doopypeanut

Official Bored at Class/Work Thread

So, i found that my laptop only half works with the new routers that my school uses. I can load skype, AIM, school website...

but I can't load google, email, OCC, facebook, or any images whatsoever.

I went to the help desk and they told me that it was a problem with my laptop and to take it to a tech. Their other suggestion was to defrag it -.-

Excuse me, but.. I AM MY OWN TECH!

WiFi on campus really sucks.

Enjoying this Cryptography class. Also taking: Computer Organization & Architecture (already took Computer Organization & Logic, these classes seem to overlap 100% so far :(), System Admin, and Databases.

Gah, UCF changed something with my FAFSA and now I'm no longer eligible for Pell Grants. They didn't even give me a Fall term Full-Time Student grant either :(

Going to sign up for Experiential Learning @ UCF. Couldn't before since I wasn't a full time student. It sucks that they restrict you to be a full time student just to be able to apply.

Edited by Krazyxazn

So, i found that my laptop only half works with the new routers that my school uses. I can load skype, AIM, school website...

I went to the help desk and they told me that it was a problem with my laptop and to take it to a tech. Their other suggestion was to defrag it -.-

You might try using a different DNS server. Try setting your DNS statically to the Google DNS servers and see if that helps (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Running defrag certainly will not help :rolleyes:

Why would a router cause this issue? A router only makes routes between networks, business routers such as the ones your school has are not the same thing as your home internet routers. If your likely the only person with the issue its likely on your end. Do a ping test and (ping -t) and see if there are any dropped packets, if packets are dropping do a traceroute and see where your packets are being dropped. If its within the inside default gateway then yes there might be an issue with the routes on the router. Also your likely trying to connect to the wireless I am assuming. It could be an issue with an access point, try patching in and see if your issues resolve.

Your average college help desks are not ran by the Network Engineer. Its likely a student worker you talked to who have no idea about how networking works. I

Why would a router cause this issue? A router only makes routes between networks, business routers such as the ones your school has are not the same thing as your home internet routers. If your likely the only person with the issue its likely on your end. Do a ping test and (ping -t) and see if there are any dropped packets, if packets are dropping do a traceroute and see where your packets are being dropped. If its within the inside default gateway then yes there might be an issue with the routes on the router. Also your likely trying to connect to the wireless I am assuming. It could be an issue with an access point, try patching in and see if your issues resolve.

Your average college help desks are not ran by the Network Engineer. Its likely a student worker you talked to who have no idea about how networking works. I

I tried a pingtest, and it worked just fine. Basically tried everything that I could think of.

here's the thing: I basically have not used my laptop since last semester. It's strictly for school or when I'm out of town. When I left last semester, it was working just fine. When I came back, they had changed the router and changed the encryption to WPA2.

It wasn't a student. They actually have 3 people that they've hired to sit and troubleshoot network problems all day.

I have basically resigned to the fact that I'll just have to use Linux while I'm on campus, which actually makes life difficult as I have my MS Office programs that I need for my Microapplications class installed on my windows partition, and I have no interest in installing it on my 20GB Linux partition. So I'm just going to have to jump back and forth between the two for work and play.

Sitting here working on Statistics homework, ulgh my head hurts already... Don't know how I am going to get through a semester of this...

:withstupid: except Calculus 3 not Statistics.... I feel like 90% of all I've done in Calc 1 and 2 have been sucked outta my head

Thank GOD I'm back home from dorming for the year to transfer schools. The internet always SUCKED, ugh. picard1.png Thank god I'm back to Optimum's TurboBoost 50M DL/8M UL! woo.gif

MJCRO, I want that internet. I am stuck with Road Runner 10/1 connection. My friend's been nagging me to stream my SC2 play, but I actually can't because for any quality that warrants streaming, I have to absolutely max out my upload, and that results in a ton of lag.

MJCRO, I want that internet. I am stuck with Road Runner 10/1 connection. My friend's been nagging me to stream my SC2 play, but I actually can't because for any quality that warrants streaming, I have to absolutely max out my upload, and that results in a ton of lag.

Yeah that sucks.

I got to play with legos in my technical writing class today -- makes for a perfect Friday. :D Almost done with the day -- a meeting this afternoon and then IT'S FRIDAY!!! :teehee: