wowdoggy954

One SSD boots 2.5x faster than two SSD's in RAID 0

Diskpart should work good to zero the disks, yes? I've posted two screenshots over the first post in this thread. I'm not trying to get this topic back to the top again but please check the results and see what you make of them.

Wow now THATS complete info :D Completely screwy too, I've never seen anything like that, nothing about those numbers seems logical to me. Sequential read speed is where it should be on the SB750 but you're right, it looks like the other controller is only using one disk. The boot times probably have to do with some kind of driver loading or something, although 60+ seconds is still quite whacky. It looks as if when you set RAID 0 in the JMicron controller, it constucts a JBOD instead. I would ask for a new motherboard if I was you, if its acting up now its almost a guarantee that later on it will crap out on you. But yea, that seems like its entirely a busted controller.

I reset the SSD's with diskpart after each Windows install and after doing RAID on both controllers diskpart showed data being present on only one drive.

I'm getting a real honest 30 second boot time so I don't care if RAID works or not. I sent the pics to GIGABYTE.

Data present on only one drive to me signals its running JBOD mode (Just a Bunch Of Disks), which spans two drives into one but doesnt actually split any data. RAID controllers have that setting along with RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, etc. I'm not sure how to check, but look in your RAID BIOS for anything that says JBOD, and if it doesnt then you should definitely RMA that board.

I've never known JBOD to span data across multiple disks. I thought it was just a bunch of disks as singles. Anyways I am in RAID0 no doubt about it. And I just installed the JMicron RAID driver (my device manager calls is the Gigabyte GBB36X Controller) and the scores for the benchmarks dropped 20MB/s to 120MB/s but the boot time is still 34 seconds. If I have to RMA this mb I'll buy a better one and sell the RMA. To be honest, I dig the speed of my system now and games load plenty quick for me so chances are good that I may just keep it. Or what, should I be getting even faster boot times? Who knows, maybe GIGABYTE has a magic solution for me.

I've never used JBOD but from what I understand it tells the OS that there's one disk when there's really two, but the usable space is the addition of both. If you're liking it then meh, the time spent dealing with an RMA is absolutely not worth it, but if it were me I'd be scared that my already not-working-properly RAID controller would die altogether.

And by the way, I'm still planning on doing the boot-time thing that this thread was made for :D Just havent had time!

Oops, I kinda forgot to mention that on my system with RAID0 installed right now diskpart shows the array as normal 233GB - this I did not mention. The diskpart screenshot I made was made on my hp laptop with both drives connected via USB~SATA adapter and that is how I was resetting the drives (because my desktop was busy testing HDD configs). That being said, it still clearly shows the data is being written to only one disk. If this mb blows up I don't really care, I don't keep anything on the system anyways but $200 for a nice new shiny mb is pretty small as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't trust Diskpart to read the volumes correctly in a RAID 0 array (or any non-software RAID for that matter).

Have you tried using different ports? Sometimes ports 0 and 1 share bandwidth as do ports 2 and 3 - try using ports 0 and 2 or 1 and 3. :cheers: