• Arctic Silver 5
    • Ceramique
    • Arctic cooling MX-1
    • Chill Factor 3

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I'm out of the loop, I didn't even know they came out with a TX4! I started using the Shin Etsu and haven't looked back, but I am def going to check out the new TIM from Tuniq!

TX-4 is a few degrees better than TX-3, but it is really thick and hard to spread. I have heard very good thing about Shin Etsu, and my understanding is that it is about on par with TX-4 or maybe slightly better

so i got my computer up and going after running new water loops and putting TX-4 on and on boot up at idle im getting 26,23,27,23 across the cores. thats about a 10c drop from before without any breakin time :thumbsup:

I use Arctic Silver MTX which is awesome. At work we used Arctic cooling MX-2, Which also is nice stuff. Have a Xeon 3440 under a Hyper 212+ with this Mx-2 and hottest core under prime95 is only 49c... thats not bad seeing as how the stock cooler rocked out with like 90c under prime95, crappy server heatsink in a normal case with poor airflow.

Arctic cooling also has MX-4 out now too which is even better. I still like my arctic silver MTX the best, it was really thick, and when applied via 3 thin lines method(recommended by arctic silver for MTX paste on socket 1366 CPU's) under my megahalems it spread PERFECTLY!

The MX-2 was little too fluid for my tastes, it however made it VERY easy to spread all over the hyper 212+ heatpipes which required quite a bit more thermal paste than most coolers due to being required to fill in all the gaps between the heatpipes. Due to this it would have been VERY difficult to use the arctic silver MTX paste on this particular heatsink.

Regardless my vote goes to: AS MTX - 1st, AC MX-4 - 2nd, AC MX-2 - 3rd. I havent used the MX-4 but i cant imagine it would be worse than the MX-2 lol.

Oh, and none of my preferred pastes here are conductive so thats a VERY good thing these days!

I use Artic MX-3 and it does pretty well . I have odd methods of applying paste . I put a tiny tiny drop of past on the cooler and spread it out finely using my finger to give the effect of lapping and then apply the main two small drops in the middle and spread it out in a thin layer and put it on the cpu . It gives me great temps .

I just bought some AS5 to go with my Xigmatek 92mm HSF and well, my CPU hasn't gone ABOVE 30 C in three days. Lowest it has been recorded at was 14 C. This is using CoreTemp to monitor and living in a meat locker with an AthlonII X4 620 @ stock. Gonna be OCing soon with these temps.

I use Artic MX-3 and it does pretty well . I have odd methods of applying paste . I put a tiny tiny drop of past on the cooler and spread it out finely using my finger to give the effect of lapping and then apply the main two small drops in the middle and spread it out in a thin layer and put it on the cpu . It gives me great temps .

Nyt do you use rubber gloves when you do this? I ask because if not then you risk adding human oil/dirt from you hand into the equation! Even if you scrub like crazy before you do this, you can't make this go away completely! A long time ago I used to do use a similiar method with my fingers and spreading it onto the surface, until I read an article about not using your bare hands, and using a rubber glove instead. After I read the article, it made perfect sense, and i have since never used a bare finger to spread paste. Actually with the heat that the i7 produces I don't use a finger anymore at all. With AMD they just run so much cooler, so I'm sure the margin of error is not near as small ;)

I just bought some AS5 to go with my Xigmatek 92mm HSF and well, my CPU hasn't gone ABOVE 30 C in three days. Lowest it has been recorded at was 14 C. This is using CoreTemp to monitor and living in a meat locker with an AthlonII X4 620 @ stock. Gonna be OCing soon with these temps.

..........?

I was quite puzzled by this at 1st also. But I think immortal is referring to his ambient temps being very low, at least that is my take on the "meat locker" = cold :teehee: