Athlon II 620 + Thermaltake FRIO

phomanchu

I had a few questions. I wanted to run my system at a stable 3.5-3.8 ghz. I've been messing around with it but I'm not too sure what my RAM clock and HT should be at. Just wanted some advice on how to get the most optimal results. Not looking to max out the CPU.

I'm also looking to overclock the video card and RAM. Any tips from someone with a similar set up would be nice :thumbsup:

Heres my set up.

Lian-Li 65B

Athlon II X4 620 3.2 ghz

- Thermaltake Frio

BIOSTAR TA880GB+ AM3 AMD 880G

XFX Radeon 5770HD

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

32GB Corsair Nova SSD

250 GB HDD x3

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W

10nrx9x.jpg

Nothing crazy, just a casual gamer and some photo/video editing.

THANKS!!!

Edited by phomanchu

just run the ram speed at the lowest you can for now, then make the chip's multiplier lowest it can, try and keep the CPU-NB and HTlink at 2000mhz (or as close to it as you can).

Then see how high you can get the bclock, once you find that out, raise the main multiplier to full again and then add the extra vcore necessary to stabilize that :thumbsup: (oh yeah then see how high you can get the memory)

just run the ram speed at the lowest you can for now, then make the chip's multiplier lowest it can, try and keep the CPU-NB and HTlink at 2000mhz (or as close to it as you can).

Then see how high you can get the bclock, once you find that out, raise the main multiplier to full again and then add the extra vcore necessary to stabilize that :thumbsup: (oh yeah then see how high you can get the memory)

Thanks for the response!

What should I use to check if my memory is stable when overclocking? :) or will the system just hang/crash..

Not looking to max the cpu out? That is pretty much maxing it out around 3.6ghz :P . I'd stick with 3.5ghz unless u were really bored one weekend like me and kept trying. This is the stable settings for mine at 3.5ghz

bclock 270

multi x13

cpu/nb 7.00x

cpu voltage 1.5v

loadline calibration 32.25 (my preferred setting)

HT link frequency 1400

chipset voltage 1.2

Advance clock calibration Auto (this allows for more stability)

Then the complicated bit. When you set the ram speed, due to the bclock increase the ram frequency increases i.e. if you set your ram speed to 533 at a bclock of 270 the ram speed will go to 720. Because of this you may need to enter your timings manually or your pc may not boot or may be unstable. If you go into cpuz, under SPD tab you will find listed speeds with timings under them, copy these down onto paper. Then if you set your ram speed for example to 533 (720) you need to find the ram profile closest to 720 i.e the closest to 720 on mine is 685 so you copy the ram timings under 685 off the piece of paper into the bios (this is as clearly as i can explain it if you want more help just ask, and i cant copy my settings down due to the variation of ram speeds/timings)

The thermaltake frio is a great cooler for this cpu btw, at 3.6ghz ive never seen mine exceed low 40's. Hope this helps.

Edited by bobby898

OK I actually found most of the settings besides the multiplier. But there's something I'm a bit worried about. My mainboard temp shows 49-52C. Is this normal? feel like I have sufficient cooling. I have 2 front intake fans. a lian-li HDD case with a fan. top outtake fan, 2 rear out fans.

j7wait.jpg

Edited by phomanchu

says CPU-NB - auto

NB over voltage - 1.2

HT over voltage 1.2

Thanks for your quick responses bobby. I'm bummed I think my BIOS sucks. I have the lastest version.. lol some settings shown in the manual aren't on my actual BIOS either.

Would it be possible for you to send some shots of your bios? everything in cpuz seems fine i was just slightly concerned about the temps of your chipset considering mine never exceeds 30C. Is the CPU/NB still set to auto because in cpuz it shows at 1813 wheras it should be expected to be at 2600 when set to auto? Finally it should be fine to leave the HT's overvolting option to auto (maybe this is causing the high temps).