The Best Cooler

CheGuevara

I have a zalman CNPS7000A-CU, I don't know about its perfomance yet, but all I can say is that thing is heavy!! It's weight is close to 1KG [773grams more exactly.] Also, before purchasing the CNPS7000A-CU make sure that your board will fit the HSF, because of its size, there are some mobo restrictions, you can find more info at the zalman website:

http://www.zalmanusa.com/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the weight is more about the cpu than the mobo, you want to be sure you dont chip/crack the core like i did :( on my 2200+

One way to prevent this is a copper shim, which i strongly suggest if your going to be takin your case to lan parties, etc. Although it will make your temps go up a lil, as much as 6C but prolly not that much

here is a pic of my chipped core, you can see the missing pieces around the edges:

Regarding the weight I am worried too, which is why I haven't installed it yet. It's just sitting there next to the tower. As soon as I receive my RAM, sometime this week, I'll complete the system and add the HSF, then I'll know anything about performance.

I had read a review that said that Zalman had issued a warning regarding the weight, but it was only a review, I have not been able to find anybody who had trouble with it.

Did anyone notice that the person that started this thread and asked the question....never came back?

Very true....

Does it mean that the person got his/her answer and didn't bother to respond? <_<

OR

Does it mean that he's still monitoring the thread, but doesn't want to respond?

Me too! I don't go to a lot of LAN parties, but I do plan to go to QuakeCon this year. I'll probably remove the HSF from the CPU for the trip, just in case.

When I went to QuakeCon '03, there was some guy there who was asking for help with a dead mobo. They announced from the NOC that someone needed help, and me being one of the few true PC techs there, offered to help. This guy literally threw the PC together, worked his job, drove close to 16 hours straight to get to QC, his car boke down on the way, he hadn't slept in like 24 hours, stood 3 hours in line, and when he finally gets into the BYOC, his PC won't boot. The thing wouldn't even POST. We swapped CPU, RAM, vid, sound, etc. We had ALL spare parts there except for the mobo.

Poor guy - all that trouble for a dead PC.

Well, I received my Zalman cooler yeseterday, along with a tube of AS Ceramique. They weren't kidding - that thing is heavy! I'm sure it will be fine, and if I ever do need to move my case I'll just remove the HSF.

To compare, I ran Wolfenstein last night along with AIM, IRC, playing a music CD with WMP, and email (Outlook 2000). After gaming for 30 minutes, my CPU temp was 114F and my mobo temp was 89F. This was with my Dragon Orb 4 on low (approx 3000 RPM).

Once I get my Zalman installed, I'll post the temps with the same load scenario. That way the person who posted here can decide if the Zalman is one they might want to consider.