Hexalude

Z Engine (Steelseries Merc Stealth)

Ok,

First a little vent. Steelseries would have to have the most worthless support section on the entire planet. It is designed purely to run you around the website through its extremely selective FAQs under the false firetrucking pretense of allowing you to fill out a mystical "work ticket" without actually given any way of actually contacting customer support. Even the almighty google could not turn up with any viable contact details for this illusive and seemingly secret society. The Steelseries website is more than happy to try and peddle its wares at every turn but goes to every possible firetrucking effort to avoid any support requests or god forbid...complaints. I'd love to contact steelseries to inform them of my recently altered opinion of them (with FAR more profanities), but..well, I covered the futility that area already.

Right. I feel a little better. Now, to the issue at hand.

My problem is this, I install the Zboard Win 7 64bit drivers which goes off without a hitch. I then run the program, all seems normal there to. I am even able to remap keys, save mods(key profiles) all with out any hassle. The problem arises when I actually go to use any of said mods.

I set the mod as active and start the desired game (tested many) only on starting the has been absolutely no key change at all even though the z board swear everything is running as it should be. I then open a notepad to confirm only to find in spite of the remapping that should have taken place. each key comes no different as I type it.

Basically this software seems to be nothing but a placebo. The fact the Drivers are dated Jun 2008 probably does help matters but they are advertised as Win 7 64 bit

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Hexalude

Win 7 64bit

Pentium i5 CPU

eVGA GTX 285 SuperClock Ed

6 Gb DDR 3 Ram

750 Watt Apevia PSU

Edited by Hexalude

I had problems with my zBoard on XP about 2 years ago. Support did not answer me so I bought a G15. Works flawlessly to this day. I suggest you do the same.

I had problems with my zBoard on XP about 2 years ago. Support did not answer me so I bought a G15. Works flawlessly to this day. I suggest you do the same.

G15 doesn't have the dedicated game keys down the left like the Merc does which is my preference. It does work however :P.

Anyway, does anyone use a Merc Stealth on Win 7 64bit with success?

Edited by Hexalude

G15 doesn't have the dedicated game keys down the left like the Merc does which is my preference. It does work however :P.

No, it has G-keys that you can customize yourself to work with EVERY game, not just the single game/board setup you have now.

Also, your issue was buying Steel Series. Really only should stay within the Logitech/Razer/Microsoft brands when it comes to peripherals like keyboards and mice.

No, it has G-keys that you can customize yourself to work with EVERY game, not just the single game/board setup you have now.

Also, your issue was buying Steel Series. Really only should stay within the Logitech/Razer/Microsoft brands when it comes to peripherals like keyboards and mice.

Yes but the layout is .. Look at the Merc Stealth and the logitech G15 anf honestly tell me which looks more ergonomic for gaming.

Ok,

First a little vent. Steelseries would have to have the most worthless support section on the entire planet. It is designed purely to run you around the website through its extremely selective FAQs under the false firetrucking pretense of allowing you to fill out a mystical "work ticket" without actually given any way of actually contacting customer support. Even the almighty google could not turn up with any viable contact details for this illusive and seemingly secret society. The Steelseries website is more than happy to try and peddle its wares at every turn but goes to every possible firetrucking effort to avoid any support requests or god forbid...complaints. I'd love to contact steelseries to inform them of my recently altered opinion of them (with FAR more profanities), but..well, I covered the futility that area already.

Right. I feel a little better. Now, to the issue at hand.

My problem is this, I install the Zboard Win 7 64bit drivers which goes off without a hitch. I then run the program, all seems normal there to. I am even able to remap keys, save mods(key profiles) all with out any hassle. The problem arises when I actually go to use any of said mods.

I set the mod as active and start the desired game (tested many) only on starting the has been absolutely no key change at all even though the z board swear everything is running as it should be. I then open a notepad to confirm only to find in spite of the remapping that should have taken place. each key comes no different as I type it.

