John_Grimm

My 1st real build, i need advice

Tnks for your advise m8s. :thumbsup:

I really would have loved to go with the Asus Crosshair IV (What a lovely MoBo), but with all the uncertainty of whether Bulldozer will be available or fully functional on AM3 changed my mind (I can't afford it yet to replace a high-end MoBo in 6-8 months, the females in my family will kill me). DAMN YOU AMD where is the INFO!!! :cry:

Ok final configuration looks something like this:

Case: CM HAF 912 Plus

Fan: CM 120mm EXCALIBUR 600/2000RPM PWM (Thiese are extras so i fill)

PSU: CM RS-750-ACAA-E3: GX 750W OR Corsair HX 750 W Modular OR Corsair TX 750 W (Haven't decided on this yet, i want to see how far my cash will get me before i choose)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow OR the CM V8

CPU: Core i5 2500K

MoBo:ASRock P67 Extreme4

RAM: 2x Kingston DIMM DDR3 2 GB 1600 MHz

GPU: Sapphire AMD HD6850 1 GB TOXIC

HDD: WD 1TB Black 64MB SATA III

@ a cost of aprox. $1'385

And I've chosen this ACER 24 LCD WIDE V243HL LED screen @ $265.

So what do you guys think is this build? Worth the $1'650 investment?

Love it mate! :thumbsup: apart from 4 gig of RAM :( I would look for a good 2x4 gb kit. 4 gb will be sufficient but I don't know it that will stay true in the future...actually don't worry about it just buy the same or similar kit later on if you need the extra ram.

Also.....Have you got an operating system?

too bad that it is beeing so expensive though... Great build over all!!! (though how much more is a 6950 and 8GB ram instead?, might be worth it :evilgrin: )

@Alex I'm planing o adding another pair of 2GB Kingston's later on. I got XP Professional SP3 and a Widows 7 OS, I got Vista too but that came with one of my laptops when i bought it. But tbh I'm planing on migrating to Linux, I'm eying the Fedora 14 distribution atm, dual boot with Windows 7, i'm still thinking about it. :)

@medbor Unfortunately the 6950 is +$150 more than the 6850 and that is more that i wish to spend on a GPU. Also the 4GB modules available to me are a 1333MHZ no name brand, so i rather go with the Kingston.

@Alex I'm planing o adding another pair of 2GB Kingston's later on. I got XP Professional SP3 and a Widows 7 OS, I got Vista too but that came with one of my laptops when i bought it. But tbh I'm planing on migrating to Linux, I'm eying the Fedora 14 distribution atm, dual boot with Windows 7, i'm still thinking about it. :)

@medbor Unfortunately the 6950 is +$150 more than the 6850 and that is more that i wish to spend on a GPU. Also the 4GB modules available to me are a 1333MHZ no name brand, so i rather go with the Kingston.

Cool mate! :thumbsup:

Be sure to post up pics of your new beast when it's ready :popcorn:

Too bad you have so limited selection, and prices. But your computer will be awesome and with great room to improve!

Too bad you have so limited selection, and prices. But your computer will be awesome and with great room to improve!

Lol he's lucky still....we dont even have the k versions of the Sandy Bridge CPUs selling here in South Australia yet... :angry:

Can the 955 be overclocked to 4.5GHZ on air, without killing the processor in 6 months or less?

There also is a V8 HS it's only $6 more expensive than the V6, and the Silver Arrow costs like $15 more than the V8. I may go with the Silver Arrow couse it cools better or so i've read on some reviews.

Any1 here know if there is a website that sells better 1155 MoBo's and delivers Worldwide, i couldn't find one. :(

IMHO the V series are over priced and average performing. If you case can fit it get the D14 or silver arrow.

to op:

note that if u have a x32 bit os it won't be using 4GB, but only like 3GB max (2.5 rather). Ff u get x64, ur good.

Actually it's more like 3.7GB's on a 32bit OS

IMHO the V series are over priced and average performing. If you case can fit it get the D14 or silver arrow.

I'm pretty impressed with my V8 so far, granted I only paid $38 us for it on Black Friday, but the highest I've seen my temps hit with it is 54.c during 3DMark06 with my Phenom 965 @ 4.1GHz, I've actually seen 28.c idle temps on nights my parents are being stingy with the heat XD

If you can find a sale on one grab it

Hi guys and gals,

My 1st post here, greetings to all and prosperous new year.

