Sata 3.0 slave falure

sully990

Hi guys i was asked by a friend to recover some of his files from his labtop because he smashed his screen :) so i took the hhd out of his labtop thinking i will install it as a slave on my desktop ,,,but when i install it it does not show up on the bios

i have cheaked my manual and my mo fullly supports 3.0 drives

my mo is a asus p5q dulexe

my master hhd is on ide cable and i would like the slave on sata

the slave drive im using is :

hitachi 5k320

sata

3.0g/s

250gb

oh and there is no jumper pins on the sata drive it isnt broken it just comes with no pins for some reason .....?

Also here is the main site with full spec

( http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/C51A283F52498251862573FA005A3C98/$file/Travelstar_5K320_DS.pdf )

can any1 help ?? even any suggestions !! i can work this one out ,,,

Edited by sully990

If you're plugging the drive into the SATA port, then there's no such thing as master/slave. Thats only applicable to regular ATA, so there wont be any jumpers or pins on the back of the SATA drive, only a place to put the SATA cable and the power connector.

As for your problem, I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Make sure everything is plugged in properly and securely, including the power cable. Also try a different cable, or plugging it into a different SATA port.

Or if all else fails, have him give you his whole laptop and use your desktop monitor instead of the laptop screen, boot and transfer all his files to your computer over the network.