Basically this software seems to be nothing but a placebo. The fact the Drivers are dated Jun 2008 probably does help matters but they are advertised as Win 7 64 bit

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Hexalude

Win 7 64bit

Pentium i5 CPU

eVGA GTX 285 SuperClock Ed

6 Gb DDR 3 Ram

750 Watt Apevia PSU

Hi guy's,

Okay I figured out how to get this damn Z-engine to work with Windows7 x64. (without Steelseries poor support)

Once you make your mods, you have to activate the z engine for that mod. You'll know it's working when the first red light (above the key pad) is on and everything should work as you've set it up.

To activate the z engine you have to delete the sample game.exe, by clicking edit GameEXE

That's pretty much it, now that I've the z engine to work I love this keyboard.

I have mod's for different work flows on the PC, like Photoshop or file management, starting up different apps. It cool just to press a button and away you go.

Hope this helps out... :evilgrin:

I'm also having a problem with Z Engine. It's unrelated, but perhaps someone here has an answer. I've felt for years that this company seems very unprofessional; and that the software is filled with amateur level problems that have not been fixed. Here's my problem:

The Z Engine software randomly fails.

There is no warning and no way of knowing that it's happened until I notice that my keys are doing the wrong things. All of the special keys take on very strange functions, and obviously all custom key mappings are inactive. If I mouse over the taskbar icon, it displays my mod is loaded, but if I launch the software or click refresh, the mouseover switches to "Mod: none". If I open the software, the picture is blank gray; it does not recognize my device. I cannot reload the software; I have to shut down everything and restart the computer.

This is a major problem because I use a lot of custom key mappings in my general Windows productivity. This has been happening about once every two days, for at least two years; possibly for as long as I've had this computer. It was happening when I was still using Windows Vista, and it continues on Windows 7.

I keep thinking the company will fix this; but I'm seeing that's not going to happen. I thought it may be an interaction with another program, but it still happens even when I have only basic programs active.

My basics:

Windows 7 32-bit

Merc (Z Board, Ideazon / Steelseries)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 (W) 5000+ 2.6 GHz

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1950

I really hope someone can help with this.

Please, and Thank You.

Edited by Abstract

I'm also having a problem with Z Engine. It's unrelated, but perhaps someone here has an answer. I've felt for years that this company seems very unprofessional; and that the software is filled with amateur level problems that have not been fixed. Here's my problem:

The Z Engine software randomly fails.

There is no warning and no way of knowing that it's happened until I notice that my keys are doing the wrong things. All of the special keys take on very strange functions, and obviously all custom key mappings are inactive. If I mouse over the taskbar icon, it displays my mod is loaded, but if I launch the software or click refresh, the mouseover switches to "Mod: none". If I open the software, the picture is blank gray; it does not recognize my device. I cannot reload the software; I have to shut down everything and restart the computer.

This is a major problem because I use a lot of custom key mappings in my general Windows productivity. This has been happening about once every two days, for at least two years; possibly for as long as I've had this computer. It was happening when I was still using Windows Vista, and it continues on Windows 7.

I keep thinking the company will fix this; but I'm seeing that's not going to happen. I thought it may be an interaction with another program, but it still happens even when I have only basic programs active.

My basics:

Windows 7 32-bit

Merc (Z Board, Ideazon / Steelseries)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 (W) 5000+ 2.6 GHz

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1950

I really hope someone can help with this.

Please, and Thank You.

First off download the newest version of zboard (ZEngine x86 v2.5.0.30)

Uninstall the old ver (delete trace files) Then install new ver.

Right click on zboard.exe, properties, compatibility, Run as "Windows Vista service pack 2" and as "Administrator" , OK.

once in zboard, disable skins... (important)

This should help, try it out...

First off download the newest version of zboard (ZEngine x86 v2.5.0.30)

Uninstall the old ver (delete trace files) Then install new ver.

Right click on zboard.exe, properties, compatibility, Run as "Windows Vista service pack 2" and as "Administrator" , OK.

once in zboard, disable skins... (important)

This should help, try it out...

Hello guys,

You can try something else go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and rename Alpham1.sys Alpham2.sys (on 64 bit versions Alpham264.sys Alpham164.sys) to Alpham1.sys.old Alpham2.sys.old. Unplug the keyboard plug it back in.

Let me know if you are still having trouble.

Regards