Billwaa

Laptop died half way through college, need help on 1st build!

right now the intel build plus i5 2500K is far more worth your money. Laptop harddrives are not that slow, and even has faster (i.e. lower) latency and shoud work just fine. The problem is that you need a dedicated GPU if you want to be able to overclock (chipset limitations (P67 chipset supports overclocking, but not the internal GPU in the CPU, H67 supports the internal GPU but not overclocking).

And it is not true that usb keyboard/mouse don't work initially, they do! And networking works fine after you install the motherboards driver disk included in the box.

You will not regret going for the slightly more costly build, but swap the GPU (or get an old one from a friend) and buy a real one later.

well, this is disappointing, just as I was about to get the sandy bridge cpu and motherboard, they were deactivated in newegg. It is the chip problem right? So I guess I need to wait a month or 2?

well, this is disappointing, just as I was about to get the sandy bridge cpu and motherboard, they were deactivated in newegg. It is the chip problem right? So I guess I need to wait a month or 2?

Yeah you probably will have to wait until the end of February for you computer now :pfp: