So my motherboard caught on fire...

Playing some BC2 Vietnam. BC2 had been getting crashy lately (no idea if that was just BC2 or my computer breaking). BAM, computer shuts off, and I smell burning silicon! I figure it's my video card, as I was running a game, so I take it out (after disconnect all but one of my HDDs [forgot about it]) and try to start my computer again. A little bit of smoke, but I missed the error code on my mobo (it flashed for like half of a second before my computer cut power again). This time I grab my camera and put it in video mode so I can review the error code... and the mobo catches on fire, right by the 8pin power connector. It's out in under a second, but I still inhaled dangerous fumes and all that.

No idea if my dying motherboard took out my graphics card, RAM, HDDs, CPU, etc. I'm going to guess that the best case scenario is only the mobo is dead, second best is mobo and CPU, third is mobo + CPU + RAM, fourth adds the graphics card, fifth is everything.

How likely is it that it took out more than just itself? It's a DFI x58-t3eh8. Also I just realized that it probably burnt the 8-pin connector, which means I probably need a new PSU because the 24- and 8-pin connectors are the only two that aren't modular.

If anything more than the motherboard is gone I think I might just get a top-o-the-line MBP, which is a terrible thing to do now because the Sandy Bridge ones will probably be out in like 3 months. I need a computer in the mean time, though.

Any suggestions, guys? I'm thinking I'll try replacing it with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 or -UD3R.

something similar happened to me. It wasnt the 8 pin, it was a capacitor near it. It fried and took my cpu with it. RMA'd it and a week after getting it put together with a new cpu, the system dies again. Faulty mobo. New mobo from a different manufacturer and 2 months later its still going strong. My board wasnt a DFI, but I know how bad it sucks. Especially if you dont have enough spare parts to test components before having to order stuff.

Don't think I can RMA it. I bought it like 2 years ago... I doubt Newegg nor DFI's warranty is that long.

Cost you nothing to give it a shot. Wordst case they say no, but you never know. the whole catching fire thing cant be good for their reputation so they might sort it out for you.

How likely is it that it took out more than just itself? It's a DFI x58-t3eh8. Also I just realized that it probably burnt the 8-pin connector, which means I probably need a new PSU because the 24- and 8-pin connectors are the only two that aren't modular.

The connectors are available from places like Mouser Electronics if you fancy a little DIY, the 8-pin EPS12V connector here and the pins here. ;)