Project: Mean Green Machine

Ceej

Blue Panda: I actually prefer blue myself as well, but the lime exterior and tinting is gorgeous :P But as far as water cooling goes, I'm still a little timid in that area. I would worry about having to cut the tubing, worry about frying my system with leaks, etc. Maybe one day :P

I understand that one. I won a closed loop system from CoolIT... I used it that way for about a day or two. Then I cut it up and modified it to use a water bay, duel fans and some fittings. Dropped my temperatures about 10-15C just from that. My difference between min and max temperatures CPU wise is about 20C...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm playing it cautious, I'm probably going to add an aftermarket cooler now too since stressing it out at my old OC and voltage put it up to 103c... it's way hotter now basically (or I screwed up the thermal paste) It maxes out at 75c on 3DMark though, so I'm good for everyday use. I've heard you can SLI with a regular 470, so I'm thinking I might try a twin frozr... they look sweet, though that Palit with the DisplayPort is tempting too :P

vlcsnap-2011-03-03-15h48m52s133.jpg

Well I went and got myself a Twin Frozr 470... the results are incredible! ...so is the heat, and my old card isn't the problem.

MSI is the top card, EVGA (old 465-turned-470) is bottom. Both are set to 80% fan speed, 100% at 60c:

Idle:

MSI: 45c (not too bad)

EVGA: 34c (average)

Here's where the problem kicks in, My top card (MSI) hits upper-90s and 100 at least if I'd let it while playing games. Crysis 2, 3DMARK, etc. I have a HAF-X, 200mm side fan AND the included graphics side-duct (not in the picture, installed after) to cool the top card. The bottom card is fine, barely touches 60, so it's essentially a 40c different between the 2 cards! I know the top card runs way hotter, but I put the Twin Frozr on top because I thought the special cooling could handle it, but apparently not. Yet, I don't think it's supposed to get THAT hot. This is with stock clocks and voltages too. Not sure what else I can do. There's another PCI-E slot lower on the board but it says it's a PCI-X16 slot "running at X4" according to the specs, so I don't think that's a viable solution (or is it?)

I'm pretty sure space is the issue, and it doesn't at all help that my sound card is right above it (and that can't be changed unless I move it to the 4x... though I doubt the sound card is the issue)

Edited by Ceej

There's another PCI-E slot lower on the board but it says it's a PCI-X16 slot "running at X4" according to the specs, so I don't think that's a viable solution (or is it?)

I wouldn't expect it to perform very well with a 4x slot.

The big problem is that the top card gets starved for air (especially on cards with custom heatsinks...they tend to be designed for single-card use only). You could try putting the 465 up top - the reference cooler should be somewhat better at cooling when up against another card. As long as they don't go much over 100 C you're pretty much safe (though it's pretty disconcerting to see temps like that).

Kind of shocking but that did help a bit. You would think when you have a card like the Frozr it would take care of the heat better. But I think the reason it works better is the frozr seems less rigid and more open in the back as compared to the stock. Either way I am really impressed with the speed. I used to think SLI was a bunch of hype, but I'm really happy with this setup and I can't wait to see how this runs Battlefield 3.

Kind of shocking but that did help a bit. You would think when you have a card like the Frozr it would take care of the heat better. But I think the reason it works better is the frozr seems less rigid and more open in the back as compared to the stock. Either way I am really impressed with the speed. I used to think SLI was a bunch of hype, but I'm really happy with this setup and I can't wait to see how this runs Battlefield 3.

Doesnt matter how good the heatsink is if you dont have airflow to remove the heat. Thats the problem with the top card, They are SOOOO close together. Pretty much the only thing you can do is funnel air onto the card and hope for the best, hah.

Glad to hear everything is working great in SLI! You got yourself quite the 465 id say! And nice choice on the Twin Frozr II 470. I got a MSI Twin Frozr II 570 and its AMAZING!

Post some scores from your benchmarks?? Curious to see what 2x 470's in SLI can put up.

Yeah I definitely see that, and like I said putting the Frozr on bottom actually seems to make it less of a squeeze because of the size difference, etc.

Neither of these scores are FM approved, I'm using beta Forceware 266.77 and Vantage has PhysX on, so that does skew it.

3DMark11: P9040

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/759503

3DMark Vantage: P32449

http://3dmark.com/3dmv/2949398

• 5 months later...

Shame on me for not visiting these forums more often :P But while I was away the Mean Green Machine got a little meaner and greener! If you haven't noticed, it has been TERRIBLY hot in Dallas this year (summer from hell!) and my poor rig needed some relief. I ended up scoring an EVGA Superclock cooler which was surprisingly better than my old Dark Knight even with the same fans rigged up. My graphics cards were still dying for some O2 though... so I paired the perfect green chassis with the perfect green motherboard: the Gigabyte G1 Assassin. As a tactical gamer, the military theme and gorgeous green and black styling is just icing on a great cake! (then again, EVERYONE knows the frosting is the best part :P) Even better, look online and you'll see the board goes for $460 MINIMUM. I scored this board at Micro Center (the last G1 board in ANY Micro Center ANYWHERE) for $339!!!

Alas, my system is incomplete. My mean green machine is incomplete without an SSD to boot on. If I could have any drive, it would be the new Kingston HyperX 120gb drive, but a Patriot Wildfire or OCZ Vertex 3 would also be great. However, I don't think I'll be able to get one, but you never know.

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0255-1.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

Finally, even before I got this new board I decided to really push my rig and see what it could do, I'm sure it could do better yet, but I was satisfied when I managed to break the 10,000 barrier in 3DMark11!!! See the results here: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1396623

You can also find my rig at http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=25872 be sure to +1 if you like :)

Edited by Ceej