i7 2600K beats i7 980X?

I know this is a very simple question, but I have read some reviews in many forums and benchmark websites... Some of them said, the i7 2600K beats i7 980X... Is that true?

I have never thought that a hexa-core gulftown would be beaten by a quad-core i7 2600k... the speed is quite the same, 3.33 and 3.4Ghz.. I still don't understand this...

Please forgive me for being such a fool and dummy, But I just want to know, please someone make this thing clear for me... >.<

this is the example one of the benchmark sites I found...

http://cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

thanks.....

regards

Liclac

well...I have seen the review on OCC too... the different just quite a little.... If I were true, I read a sentence said that the 2600k is almost the same as 980X in overall.... does the architecture of a processor affect the speed very much?

Most of the time , all 6 cores are hardly used. Thats is why the 2600k comes close. If you have a 980x then just oc it to 4.5ghz and it will be a beast.

If you have to upgrade , then wait for the Socket 2011 12 core cpu's .

if we discuss performace per price 2600k is far better, but if we instead look at pure performance the 980x is marginally better over all, but the 2600k has better overclocking wich makes them on par if that is considered. overall per clock and core the 2600k is at least 40% better than 980x... (performace per dollar is although much better on the 2500k since it is practically a 2600k without hyperthreading)

Thank you so much to you all for replying and explaining me... :)

Most of the time , all 6 cores are hardly used. Thats is why the 2600k comes close. If you have a 980x then just oc it to 4.5ghz and it will be a beast.

no I don't have 980x, I just want to compare it... :)

so the 2600k is the fastest regular i7 processor now if we toss away the i7 X? (980x, 975x)

all 6 cores are hardly used until now? I think all softwares right now have prepared themselves for 6-core processor... hmm....That's explaining why 2600k comes close.... thanks Nyt Ryda!! ^^

If I had to build a new pc right now I would pick the 2600K over the 980x hands down.

980X's price is overkill... of course I would take 2600k if I had to build a PC too... :)

I would put it ahead of the 975, but definitely behind the 970 and 980x - these both are 6c/12t 32nm processors.

Think you mean 12threads/virtual cores. I know there's the Xeons with 10c/20t, but..

Think you mean 12threads/virtual cores. I know there's the Xeons with 10c/20t, but..

I thought I heard something about 12 cores on Socket 2011 but 6 and 8 cores are confirmed so we'll have to wait and see

If there are, I think those would be Westmere-ex, like the 10c/20t with 4-qpi, series 7k Xeons.

O.O... I feel if I wanted one of these I would have to rob a bank.

<.<

>.>

*Grabs Shotgun, ski mask, and steals get away car.* :ph34r:

I can't wait to see a Dual Xeon board with these chips if they do ever come into existence. Not like I could ever get one unless the plan above goes as well as I am hoping it will.

Edited by gabrieltessin