Cooling section of this forum - you'll get more hits and better help there.

Edited by Alexandre

I actually have this exact CPU in my system currently overclocked to 3.8GHz, but I have a low grade external water cooling setup. I will tell you that with my chip, in AMDOverdrive I was getting very close to the max temp during stress testing with the stock cooler at the stock CPU clock so I left it at stock numbers until I was able to get a better cooling setup.

Now what Alexandre was saying is EXACTLY right, I've seen 965BE's that don't come within 10 degrees celsius of the max temp during an AMDOverdrive stress test completely stock. It all comes down your specific build and the quality of your chip. It's a lot of trial and error. Overclocking is not something that you can just do through following every little step in even the most well written guides.

I learned this the hard way after burning up a brand new Phenom II 925 trying to achieve the same numbers that a noob guide told me I could achieve haha. <-- My very first overclocking adventure. Just take everything in a guide with a grain of salt.

I've only ever overclocked AMD chips (mostly Phenom II's), so if I can be of any assistance let me know.

-AMDNemo