My 1st real build, i need advice

John_Grimm

Hi guys and gals,

My 1st post here, greetings to all and prosperous new year.

I'm planing on building my 1st computer that actually has some horse power in it and looks nice to boot.

Unfortunately(hardware wise) i live in Bulgaria and computer components are not what i would call up to date and if they are expect a +30% markup on what ever you find in NewEgg. IDK if this is normal for Europe, as i have been a resident of Africa for the last decade and prices there where even more horrible. :(

But on to the build(i'm in the planing stage here, as i may spend $1'000 or $1'500 on the build, not sure yet.)

I use thees sites http://www.multirama.bg , http://www.mostbg.com/most/PriceList.aspx (no Tax here, so +20% and it's price2 column) and http://www.jarcomputers.com/l_en/?m=0 to look for the parts.

I have two build in mind both use the same case/PSU/CPU Cooler/GPU/HDD.

Case: CM HAF 912 Adv. + 2more CM 120mm EXCALIBUR 600/2000RPM PWM

PSU: 900W FORTRON

CPU cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow 2x140(BIG, but effective) or the COOLERMASTER V6 GT(love how this Cooler looks)

GPU: Sapphire AMD HD6850 1 GB \a second to be installed later for more umf...

HDD: WD 1TB Black 64MB SATA III

1st Build:

CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T BE OR Phenom II X4 970 Quad Core BE

MoBo: Asus CROSSHAIR IV Formula

RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Kingston HyperX

The above was too be my build, because i fell in love with the CROSSHAIR IV when i sou it in the local store, all i needed to decide was on the processor. But our local stores finally brought in the SandyBridge Processors. Namely i5 2500K for $295, but alas the best MoBo available here is the Gigabyte P67A-UD3.

2nd Build:

CPU: Core i5 2500K Quad Core (3.3GHz (Turbo Boost), 6MB L3, 850MHz GPU, LGA1155)

MoBo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3

RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Kingston HyperX

I dislike the MoBo as Crosfire will make the e-PCI x16 work at x8 if am not mistaken.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: fixed a link

Edited by John_Grimm

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going with an AMD quad instead of the six core go with the 955 or 965, they overclock just as well as the 970 and save you some cash.

The Thermalright Silver Arrow looks a bit like a Noctua D14 missing one fan o.o and wow is it expensive, if you can find a Coolermaster V8, over the V6 GT, that's what I'm using right now, great choice with the Crosshair IV

If you're going with an AMD quad instead of the six core go with the 955 or 965, they overclock just as well as the 970 and save you some cash.

The Thermalright Silver Arrow looks a bit like a Noctua D14 missing one fan o.o and wow is it expensive, if you can find a Coolermaster V8, over the V6 GT, that's what I'm using right now, great choice with the Crosshair IV

Same goes for the x6 AMD cpu if you go for it. Get the 1055T rather than the 1090T as the 1055T overclocks just as much as the 1090T so you can save some money there (or so I've heard...someone correct me here if I am wrong) :)

The 2500k is the best CPU for its price out of the lot but you're right about the motherboard - only one X16 lane and the other runs at X4...if you could just find a better mobo I would jump on the 2500k in a flash

Can the 955 be overclocked to 4.5GHZ on air, without killing the processor in 6 months or less?

There also is a V8 HS it's only $6 more expensive than the V6, and the Silver Arrow costs like $15 more than the V8. I may go with the Silver Arrow couse it cools better or so i've read on some reviews.

Any1 here know if there is a website that sells better 1155 MoBo's and delivers Worldwide, i couldn't find one. :(

Same goes for the x6 AMD cpu if you go for it. Get the 1055T rather than the 1090T as the 1055T overclocks just as much as the 1090T so you can save some money there (or so I've heard...someone correct me here if I am wrong) :)

The 2500k is the best CPU for its price out of the lot but you're right about the motherboard - only one X16 lane and the other runs at X4...if you could just find a better mobo I would jump on the 2500k in a flash

I too want to go with the 2500k, but alas the MoBo is a deal-breaker. :(

I too want to go with the 2500k, but alas the MoBo is a deal-breaker. :(

Just letting you know: If you find a p67 chipset motherboard which will have the PCI express slots go to x8 + x8 in dual card configuration I would go for it because there is little performance difference between x16 + x16 and x8 + x8 (unless you have crazy resolutions over 3 screens then there might be losses). Here's more info.

