Dual Channel goof ups

So my friend's computer (Asus P5W DH Deluxe) has started to get BSODs, and freezes in memtests.

Now I removed two of the sticks and it works fine....in single channel but I put them in either of the dual channel combinations and no go.

So what would cause that?? I'm thinking motherboard, I was able to install a fresh copy of windows onto his machine perfectly fine now and no BSODs and memtest runs perfect.

What do ya'll think is the problem?? Believe it or not this is my old setup (my old Conroe E6600 system) and I believe this had happened before but Idk what I did to fix it.

Thanks guys, worst case he'll upgrade to a Socket 1155 system :woot:

So my friend's computer (Asus P5W DH Deluxe) has started to get BSODs, and freezes in memtests.

Now I removed two of the sticks and it works fine....in single channel but I put them in either of the dual channel combinations and no go.

So what would cause that?? I'm thinking motherboard, I was able to install a fresh copy of windows onto his machine perfectly fine now and no BSODs and memtest runs perfect.

What do ya'll think is the problem?? Believe it or not this is my old setup (my old Conroe E6600 system) and I believe this had happened before but Idk what I did to fix it.

What type of RAM does your mate have?

I would take the worst case... :biggrin:

Have you tried running the other two sticks in single channel just to make sure it isn't the RAM itself that is at fault?

yeah and same result, two in single channel run fine, any in dual does not

Or try running 2 sticks in dual channel to see if it BSODs

read above :P

Now I also noticed that his sticks were running 667mhz, so I manually set them to their stock speeds and now no combinations work (aka memtest spouts out errors or outright freezes)

I thought the extra voltage (2.1v, it's stock over the assured 1.8v auto) would work but maybe they can't run their old settings anymore. I'll try 667mhz at 2.1v and see if that'll do

I smell a 1155 on the way though :P

I'll have to try my memory in his machine and see what gives... I want him to get a new PSU since his is a no name 550W also, and I was kicking around the idea that the reason the ram wont work at all with my manual settings could possibly be power.

Auto might undervolt them but since they're underspeed, it'd be stable.

His machine is pretty old (I would know, it was all mine, with exception of the harddrive and PSU) and that PSU probably couldn't even have put out 550W in it's prime

The machine is:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe Socket 775, Chipset 975X

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz

4x1GB 800mhz 5-5-5-15 Corsair Dominator

BFG 9800GTX

Some kind of WD 1TB (not sure if black or blue)

Plextor DVD Burner

Generic 550W PSU

Stock Cooler

I mean this problem might not be the PSU but it's just a problem waiting to happen, most likely it's probably his motherboard or memory so I'll have him get a new PSU and whichever of the "M's" are broken.

If it's motherboard, than it'd be cheap but if it's the RAM I might just have him swap up to an Athlon II quad system since he is dead set on 8GB of memory and DDR3 is cheaper and he'd probably come close to breaking even

Could be improper settings, that northbridge might want some more voltage/etc. make sure that when running in dual channel that the settings aren't too tight - 2T command rate for starts to see. If mem works stable and all in single and use to in dual its most likely nb (mem controller for lga775)

Could be improper settings, that northbridge might want some more voltage/etc. make sure that when running in dual channel that the settings aren't too tight - 2T command rate for starts to see. If mem works stable and all in single and use to in dual its most likely nb (mem controller for lga775)

Ya I did raise voltage for that AND the southbridge and it didn't help. Only auto and single channel works