I'm planing on building my 1st computer that actually has some horse power in it and looks nice to boot.

Unfortunately(hardware wise) i live in Bulgaria and computer components are not what i would call up to date and if they are expect a +30% markup on what ever you find in NewEgg. IDK if this is normal for Europe, as i have been a resident of Africa for the last decade and prices there where even more horrible. :(

But on to the build(i'm in the planing stage here, as i may spend $1'000 or $1'500 on the build, not sure yet.)

I use thees sites http://www.multirama.bg , http://www.mostbg.com/most/PriceList.aspx (no Tax here, so +20% and it's price2 column) and http://www.jarcomputers.com/l_en/?m=0 to look for the parts.

I have two build in mind both use the same case/PSU/CPU Cooler/GPU/HDD.

Case: CM HAF 912 Adv. + 2more CM 120mm EXCALIBUR 600/2000RPM PWM

PSU: 900W FORTRON

CPU cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow 2x140(BIG, but effective) or the COOLERMASTER V6 GT(love how this Cooler looks)

GPU: Sapphire AMD HD6850 1 GB \a second to be installed later for more umf...

HDD: WD 1TB Black 64MB SATA III

1st Build:

CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T BE OR Phenom II X4 970 Quad Core BE

MoBo: Asus CROSSHAIR IV Formula

RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Kingston HyperX

The above was too be my build, because i fell in love with the CROSSHAIR IV when i sou it in the local store, all i needed to decide was on the processor. But our local stores finally brought in the SandyBridge Processors. Namely i5 2500K for $295, but alas the best MoBo available here is the Gigabyte P67A-UD3.

2nd Build:

CPU: Core i5 2500K Quad Core (3.3GHz (Turbo Boost), 6MB L3, 850MHz GPU, LGA1155)

MoBo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3

RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Kingston HyperX

I dislike the MoBo as Crosfire will make the e-PCI x16 work at x8 if am not mistaken.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: fixed a link

I would definitively go with the 2nd build but i don't know how much is your motherboard but i have a 2nd generation core, the i7 2600k and i would suggest to you the ASUS P8P67. This motherboard is really good fitted for those new intel processors

@Alex I'm getting the components atm, the last of them should be here Saturday, i'll build it then and post pics. :D For a couple of days i though my luck had run out. The site that was selling the K CPU units had only 5 and they all had been presold. I was like :snap::angry: . But then the shop located right next to my work stocked on a few and i reserved one. :woot:

@sack_patrol My Win7 is 64bit and i'll download one of the 64 Linux distributions. But i'm starting to think of keeping my 32bit WinXP on a partition just in case.

@dihartnell I'm definitely getting the Silver Arrow. To begin, i'll run it in a single FAN push/pull configuration. Fan in the middle of the 2 radiators. I'll see how thinks progress from there and may add the second fan later on or buy a 3th one for more umf.

@DexRain When it looked like i may not get the i5, i was considering getting the Crosshair IV, but the AM3 socket has no future as Bulldozer will be new architecture and AM3+ or a new type of socket.

So my final build looks like this, barring any1 else calling and telling me they are out of stock:

GIGABYTE P67A-UD4

Core i5 2500K

DDR3 KIT 2X2GB 1600MHz KINGSTON HyperX Blue

AMD HD6850, 1GB, Sapphire TOXIC

WD 1TB Black 64MB SATA III

Cooler Master HAF-912 Plus

CM RS-750-ACAA-E3: GX 750W

Thermalright Silver Arrow

FAN CoolerMaster 200mm MegaFlow 200 Red LED Silent

FAN CoolerMaster 120mm SILENT LED RED

I want to ask as well which of the below monitors would you consider the best for gaming:

ASUS 24" VW246H

ACER 24" V243HLbmd

HP 24" LA2405wg

LG 24" W2453TQ-PF

Philips 24" 240S1SB

SAMSUNG 24" P2450H

I'm eying the ASUS 24" VW246H, i like what i read about it on the net, but can you guys give me your opinions? :)

I would definitively go with the 2nd build but i don't know how much is your motherboard but i have a 2nd generation core, the i7 2600k and i would suggest to you the ASUS P8P67. This motherboard is really good fitted for those new intel processors

Unfortunately only the ASUS P8P67 LE is available here and i liked the GB board more. The ASUS pro looks good too but i can't get it.