Official Bored at Class/Work Thread

doopypeanut

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love computer labs with easy assignments i could do in my sleep. Also i discovered that the open internet network(as in no filters thus occ) just has the standard admin password. lol. Guess thats for the teachers. :evilgrin:

You would if it caused nearly daily power outages :(

Thought it fried my computer one night.

That might be a problem. It's surprising that things like that happen in NY. In Paris, no matter the situation, the power always stays on. I have yet to experience an outage there. Be it floods, or record amounts of snow (set a new record for Paris last year), the power is on.

Well I think I just failed one of my classes due to incompetence. The term paper was due for it today, and in the guidelines he said he wont accept late papers and that it was due at the beginning of class. I had the paper 85% done by class today thinking I had till Thursday to do it, because of my weird schedule we don't have classes Thursday as it is a "Reading Day".... Anyways the class only had 4 grades, 3 exams and the term paper. I did really crappy on the first exam because I was sick as a dog, and coughing up a lung. The second exam I did a little better, but still not great. The last exam is Friday, and if he dosn't accept my paper I might as well not show up for it, I think I would have to at least get a A on it to pass...

Stupid old school Professors... gah! I thought this class was going to be fun, after all it is History of Rock and Roll, I didn't know that someone could make Rock and Roll so dry...

So I dodged a bullet there, luckily my professor accepted it with a penalty. I could care less because it basically puts me in passing range now.

As for being bored at school, I am at home finishing up term papers... I am almost done with one, and have one more to go! YAY!

Tomorrow I have an exam for my C# class... Stupid Saturday exams!!!! gah! and the weather is so nice out boo

Then I think I just have one more exam on Wednesday and I am free! Well sorta, I still have to find an Internship for summer, I got one possible interview response today! Then I have to work on my online class homework which is due Sunday! worst time to start a new class is during finals....

I just got off work, but I'm really bored and still hyped up on caffeine, so here's a blog-like post that I've been making in my head for awhile. Pardon the rambling, I've been going since Friday morning with only a 2 1/2 hour nap.

Wednesday: Go to work at 8 PM, receive report from the staff I'm relieving, document, go to bed at 10 PM.

Thursday: Wake up at 6:45 AM, document on overnight time. Prepare the three individuals in the home for Pre-Vocational work. Ride the transit bus to the woodworking factory to help provide Pre-Vocational Services. I'm responsible for five individuals, four of which sand wood for wood products, which are sold at another Pre-Vocational/Sheltered Workshop location. During this time, I also have to teach classes to eight individuals on work skills, money skills, safety, and everything else to help prepare them for the world. Oh, and I get to document on all of them. At 3 PM, ride with the three individuals back to their home. I then have to get these three individuals to do various things around the house to meet their daily goals. Document on the morning and the night, go to bed at 11 PM due to one individual having violently aggressive behavior.

Friday: Wake up at 6:45 AM, document on overnight time. Repeat Thursday for Pre-Vocational services. Arrive back at the house, get all my documentation done, punch out at 4 PM.

Friday Night: Shower, shave, dress in Class A uniform for girlfriend's Senior Prom. Realize at 4:55 PM that I forgot to pick up the corsage from the florist that closes at 5 PM. Pick up corsage at 4:59 PM from very understanding florist. Wait forever for girlfriend to get ready. Also, I finally realize that the extra effort to tie a Half-Windsor knot is worth it compared to the Four Hand knot. Go out to eat at fancy restaurant because it's the only decent place in town. Shake everyone's hand because I thought I would save money by not renting a tux and just wearing my Class As, only then to remember that I just became the face of the Army because I'm wearing a uniform, which leads to more attention than I'm usually comfortable with. Go to prom, participate in prom related activities. Completely disgrace the uniform with prom photo because the photographer wants a "cocky, aggressive stance" that makes me look like a complete douche bag.

