Crazy Winter Ice Storm About to Cover the Midwest

Speedway

In the midwest United States, we are supposed to be hit with a very bad ice storm tonight. They are predicting at least 2+ inches of ice, which will cover everything. Possibly putting too much weight on the power lines, which in turn could bring them down, causing major power outages. Most likely, if we get the weather they are predicting everything will shut down: schools, business, everything! Now, I don't really mind if I am trapped in my home for a few days, as long as I have power! But, won't know until later this evening how this storm will affect my area, but I know many other OCC members are probably going to be affected by this winter ice storm as well.

I know I just went to the grocery store to stock up on the necessities, just in case and it was madness! Everyone else was doing the same thing, and my local grocery store had turned into a crazy scene. I'm sure there might have been some fire marshall codes broken with the number of people in the store, you could barely even more around. But, I managed to make it out unharmed, with milk and bread in hand ;) Anyone else going to have to deal with this ice storm? Anyone else worried about losing power and heat?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too worried, even though it looks like I'm gonna get hit pretty hard too. All I have to remember to do is to clear the snow off my roof with a roof rake before it all hits so it doesn't collapse the valley between the 2 halves of my house.

I just got home this morning from snowboarding for a week in Colorado. Picked the best week apparently to stay. 50-60 degree temps in Denver and 20-30 in the mountains. Looks like we left just in time. I checked the weather the other day for our plane and it was saying a high of 3 and a low of -10 with wind chills in the -20's. I'm glad I missed that one!

Edited by t0asty

eh' we'll see....

I missed the last ice storm to hit Northern Indiana 6 years ago...I was in York Nebraska when it hit here as I followed the storm up on my way and turned around to head back to Texas (picked up a kid) and the Storm was actually behind me. It rained as I was heading towards Nebraska then froze..I was in the rain but by the time I was turning around it had frozen. I was en-route to Kansas City, Kansas as the storm was hit Indiana.

Longest trip of my life...over 18 hours from York Nebraska to Southern Oklahoma that was only a 6 hour drive...lotsa ice

I live in central oklahoma. we are suppose to get a Whammy tonight @ about 9 then turn around and get the double whammy overnight.

At the dealership we are going to be moving cars into buildings and shuffleing them around so we can still have them showable but at least inside so they cannot get damaged. that way we will also be able to plow our lots first thing in the morning.

Anyone else going to have to deal with this ice storm?

I hope not, I'm right on the border between the ICE (1+ inches) and Snow (12-20 inches) so they say.

Only snow so far, but I'm getting a little freezing rain right now, not suppose to get bad until tomorrow.

15 years ago in Maine we went through a heck of an ice storm, lost the power for 3 weeks, I'll take snow any day.