wowdoggy954

Game load times on SSD

I wiped my two Zalman SSD's again this weekend and set them up as two logical RAID0 drives, 32GB for Win7 and the rest for games.

Then I loaded them up with my games. Then I took videos of all my games loading up (and my computer booting up).

Then I wiped the Zalman's again and left them both as single AHCI (one with a 32GB for Win7). The other is nothing but games installs.

Then I took videos of games and Win7 loading again and compared them on the same screen and guess what? The load times are almost exactly the same. I mean close - like within 0.25 of a second.

Except for my boot times. A single SSD still beats out the RAID0 by 15 seconds.

Every time that little green bar goes across is 2 seconds and the single disk boot makes 3 passes while the RAID0 makes 10.5 passes. The 4K CDM 3.0 results are very close to the same ~ 22 MB/s.

I am looking to other people that have a SSD single AHCI or RAID0 setup on a motherboard with the AMD SB750 controller. GA-MA790FXT-UD5P but any with the AMD SB750 should do.

Crysis WARHEAD first level "Call Me Ishmael" - 39 seconds from 0% to 'Press any Key' - same results 1 or 2 SSD's. How long does it take to load on your rig?

What are your boot times? Basically I am trying to find out if this is a limitation of the controller chip or a malfunctioning chip. I don't really want to drop $200 on a new board just yet.

I have an OCZ Agility 2 SSD in my work laptop, and even with it being a Latitude d630 it takes a maximum of 25 seconds to boot from powering on to login screen. Keep in mind this is in a domain environment though, so it would probably be faster if it didn't have to phone home as part of the boot process.

The OCZ drive has a Sandforce controller though, so not sure if that will point you in any direction haha

The 4K CDM 3.0 results are very close to the same ~ 22 MB/s.

Something seems wrong with that - IIRC they should be roughly double for the RAID 0 array regardless of your stripe size (as long as it's over 4 KB).

Something seems wrong with that - IIRC they should be roughly double for the RAID 0 array regardless of your stripe size (as long as it's over 4 KB).

Yep, I'm betting I've got a suspect mobo. I am given only two choices for stripe size, 64k and 128k and my boot time for a single SSD is 35 s. and for RAID is 50 s. no matter the stripe (most unacceptable - a single HDD boots faster than that).

I've seen some youtube vids where boot takes less than 15 s. for SSD's in RAID0. RAID0 (given that it's supposed to be a performance mode) should at least be able to match the speed of a single SSD. The benchmarks show a higher

seq speed (310 vs. 210) but show virtually the same 4K speeds. Bottleneck? Don't know. I need some people to throw me some numbers.

I have an OCZ Agility 2 SSD in my work laptop, and even with it being a Latitude d630 it takes a maximum of 25 seconds to boot from powering on to login screen. Keep in mind this is in a domain environment though, so it would probably be faster if it didn't have to phone home as part of the boot process.

The OCZ drive has a Sandforce controller though, so not sure if that will point you in any direction haha

That's awesome. 25 seconds. The Zalman 128's have the Sandforce controller as well. 50 seconds in RAID0 - not so awesome.