Saturday: 0001 to 0030 --> Continue with prom. Remember how the last four proms I went to sucked because I dislike painfully loud music and hip-hop, but endure it all because I want my girlfriend to have a good night. Prom ends, after-prom party begins. Realize girlfriend is really good at Black Jack after she starts with $1,000 in fake cash and ends with $20,000 in fake cash to be turned in for prizes. At 0431, drive girlfriend back to her house and change into civilian clothing. Go to sleep at 5 AM quite exhausted from dancing all night. Wake up at 7:30 AM. Drive back to house previously explained while angrily cursing at self for saying "Yeah, I guess I can come in at 8 AM instead of noon." Buy lots of Mountain Dew and dipping tobacco in the hope that the combination of nicotine and caffeine will keep me awake. Arrive at house, punch in, talk with the other staff I'll be working the shift with, and work with individuals on cleaning the house up. After the individuals have thoroughly cleaned the house up and down, go for walk with individuals to the local gas station. Spend 15 minutes explaining and re-explaining the concept of tax and $.05 deposit on pop cans and bottles. Get back to house, fill out cash ledgers for money spent, count cash, Realize that one individual used some of his own private funds that he's not allowed to have due to a rights restriction and the nature of the Department of Human Services when it comes to money (100% accountability, down to every. Single. Penny.). Call up supervisor, get talked to in a manner that makes me feel like an idiot. Fill out cash receipt for the extra money to allow cash ledger to show that the individual "deposited" the money into his spending money. Spend 10 minutes getting individual out of his room to sign said receipt. Re-count money five freaking times because two and a half hours of sleep greatly impairs my already impaired math skills. Relief staff arrives at 4:45 PM to receive report. Praise relief staff nearly religiously because my mind is simply not working right. Punch out at 4:59 PM. Drive back home, put away uniform, drive back to girlfriend's house to spend time with her. Watch movies with girlfriend, drive back home and post about my day on a computer enthusiast website.

I am now off until Monday, when I'll be working with a 7 year old boy who is in a perfectly sound mental state, but whose mother has somehow gotten a diagnosis of ADHD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder from some shrink. However, he's the second oldest in his family, his older brother is 14 and going through the angst filled teenage years and doesn't give a damn at all about him, his mother is a known lazy couch potato, and his father works 12 hours a day six days a week to make ends meet for all of them, and also finds time to be a volunteer firefighter. This boy's father is my secret hero because of the sacrifices he makes for his family and community. I have nothing but respect for this man. To his son, I'll quote what he told his mother about me: "He's my best friend. He's not up there with papa, but he's real close." Since I've started working with him, he has improved dramatically in school, socializes better with kids his own age, and gets up early and gets ready for school all by himself on the days that I come to work with him, just because he enjoys spending time with me that much. To me, it didn't seem like we did a whole lot, but looking at it through his eyes, I'm one of the coolest guys in the world. He gets to go to my parents farm and see horses and goats, we go to McDonalds and he gets to order whatever he wants, we wash the ambulances from time to time, which are the second coolest vehicles ever to him, fire trucks coming in first. And he helps me to be a better person every time I spend time with him. He once saw cigarettes in my car and asked about them. I told him the honest truth about them, saying "Don't ever touch those things. Smoking is a disgusting, terrible habit that's very hard to break. I wish I had never started. There's nothing cool about them at all." He said one thing: "I wish you didn't smoke." Later on that day, I lit up a Marlboro Red and smoked about half of it, thinking about what he told me. I threw it on the ground, stomped it out, and I haven't touched a cigarette since. I still use nicotine lozenges and dipping tobacco, but the latter is going in the trash soon. It's been the best decision of my life to stop smoking. My relationship with my girlfriend has drastically improved, and I feel like an idiot for getting upset when she complained about the smell in my hair and on my clothes. I used to think it was nothing. Now that my sense of smell has returned, I nearly gagged when one of my coworkers came in from a smoke break. And all it really took was knowing that I meant the world to one boy who I've only known a couple of months, and knowing how proud he is of me.

It's funny, a little over a year ago I was out looking for a job out of sheer necessity. I was getting ready to start working as a fork lift operator at a farm goods store when I finally got a phone call back from the agency my mother had started working at out of necessity. It was the same thing I'm doing now, working with mentally challenged individuals on an in home basis. I thought "I can probably put up with it until I find a better job." After working there for awhile, I realized that I had finally found the job that put everything I've wanted to do all into one thing. I had wanted to be a nurse and care for the sick and injured during the troubling times of their lives. I had wanted to be a psychologist to help individuals with their mental health, having experienced such issues myself. I had also wanted to be a teacher, out of the sheer love I have for teaching and instructing. Now, every day I work, I help individuals out with the entire spectrum of their lives. I help them maintain good health, I help them get a handle on their mental differences, I help to teach them on just about every subject they want to know about. And best of all, it's not just patients in a hospital, it's not just students in a classroom, and it's not just some person sitting on a couch for an hour telling me about their problems. It's teaching others how to live. It's helping them reach their maximum level of independence. It's being a role model to all of them and making sure that they're able to participate in the life of their community. 50 or 60 years ago, they would all be in an institution, locked away from the rest of the world. Now, they have the opportunities to live life in the community, to be able to go to work just like anybody else, but have that work scaled to their level of functioning. It's a humbling job, and I love it.

