ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10

zackhaf

So i decided to put Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop awhile back, make it a bit snappier over win 7 and its good because the laptop is quite old anyways. My question is how to update to ubuntu 10.10 without reinstallation. Is there a way?

So i decided to put Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop awhile back, make it a bit snappier over win 7 and its good because the laptop is quite old anyways. My question is how to update to ubuntu 10.10 without reinstallation. Is there a way?

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/about-ubuntu/C/upgrade.html

It is very easy to do. I think there is a way to do it from command line, but the graphical way will work fine.

thanks for that info, it looks pretty good. unfortunately, i get this when i try to upgrade.

"could not calculate the upgrade. An unresolvable problem occured when calculating the upgrade: trying to install blacklisted version 'blcr-dkms_0.8.2-13"

it gives a list of reasons why, like upgrading to a pre-release version or unofficial software packages, none of which i have or am aware i have.

any ideas what this might be about?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a handy update guide here at Unixmen.com, you'll love 10.10 I'm using it right now and the only issue I had was installing it without ATI drivers I lost video output and thus had to slap in an old nVidia GFX card (as they have better support) until I'd loaded the appropriate ATI driver support :thumbsup:

From what I'm reading the upgrade needs you to have all the updates installed already for the current version you're using, have you done that yet?

Edited by tazwegion