Edited by Alexandre

Found three p67 boards that has x8 + x8 support in ATI/SLI setup:

1) Gigabyte P67A-UD4. Newegg link (for pictures and other features like customer reviews). It's worth 356.08 lv which is about $250 USD.

2) Gigabyte P67A-UD5. Newegg link. It's going for 512.15 lv which is about $354 USD

3) ASRock P67 Extreme4. Newegg link. It's going for 282.95 lv which is about $195 USD

I cant really tell which ones are in stock on that site (different language) but it's worth checking it out :)

Uraaaaaaaaaa... :woo::woot::woo:

One of the local shops just announced that they got Gigabyte P67A-UD4. :)

So the dilemma now - which combo i should go for?

Gigabyte P67A-UD4 \ i5 2500k = $535

OR

Asus CROSSHAIR IV Formula \ Phenom X4 955BE = $480

My dilemma is that the Asus board is incredible and is only $50 more than the average that is P67A-UD4, i can live with the Phenom X4 955BE until Bulldozer comes along, but will my awesome AM3 board support the new AMD chips? I found a lot of conflicting data with Google on the Bulldozer / AM3 compatibility.

I want an AMD machine, but i want performance for my hard earned cash more.

Any1 here have any pearls of wisdom?

Found three p67 boards that has x8 + x8 support in ATI/SLI setup:

1) Gigabyte P67A-UD4. Newegg link (for pictures and other features like customer reviews). It's worth 356.08 lv which is about $250 USD.

2) Gigabyte P67A-UD5. Newegg link. It's going for 512.15 lv which is about $354 USD

3) ASRock P67 Extreme4. Newegg link. It's going for 282.95 lv which is about $195 USD

I cant really tell which ones are in stock on that site (different language) but it's worth checking it out :)

Haha, i haven't refreshed the page before i posted. :pfp::doh:

I should stop going to forums while at work. :biggrin:

Edit: If i use the ASRock board the 2 configurations are now both at $480.

Edited by John_Grimm

Haha, i haven't refreshed the page before i posted. :pfp::doh:

I should stop going to forums while at work. :biggrin:

These forums are addictive aren't they? Dont worry, :typing:

The ASRock P67 Extreme4 is a great board and if it is the same price go for it. Here's a good review on it.

The i5 2500K will currently outperform any of the Phenom II x6 so in the end it would be more value for money.

I am pretty sure the Bulldozer CPUs will only be available on the new AMD3+ socket which will support all AMD3 CPUs + any Bulldozer cpu but the current AMD3 socket (the one the crosshair has) wont support Bulldozer. But I could be wrong.

How much time you got on this build? Maybe it is worth waiting until the Bulldozer comes out or until you at least know which socket it will go into? But we don't know how long that will be so it's really up to you.

Tnks for your advise m8s. :thumbsup:

I really would have loved to go with the Asus Crosshair IV (What a lovely MoBo), but with all the uncertainty of whether Bulldozer will be available or fully functional on AM3 changed my mind (I can't afford it yet to replace a high-end MoBo in 6-8 months, the females in my family will kill me). DAMN YOU AMD where is the INFO!!! :cry:

Ok final configuration looks something like this:

Case: CM HAF 912 Plus

Fan: CM 120mm EXCALIBUR 600/2000RPM PWM (Thiese are extras so i fill)

PSU: CM RS-750-ACAA-E3: GX 750W OR Corsair HX 750 W Modular OR Corsair TX 750 W (Haven't decided on this yet, i want to see how far my cash will get me before i choose)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow OR the CM V8

CPU: Core i5 2500K

MoBo:ASRock P67 Extreme4

RAM: 2x Kingston DIMM DDR3 2 GB 1600 MHz

GPU: Sapphire AMD HD6850 1 GB TOXIC

HDD: WD 1TB Black 64MB SATA III

@ a cost of aprox. $1'385

And I've chosen this ACER 24 LCD WIDE V243HL LED screen @ $265.

So what do you guys think is this build? Worth the $1'650 investment?