And now that I can no longer see straight, that's what has been running through my head while bored at work. Good night to you all.

I just got off work, but I'm really bored and still hyped up on caffeine, so here's a blog-like post that I've been making in my head for awhile. Pardon the rambling, I've been going since Friday morning with only a 2 1/2 hour nap.

Wednesday: Go to work at 8 PM, receive report from the staff I'm relieving, document, go to bed at 10 PM.

Thursday: Wake up at 6:45 AM, document on overnight time. Prepare the three individuals in the home for Pre-Vocational work. Ride the transit bus to the woodworking factory to help provide Pre-Vocational Services. I'm responsible for five individuals, four of which sand wood for wood products, which are sold at another Pre-Vocational/Sheltered Workshop location. During this time, I also have to teach classes to eight individuals on work skills, money skills, safety, and everything else to help prepare them for the world. Oh, and I get to document on all of them. At 3 PM, ride with the three individuals back to their home. I then have to get these three individuals to do various things around the house to meet their daily goals. Document on the morning and the night, go to bed at 11 PM due to one individual having violently aggressive behavior.

Friday: Wake up at 6:45 AM, document on overnight time. Repeat Thursday for Pre-Vocational services. Arrive back at the house, get all my documentation done, punch out at 4 PM.

Friday Night: Shower, shave, dress in Class A uniform for girlfriend's Senior Prom. Realize at 4:55 PM that I forgot to pick up the corsage from the florist that closes at 5 PM. Pick up corsage at 4:59 PM from very understanding florist. Wait forever for girlfriend to get ready. Also, I finally realize that the extra effort to tie a Half-Windsor knot is worth it compared to the Four Hand knot. Go out to eat at fancy restaurant because it's the only decent place in town. Shake everyone's hand because I thought I would save money by not renting a tux and just wearing my Class As, only then to remember that I just became the face of the Army because I'm wearing a uniform, which leads to more attention than I'm usually comfortable with. Go to prom, participate in prom related activities. Completely disgrace the uniform with prom photo because the photographer wants a "cocky, aggressive stance" that makes me look like a complete douche bag.

Saturday: 0001 to 0030 --> Continue with prom. Remember how the last four proms I went to sucked because I dislike painfully loud music and hip-hop, but endure it all because I want my girlfriend to have a good night. Prom ends, after-prom party begins. Realize girlfriend is really good at Black Jack after she starts with $1,000 in fake cash and ends with $20,000 in fake cash to be turned in for prizes. At 0431, drive girlfriend back to her house and change into civilian clothing. Go to sleep at 5 AM quite exhausted from dancing all night. Wake up at 7:30 AM. Drive back to house previously explained while angrily cursing at self for saying "Yeah, I guess I can come in at 8 AM instead of noon." Buy lots of Mountain Dew and dipping tobacco in the hope that the combination of nicotine and caffeine will keep me awake. Arrive at house, punch in, talk with the other staff I'll be working the shift with, and work with individuals on cleaning the house up. After the individuals have thoroughly cleaned the house up and down, go for walk with individuals to the local gas station. Spend 15 minutes explaining and re-explaining the concept of tax and $.05 deposit on pop cans and bottles. Get back to house, fill out cash ledgers for money spent, count cash, Realize that one individual used some of his own private funds that he's not allowed to have due to a rights restriction and the nature of the Department of Human Services when it comes to money (100% accountability, down to every. Single. Penny.). Call up supervisor, get talked to in a manner that makes me feel like an idiot. Fill out cash receipt for the extra money to allow cash ledger to show that the individual "deposited" the money into his spending money. Spend 10 minutes getting individual out of his room to sign said receipt. Re-count money five freaking times because two and a half hours of sleep greatly impairs my already impaired math skills. Relief staff arrives at 4:45 PM to receive report. Praise relief staff nearly religiously because my mind is simply not working right. Punch out at 4:59 PM. Drive back home, put away uniform, drive back to girlfriend's house to spend time with her. Watch movies with girlfriend, drive back home and post about my day on a computer enthusiast website.

I am now off until Monday, when I'll be working with a 7 year old boy who is in a perfectly sound mental state, but whose mother has somehow gotten a diagnosis of ADHD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder from some shrink. However, he's the second oldest in his family, his older brother is 14 and going through the angst filled teenage years and doesn't give a damn at all about him, his mother is a known lazy couch potato, and his father works 12 hours a day six days a week to make ends meet for all of them, and also finds time to be a volunteer firefighter. This boy's father is my secret hero because of the sacrifices he makes for his family and community. I have nothing but respect for this man. To his son, I'll quote what he told his mother about me: "He's my best friend. He's not up there with papa, but he's real close." Since I've started working with him, he has improved dramatically in school, socializes better with kids his own age, and gets up early and gets ready for school all by himself on the days that I come to work with him, just because he enjoys spending time with me that much. To me, it didn't seem like we did a whole lot, but looking at it through his eyes, I'm one of the coolest guys in the world. He gets to go to my parents farm and see horses and goats, we go to McDonalds and he gets to order whatever he wants, we wash the ambulances from time to time, which are the second coolest vehicles ever to him, fire trucks coming in first. And he helps me to be a better person every time I spend time with him. He once saw cigarettes in my car and asked about them. I told him the honest truth about them, saying "Don't ever touch those things. Smoking is a disgusting, terrible habit that's very hard to break. I wish I had never started. There's nothing cool about them at all." He said one thing: "I wish you didn't smoke." Later on that day, I lit up a Marlboro Red and smoked about half of it, thinking about what he told me. I threw it on the ground, stomped it out, and I haven't touched a cigarette since. I still use nicotine lozenges and dipping tobacco, but the latter is going in the trash soon. It's been the best decision of my life to stop smoking. My relationship with my girlfriend has drastically improved, and I feel like an idiot for getting upset when she complained about the smell in my hair and on my clothes. I used to think it was nothing. Now that my sense of smell has returned, I nearly gagged when one of my coworkers came in from a smoke break. And all it really took was knowing that I meant the world to one boy who I've only known a couple of months, and knowing how proud he is of me.

It's funny, a little over a year ago I was out looking for a job out of sheer necessity. I was getting ready to start working as a fork lift operator at a farm goods store when I finally got a phone call back from the agency my mother had started working at out of necessity. It was the same thing I'm doing now, working with mentally challenged individuals on an in home basis. I thought "I can probably put up with it until I find a better job." After working there for awhile, I realized that I had finally found the job that put everything I've wanted to do all into one thing. I had wanted to be a nurse and care for the sick and injured during the troubling times of their lives. I had wanted to be a psychologist to help individuals with their mental health, having experienced such issues myself. I had also wanted to be a teacher, out of the sheer love I have for teaching and instructing. Now, every day I work, I help individuals out with the entire spectrum of their lives. I help them maintain good health, I help them get a handle on their mental differences, I help to teach them on just about every subject they want to know about. And best of all, it's not just patients in a hospital, it's not just students in a classroom, and it's not just some person sitting on a couch for an hour telling me about their problems. It's teaching others how to live. It's helping them reach their maximum level of independence. It's being a role model to all of them and making sure that they're able to participate in the life of their community. 50 or 60 years ago, they would all be in an institution, locked away from the rest of the world. Now, they have the opportunities to live life in the community, to be able to go to work just like anybody else, but have that work scaled to their level of functioning. It's a humbling job, and I love it.

And now that I can no longer see straight, that's what has been running through my head while bored at work. Good night to you all.

Wonderful read!

It's always a nice feeling to know that someone looks up to you; knowing that you can influence their life for the better, and they can influence yours all the same.

Props to you.

<3

Here's hoping I get to keep my 3.0 GPA. Waiting for them to post up the final grades still :(

Dude your Asian, I thought you guys eat school for breakfast!? :P

Oh and what is "FW Team Member" BTW? I just noticed that in my sig. I guess I am special in some way......my mom always told me that but I thought it was just to make me feel good inside.

*EDIT* Ahh forum wars. :P

Edited by krazypoloc

Dude your Asian, I thought you guys eat school for breakfast!? :P

Oh and what is "FW Team Member" BTW? I just noticed that in my sig. I guess I am special in some way......my mom always told me that but I thought it was just to make me feel good inside.

*EDIT* Ahh forum wars. :P

I'm the gaming Asian, not the math Asian :(

How many Polocs does it take to... oh nevermind :D